Is Understaffed Cheaper?

Basement Dweller

Express was paying temp agencies almost twice the pay of a normal employee to toss boxes at the Memp and Indy Hubs. They were flying in immigrants from Somalia and putting them up in hotels during peak. It gets to the point where the place was so understaffed the hub couldn't function effectively. Sorts were going on 3-5 hours longer than usual, pushing full time employees into double time overtime. Things have slowed down a bit now that the covid fearmongering is over but you're generally right. Fedex wants that right amount of employees to keep labor costs to a minimum and profits to a maximum.

!Retired!

Seriously? You consider the PPA to be a pension? You'd starve to death on income from it!

Is it still offered as of 2022? Or have we fully transitioned to just the 401K and its temporary 8% match?
But, it is a pension. Free money is free money.
I retired in March and rolled the PPA money into an IRA. Thanks to the person handling it, it's up a nice chunk :-), even in a down market. Unlike the few bucks I left in my 401K, which is down about 10% >:(

FedEx does not offer a pension plan to anyone hired after 1/1/21, only a 401K. Many many companies are heading in the same direction.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Managers looked the other way because it kept them off the hot seat. Couriers used it because they were tasked with ridiculous requests. “Take and make service on this FO that totally disrupts your route”. It was abused until District put the clamps on it.
Those are dumb reasons to misuse it.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Those are dumb reasons to misuse it.
I agree. As a swing driver, I always did my best. As a route driver, my goal was always 100% service with no mistakes (overlooks). There were no couriers who could beat my numbers on my route, so I didn’t care what the goals were.
No brag.
Just facts.

MassWineGuy

Express was paying temp agencies almost twice the pay of a normal employee to toss boxes at the Memp and Indy Hubs. They were flying in immigrants from Somalia and putting them up in hotels during peak. It gets to the point where the place was so understaffed the hub couldn't function effectively. Sorts were going on 3-5 hours longer than usual, pushing full time employees into double time overtime. Things have slowed down a bit now that the covid fearmongering is over but you're generally right. Fedex wants that right amount of employees to keep labor costs to a minimum and profits to a maximum.

Immigrants from Somalia? Come on, now.

MassWineGuy

According to a leaked internal study by Amazon, at the current rate of attrition there the company will exhaust the U.S. work force by 2024.

Mutineer

According to a leaked internal study by Amazon, at the current rate of attrition there the company will exhaust the U.S. work force by 2024.
That nonsense fits the narrative.

No company anywhere is going to "exhaust the U.S. workforce." Not by a long shot.

In the days before the internet, it took a very looong time (if ever) for word to get out that a particular company is terrible to work for. For the most part, people had to discover that fact the hard way.

The U.S. is only running out of citizens who are willing to work for companies that treat their workers like garbage.

So don't worry. Our foreign-born replacements will save Amazon, and many other companies. Maybe even save the company that YOU work(ed) for.