Issues with UPS

A few months ago (End of Peak), there were some surprising changes at the Bethlehem, pa center. They started asking drivers 04's and 03's to stop driving, change to loading the trucks, and change the schedule from a normal driving day 9-5 to a split 4am-8am and then 4pm-8pm. This was asked of many drivers that had been driving for 2+ years. WTF!!! The boss of the center asked us to do this crazy schedule and ridiculous work with a smirk on his face. Then said, we understand if you guys quit, its expected because of how unorthodox this is, but its what we want until things pick back up....

At the same time of asking the drivers to do that crazy split shift and increased workload, they did indeed bring a few new people into full time driving positions. One lady that had started just a few months before the end of peak was given a full time route while they basically made everyone else to quit and or accept being laid off, and that is still going on. Some drivers that had been driving for more than 3 years are laid off until now from the end of peak.

Is this reasonable when we are supposed to be a strong "Union"? I find it unacceptable. And I am looking to file a class action suit. Are other centers experiencing anything like this? From my understanding, the Union leaders accepted this girl being given a full time router while they were laying off or making quit the 04's and 03's. I feel the Bethlehem, pa center needs to be looked at under a microscope by someone that can do it.

A few months ago (End of Peak), there were some surprising changes at the Bethlehem, pa center. They started asking drivers 04's and 03's to stop driving, change to loading the trucks, and change the schedule from a normal driving day 9-5 to a split 4am-8am and then 4pm-8pm. This was asked of many drivers that had been driving for 2+ years. WTF!!! The boss of the center asked us to do this crazy schedule and ridiculous work with a smirk on his face. Then said, we understand if you guys quit, its expected because of how unorthodox this is, but its what we want until things pick back up....

At the same time of asking the drivers to do that crazy split shift and increased workload, they did indeed bring a few new people into full time driving positions. One lady that had started just a few months before the end of peak was given a full time route while they basically made everyone else to quit and or accept being laid off, and that is still going on. Some drivers that had been driving for more than 3 years are laid off until now from the end of peak.

Is this reasonable when we are supposed to be a strong "Union"? I find it unacceptable. And I am looking to file a class action suit. Are other centers experiencing anything like this? From my understanding, the Union leaders accepted this girl being given a full time router while they were laying off or making quit the 04's and 03's. I feel the Bethlehem, pa center needs to be looked at under a microscope by someone that can do it.
How long have you been here?

It seriously seems like the Union here is in cahoots with the leadership. Was specifically told by our current union rep that we could not file a grievance because the Union a few rings up from him agreed to the girl being promoted ahead of everyone that had been here for years. And each time we went to file a grievance in the past, the union steward at that time told us specifically " Don't file against this supervisor, he is one of the good guys". On 3 separate occasions, for 3 different sups...Seriously, if there is someone in the union higher up that thinks any of this is not ok, please get back to me here so we can discuss. Bethlehem center strong-arming us to quit!!! 100%. IM NOT QUITTING!!!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

File for unemployment all at once my guess
Is they’ll find something for you to do

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
OP never mentions words like LAYOFF or SENIORITY so I suspect they are absolutely clueless about where they are at right now. What the hell even is an oh-four oh-three, brainwashed by management terms I suspect.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Here's how it is in my neck in the woods, and their language will probably be pretty damn close:
1. You should have the right to not work and to file for unemployment when on FT layoff.
2. You should have the right to displace the two lowest seniority part time employees (or just one, and work part time, by your own choice) for your 8 hour garuntee.
3. You should have the right to 8 hours of work, with no longer than 1 (or 1.5) hours of unpaid time inbetween, when scheduled to work.
4. The company is obligated to inform you and the union hall of a layoff by mail.
5. The company is obligated to inform you of a layoff recall by mail.
6. The company should not train and utilize probationary drivers while other drivers are on layoff except in certain instances of demonstrated need.

Whither

Scofflaw
It seriously seems like the Union here is in cahoots with the leadership. Was specifically told by our current union rep that we could not file a grievance because the Union a few rings up from him agreed to the girl being promoted ahead of everyone that had been here for years. And each time we went to file a grievance in the past, the union steward at that time told us specifically " Don't file against this supervisor, he is one of the good guys". On 3 separate occasions, for 3 different sups...Seriously, if there is someone in the union higher up that thinks any of this is not ok, please get back to me here so we can discuss. Bethlehem center strong-arming us to quit!!! 100%. IM NOT QUITTING!!!
My advice is: FILE, FILE, FILE. Pester your stew and BA and tell them you will show up to your hearings. I have a complacent BA. I honestly don't think he's "on the payroll"; I think my local, like the membership, has taken the easy way out. Any important cases I go to local hearings and argue them myself.

Rpcd?

Should be a lot of grievances being filed,no way someone with little seniority should be working while someone with years more seniority is sitting at home,our contract is there for reasons just like that

Up In Smoke

It's very simple, every seniority employee must appear on a weekly work schedule. Ours is by classification, in seniority order and posted by Friday 4pm. If you are listed with a start time, show up and demand your guarantee. If you are called off, ask which shift(s) are available to receive your guarantee. If you are scheduled as laid off, again ask which shift(s) are available. If someone with less seniority gets a work opportunity, get with your steward and go through the grievance procedure to recoup your loss. This is YOUR career and it's your responsibility to maximize your earnings. If the stewards are not doing their jobs, first contact your BA, and if necessary the local E board. Again, your job, your responsibility.

DOK

They cut routes when it gets light, the past 2 years they hired a bunch of drivers because we were busy from the pandemic, now that we’re lighter they cut routes and offer drivers to work the preload and local sort when there’s no driving work, that’s how it’s been since I’ve been there since the 80’s.

542thruNthru

Here's how it is in my neck in the woods, and their language will probably be pretty damn close:
1. You should have the right to not work and to file for unemployment when on FT layoff.
2. You should have the right to displace the two lowest seniority part time employees (or just one, and work part time, by your own choice) for your 8 hour garuntee.
3. You should have the right to 8 hours of work, with no longer than 1 (or 1.5) hours of unpaid time inbetween, when scheduled to work.
4. The company is obligated to inform you and the union hall of a layoff by mail.
5. The company is obligated to inform you of a layoff recall by mail.
6. The company should not train and utilize probationary drivers while other drivers are on layoff except in certain instances of demonstrated need.
I'm quote you because you seem to be in the same area as the OP.

Sounds like 22.4s and 22.3s are not being allowed to driver anymore. It also sounds like this lower seniority person was made a RPCD and now has classification seniority over the 22.4s and 22.3s that have been displaced.

Seem the grievance would be that the lower seniority person was given a RPCD job before the others. That if they actually signed the bid sheets.

Also shouldn't 22.3s only be doing air driver work?