Issues with UPS

They cut routes when it gets light, the past 2 years they hired a bunch of drivers because we were busy from the pandemic, now that we’re lighter they cut routes and offer drivers to work the preload and local sort when there’s no driving work, that’s how it’s been since I’ve been there since the 80’s.
Hmm, so a split shift is an option for them to put you on? 4am-8am then 4pm-8pm? A very motivated new Steward found that it should be a straight 8. So, they were in violation of the contract by making us do split shifts. That was just their attempt to make us quit. You sound like a supervisor, siding on the wrong way to do things.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Also shouldn't 22.3s only be doing air driver work?
We have 22.3 combo workers here, who do air driving and work in the building.
I dont know if you realize this but there are different regions that work under different contracts or supplements at UPS, so that what happens in your region may not be true at another one....

542thruNthru

I dont know if you realize this but there are different regions that work under different contracts or supplements at UPS, so that what happens in your region may not be true at another one....
Um, isn't that what I just said? I didn't think I had to spell out the whole job description for you. My understanding is 22.3s can perform air work as part of their combo but not ground.

Shift 2

I'm quote you because you seem to be in the same area as the OP.

Sounds like 22.4s and 22.3s are not being allowed to driver anymore. It also sounds like this lower seniority person was made a RPCD and now has classification seniority over the 22.4s and 22.3s that have been displaced.

Seem the grievance would be that the lower seniority person was given a RPCD job before the others. That if they actually signed the bid sheets.

22.3 doesn’t drive at all. Air is done by article 40 drivers.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
You’re not even a real driver.
1651343749692.gif

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.

Sounds like 22.4s and 22.3s are not being allowed to driver anymore. It also sounds like this lower seniority person was made a RPCD and now has classification seniority over the 22.4s and 22.3s that have been displaced.

Seem the grievance would be that the lower seniority person was given a RPCD job before the others. That if they actually signed the bid sheets.

Shots fired! Thread is trending in the right direction now

ManInBrown

A few months ago (End of Peak), there were some surprising changes at the Bethlehem, pa center. They started asking drivers 04's and 03's to stop driving, change to loading the trucks, and change the schedule from a normal driving day 9-5 to a split 4am-8am and then 4pm-8pm. This was asked of many drivers that had been driving for 2+ years. WTF!!! The boss of the center asked us to do this crazy schedule and ridiculous work with a smirk on his face. Then said, we understand if you guys quit, its expected because of how unorthodox this is, but its what we want until things pick back up....

At the same time of asking the drivers to do that crazy split shift and increased workload, they did indeed bring a few new people into full time driving positions. One lady that had started just a few months before the end of peak was given a full time route while they basically made everyone else to quit and or accept being laid off, and that is still going on. Some drivers that had been driving for more than 3 years are laid off until now from the end of peak.

Is this reasonable when we are supposed to be a strong "Union"? I find it unacceptable. And I am looking to file a class action suit. Are other centers experiencing anything like this? From my understanding, the Union leaders accepted this girl being given a full time router while they were laying off or making quit the 04's and 03's. I feel the Bethlehem, pa center needs to be looked at under a microscope by someone that can do it.
Van Buren Bethlehem or the old building? That Van Buren location is the weirdest place I’ve ever been. Covered a job where I went there at peak right after it opened. Was told by a feeder driver that every FT hourly in the place was off the street. And after a certain period of time feeders from the old location could dovetail in. How does that fly in that local? Mind boggling.

DOK

Also shouldn't 22.3s only be doing air
Hmm, so a split shift is an option for them to put you on? 4am-8am then 4pm-8pm? A very motivated new Steward found that it should be a straight 8. So, they were in violation of the contract by making us do split shifts. That was just their attempt to make us quit. You sound like a supervisor, siding on the wrong way to do things.
That might be true in the new contract, I would be surprised, ups just doesn’t create jobs if there isn’t any packages to move around. It sucks and we were all at the bottom at one time. Actually now that I think of it, back in the olden days they only allowed you to work either the morning shift or the evening, not both. I hope you’re correct and you guys get it straightened out.

Commercial Inside Release

As previously mentioned by @eats packages , most places you can file on split shifts that have a gap longer than 1.5hrs