It’s about to get real here in 705!

cachmeifucan

UPS isn’t budging on the 22.4s in 710s negotiations, it’s happening sadly. I have 3 kids and we pay $10 copay per visit, healthcare is outstanding, you seem to be misinformed on that issue at least. Pension system is broke, nobody disagrees with that statement. 705/710 will not be striking, Hoffa isn’t allowing it, I’ll take all bets on that.
We may not strike but 22.4 will not be in 705. IL bet on that.

BuckyBadger

I'm respectful of what this guy has to say about 710, however, the only reason he'll give you that Hoffa won't allow it is "it's never happened before".

That's not evidence of anything. We've never had a National get vote down by the majority of voters and then passed on a technicality. So never say never.

We're preparing here as though 705 will strike. This will be one crazy peak.

cachmeifucan

None of the members have any respect for Hoffa I'm not sure how the administration feels but he would have to drag me from the picket line. If our local calls a strike not even trump is stopping us.

babboo25

Banned
You ignored my post.
I did not say Hoffa would, or would not.

I asked on what grounds he would disallow it.
The question still stands. Answer?
Do you remember when 710 was placed in trusteeship a few years ago under Flynn? Who put them and took them out of trusteeship? HOFFA did, I don’t know the proper lingo for your question but he has the power to do whatever he wants with 710 or 705.

BuckyBadger

straight from the mouth of our president...

So what did he say?

And hasn't 705 negotiated a different contract from the National before?

bowhnterdon

Do you remember when 710 was placed in trusteeship a few years ago under Flynn? Who put them and took them out of trusteeship? HOFFA did, I don’t know the proper lingo for your question but he has the power to do whatever he wants with 710 or 705.
Correct, and he will not allow a strike

cachmeifucan

Yes it was because the guy was giving gift cards or some shady things. He knows if he took over our union a national contract would never pass. In 705 we vote and we could easily get 75% if we needed. It would easily be 10,000 no votes then our guys would be all over the country educating other locals. Good luck to the guys in freight. If they strike the members will loose in short term but win in the long run. The company will offer better contract in future

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You ignored my post.
I did not say Hoffa would, or would not.

I asked on what grounds he would disallow it.
The question still stands. Answer?

He has pretty broad power, over all locals, even those outside of the National Master.

A strike would affect the International and almost all locals under the Master.

IBT Constitution

Article VI Section 5(a)

If the General President has or receives information which leads him to believe that any of the officers of a Local Union or other subordinate body are dishonest or incompetent, or that such organization is not being conducted in accordance with the Constitution and laws of the International Union or for the benefit of the membership, or is being conducted in such a manner as to jeopardize the interests of the International Union or its subordinate bodies, or if the General President believes that such action is necessary for the purpose of correcting corruption or financial malpractice, assuring the performance of collective bargaining agreements or other duties of a bargaining representative, restoring democratic procedures or preventing any action which is disruptive of, or interferes with the performance of obligations of other members or Local Unions under collective bargaining agreements, or otherwise carrying out legitimate objects of the subordinate body, he may appoint a temporary Trustee to take charge and control of the affairs of such Local Union or other subordinate body

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
When do we vote on the different slates? I got handed flyers from both slates walking in the building today.
@Waldo: If you are now eligible to vote, a ballot packet should have already been mailed to you. I don't have the specific details of eligibility, but it's probably some combination of made it through the probationary period at work (40 days worked in Local 705), and having paid the initiation fee in full ($100 for part-time in L705; unfortunately fees, dues, and 'special assessments' are not broken out separately on your paystub-you'd have to do the math yourself by adding up what you've paid, or call the union's 'dues department' to ask about your status).