It Appears I'm Being Fired - Please help...

upser_J

Why the payment was late could have been any number of reasons, including the PO dependable service.

hey just cuz u put a stamp on it, put it in the mailbox, and i pick it up; doesn't mean its gonna get delivered any time this month to the same town.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Not really important to me if you believe me or not. Those that are helping, I appreciate it. Those that don't believe me, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Here was my house fire -

[video=youtube;WKe-MxAulsA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKe-MxAulsA[/video]

Currently allowed to work local sort - was told there will be a decision "this week"

upser_J

Not really important to me if you believe me or not. Those that are helping, I appreciate it. Those that don't believe me, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Here was my house fire -

YouTube - 01.04.09 - 2nd Alarm House Fire, 1779 Kline Ave. Salisbury Twp. PA

Currently allowed to work local sort - was told there will be a decision "this week"
u have nothing to tell the idiots that don't wanna help butjust make things difficult for you! good luck with everything, keep us posted on events!

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Nah, if
only he would lose the BS. he might gain weight in BC.

For you, I have no intention other than to
use the truth, and you can either believe what I say or you
can chose not to. I've seen your posts, and although I do not
know you personally, your online persona doesn't impress me.

On the off-chance that your online attitude is just a
farce, a way to just get a rise out of people (kind of like, well, me
for example!) then please just carry on, or ignore me. Whatever.

(Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. I am honored, even if it is only you.)

kingOFchester

WOW, that really sucks. You have certainly been playing cards with a bad hand after bad hand after bad hand......for a while. I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted and please don't go MIA. Some of us do enjoy your posts and would like to hear how things work out for you, a fellow UPSer.

iowa boy

WOW, that really sucks. You have certainly been playing cards with a bad hand after bad hand after bad hand......for a while. I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted and please don't go MIA. Some of us do enjoy your posts and would like to hear how things work out for you, a fellow UPSer.

X2 LTD!

Good Luck to you man. I found the long version of that video on Youtube and I could not believe what I was watching. You lost everything didn't you? I have two good friends that both went thru the anguish and BS of dealing with the aftermath of a fire and all i can say is wow!! I feel for you man I really do. Hang in there, it will work out in the end.

iowa

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Yeah, in the fire we lost everything. Uninsured of course. That is a whole story in itself, where that is at.

This job problem was presented to me last Thursday. We're going on Weds., and nobody at UPS has an answer as to what is happening / going to happen. I will hear "this week".

I went from horror, to satisfaction of making sure I took care of my end, and now I'm creeping into anger - I'm pissed that nobody will tell me anything, be it good or bad.

The local-sort manager, who I like, calls me "black cloud". Won't stand within 20 feet of me, for fear of it rubbing off on him.

tieguy

Banned
Well, let's start with these exerpts from Article 4 of the Contract. Note how it says "active involvement" and "representation." The Steward is not just window dressing, or just a passive witness to the events.

ARTICLE 4 --- STEWARDS
"The Employer recognizes the right of the Local Union to designate Job Stewards and alternates from the Employer’s seniority list."

"Recognizing the importance of the role of the Union Steward in resolving problems or disputes between the Employer and its employees, the Employer reaffirms its commitment to the active involvement of union stewards in such processes in accordance with the terms of this Article."

"Upon notification to his or her supervisor, a steward shall be afforded the right to leave his/her work area for a reasonable period of time to investigate, present and process grievances and to represent a fellow employee concerning grievances or discipline so long as such activity does not interrupt the Employer’s operations. The Employer will make a reasonable effort to insure that its operations are not interrupted by the steward’s engaging in such activity. The Employer shall not use interruption of its operation as a subterfuge for denying such right to the steward."

"The Employer recognizes the employee’s right to be given requested representation by a Steward, or the designated alternate, at such time as the employee reasonably contemplates disciplinary action."

- - - - -
A difficult manager may withhold the intent of a meeting until he has to reveal it during his opening statement or question. But he is not entitled to any response by the accused. The accused is under no obligation to assist in his own entrapment. If the manager then wants to fire the employee, he must have "cause," and follow proceedure, and must be prepared to prove his case at the panel. On discharge cases, the burden of proof is on management.

Stewards are management's equals when in the office representing an employee. The full extent of steward's rights is spelled out in numerous statements and decisions by the NLRB, which await your perusal.

Jon I don't see anything in the wording that specifically addresses the point. There is nothing in the language that states the steward is managements equal. Management still controls the meeting and per the contractual language still has the autonomy to decide when and how the involvement will be granted.

Specifically there is no language that mandates full disclosure prior to the meeting. There is no language that mandates that the steward even has the right to speak in the meeting. The only right that is clearly mandated is the stewards right to attend and witness the interview.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tie

As a steward, I have a right to know what the meeting is about. That is the only way I can properly represent the driver. Any obstruction by management to interfere with that right is not viewed by me or the union very favorably.

Basically, if you tried that the way this was represented to have gone down, I would have excused both the driver and myself. Then met with management to find out what was going on. In the event of no answer from management, the meeting would be over. Period. Next meeting would be with the BA.

You want treated with respect when in the office by the union representative, then show respect.

The way this supposedly was handled showed no respect what so ever to the driver or the steward.

We are not little children here, we are adults. But not acting like these guys did.

d

bigbrownhen

I try to ingnore the back and forth drama. I just hope you get your job reinstated and everything else works out for you. You seem to have a case of bad luck for sure.

Best of luck to you.

tourists24

Jon I don't see anything in the wording that specifically addresses the point. There is nothing in the language that states the steward is managements equal. Management still controls the meeting and per the contractual language still has the autonomy to decide when and how the involvement will be granted.

Specifically there is no language that mandates full disclosure prior to the meeting. There is no language that mandates that the steward even has the right to speak in the meeting. The only right that is clearly mandated is the stewards right to attend and witness the interview.

http://www.umass.edu/usa/weingarten.htm

Tie; here is a little info that gives a little more insight about representation and steward rights based on the whole byproduct of Weingarten. It explains that a steward is NOT merely a witness

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tie, to save you time

Union Representative's Rights Under Weingarten
You are not required to merely be 'silent witness'. You have the right to:

1. be informed by the supervisor of the subject matter of the interview
  2. take the employee aside for a private conference before questioning begins
  3. speak during the interview
  4. request that the supervisor clarify a question so that what is being asked is understood
  5. give employee advice on how to answer a question
    [*]provide additional information to the supervisor at the end of the questioning

I think that wraps up that question.

Any more? They violated his rights, and that of the steward. But it is up to the employee and the steward to know those rights.

Best

d

Last edited:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Another good source of info is a little book entitled 'rights of union stewards' from cafe press that addresses many precedent setting NLRA cases where among other issues, the concept of the steward being equal to management during the meeting with a member is explained rather well. It's a fact.

satellitedriver

For you, I have no intention other than to
use the truth, and you can either believe what I say or you
can chose not to. I've seen your posts, and although I do not
know you personally, your online persona doesn't impress me.

On the off-chance that your online attitude is just a
farce, a way to just get a rise out of people (kind of like, well, me
for example!) then please just carry on, or ignore me. Whatever.

(Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. I am honored, even if it is only you.)

I was agreeing with you when I posted this;
LTD,
BS.
SD
The charges are BS, in my opinion.
Things went south, when I let my sardonic humor came into play.
O9 posted this;
L
B
S

Are you calling him fat?

I responded with this rejoinder;

Nah, if
only he would lose the BS. he might gain weight in BC.

If you would read my response, in the humor intended, you might glean that I was using a double entendre.
Lbs, weight and bs, ect...., if I have to explain it I guess my joke missed the mark.
Sorry your house burnt.
My "online" persona is exactly who I am. If you are not impressed, cool with me. I have never intended to impress anyone.
Now that you have brought up truth, lets speak facts.
You drove without a valid license, and didn't even know it.
You lived in a home without proper insurance and obviate why you were not covered.
You start a thread and ask a question that can be only answered by your own past actions.
I will carry on and thrive.
You can continue doing "Whatever" you do.
PS,
Never have I, or would I, imitate any of your actions.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You lived in a home without proper insurance and obviate why you were not covered

Livin

That fact is something that has bothered me a bit. It speaks volumes about a person that either has issues with responsibility, or make bad choices. I also understand being behind the financial eightball, but to not have insurance on your home or belongings?

I find that the only way that is possible for you to own the house and not have insurance is that you either dont have a mortgage, or you were just renting (or mooching off someone) so then that would not make that your house, but someone else's. Then that leaves the issue of the contents of the home. Totally a lack of adult responsibility to not have insurance in the event of a loss.

So while you did have some issues regarding your right to proper representation at the initial hearing, there are a lot of things in the background that would cause me to wonder......

I guess your signature line says a lot toward the issue "Too Bad Real Life Doesn't Have An "Ignore List" " I think you did ignore real life, and it has come back to bit you in the rear. You put it on ignore, and now because of that, there are issues.

Me thinks you will get your job back, but you also need to use this as a learning experience.

d

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
...PS, Never have I, or would I, imitate any of your actions.

On the contrary, the whole "2nd meaning" by using the first letter in a sentence here was started by me. I'm just better at it, because you don't even see when I do it.

If your posts were meant to be humorous, then I apologize - I didn't get it.

Dannyboy - I understand what you say. Home was rented, no renters insurance, homeowner had no insurance.

The matters in my life that I bring up here, have brought up in the past, are a mere fraction, a fraction of a fraction if you will, of the complications in my life in the past decade or so. Not complaining, because I believe everyone has to deal with the cards that they are dealt. However, I'm pretty sure that, If I told here of every major catastrophe that my family has had in the past decade, you would simply not believe it. In the midst of this, details get lost, and here we are.