It's a wrap........

Good for you. Enjoy the hell out of retirement. It still boggles my mind why anyone would want to do one more day at UPS after they were qualified to retire.
Roll back the clock 20 years. If your pension plan was in the same shape back then as it is now, would you still retired?
So many of these pension plans are in bad shape and many have taken steep cuts.
If you are on the younger side you have a long wait to tap in to your 401k and even a longer wait to get social security.

Shiftless

Roll back the clock 20 years. If your pension plan was in the same shape back then as it is now, would you still retired?
If you are on the younger side you have a long wait to tap in to your 401k and even a longer wait to get social security.

Isn't it all about choices tho?

We really can't predict accurately the future other than one day we will no longer walk the surface of the earth and even that we can only know its coming and can prepare for that eventual day. Same with retirement. So the choice we make to live our live's is different yet individual to each person. The choices you make during your life ( planning, saving, investing) really are key factors when you retire. Let alone life coming at you unexpectedly such as health issues, life altering injuries and divorce.

This is why I retired early. My perception of living well may not be the same as others but it seems to me we all have the end goal of retiring and it is just a choice of how, where and when to do it. Working 10 to 12 hours a day for more than 30 years made NO sense to me and especially so when I would be leaving "SO MUCH MONEY" on the table.

Gotta Love Choices!

We really can't predict accurately the future other than one day we will no longer walk the surface of the earth and even that we can only know its coming and can prepare for that eventual day. Same with retirement. So the choice we make to live our live's is different yet individual to each person. The choices you make during your life ( planning, saving, investing) really are key factors when you retire. Let alone life coming at you unexpectedly such as health issues, life altering injuries and divorce.

This is why I retired early. My perception of living well may not be the same as others but it seems to me we all have the end goal of retiring and it is just a choice of how, where and when to do it. Working 10 to 12 hours a day for more than 30 years made NO sense to me and especially so when I would be leaving "SO MUCH MONEY" on the table.

Gotta Love Choices!
My main concern is that my wife will have enough money to live in in case I am not around.

rod

Retired 22 years
Centra States pension plan has been in trouble for years. Even when I retired it wasn’t in good shape. That is a good question. I was ready to retire. I needed to retire. I was ready to strangle a few management. It appears at least you guys have a more stable pension plan with the company now so at least it will probably last as long as UPS lasts and if they fold you will all be friend’ed anyway. With the jing you guys are pulling in now days you should all have enough stashed away to live on. If I would have had a crystal ball I may have worked a couple of more years to the next contract so I could have gotten tied in with the Company Pension.

oldngray

nowhere special
Centra States pension plan has been in trouble for years. Even when I retired it wasn’t in good shape. That is a good question. I was ready to retire. I needed to retire. I was ready to strangle a few management. I appears at least you guys have a more stable pension plan with the company now so at least it will probably last as long as UPS lasts and if they fold you will all be friend’ed anyway. With the jing you guys are pulling in now days you should all have enough stashed away to live on. If I would have had a crystal ball I may have worked a couple of more years to the next contract so I could have gotten tied in with the Company Pension.
Central States has been in trouble for 30 or 40 years but they kept ignoring the problems.

Centra States pension plan has been in trouble for years. Even when I retired it wasn’t in good shape. That is a good question. I was ready to retire. I needed to retire. I was ready to strangle a few management. It appears at least you guys have a more stable pension plan with the company now so at least it will probably last as long as UPS lasts and if they fold you will all be friend’ed anyway. With the jing you guys are pulling in now days you should all have enough stashed away to live on. If I would have had a crystal ball I may have worked a couple of more years to the next contract so I could have gotten tied in with the Company Pension.
I'm going to stick it out to the end of this contract to see what other give backs we give before i check out of this place

quad decade guy

Gotta Love Choices!

Right. There were so many good points in your comments. I'm excoriated for "not saving enough money..." whatever that means. I've seen how many people live and tout their 401k blah blah. I wouldn't trade with them. I've done and doing things they could only dream about and never will. I've been flying for 40 years. They won't even live that much longer. Couldn't imagine trying to get a flight physical that late in life. Most people work into their 60's and live 10-15 years and die. That's statically normal. Quite normal. But yet for me, BC's consider me a failure. So odd. To wait till the last quarter of your life to "live" when you're at a reduced capacity seems tragic. Having plenty of money and great insurance till I die seems ok to me. For me, there isn't anything out there so special I can't do it on the week ends.

rod

Retired 22 years
Central States has been in trouble for 30 or 40 years but they kept ignoring the problems.
No argument here but when the US government was appointed as overseer of the pension program in the 80’s they share the blame also. That is why I feel they should bail out us old timers who will lose our pension in 2025. jmo. They could bail out the banks and the auto industry and many more businesses but not a few old Teamsters they let down? By the time we get to 2025 there won’t be that many of us who retired before 2008 left.

I GOT ONE MORE

My 401k and IRA are funded well and I have a years income in savings. Toss in the pension and SSA, as well as the over priced equity from selling a paid off home here........and wa la, I will have a new home, truck, boat, etc.....and zero debt.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If inflation hits that retirement income is cut big time.

498A9299-8A51-4733-8CCC-5658A6E25A73.gif

Come on @Wally dont be a Debbie Downer

I GOT ONE MORE

Well Wally, it very well did happen. Bidenflation is alive and well.
However, being debt free pays it forward.
Being an active trader in the markets has helped massively too.
I rolled all retirement accounts into two accounts, traditional IRA and Roth IRA.
I can and do trade options and, can and do short the markets when appropriate.
Realized gains of 24% in 2022. How, with the markets down so?
Inverse ETF's.
Be careful, the knife cuts both ways