Its almost laughable...

PAS is a good system, all the PAS sites in our district have gotten misloads down to a nominal level through training and discipline if neccessary. Westsides's preload is getting all the attention because they have proven unable or unwilling to fix their problems. I don't care what Westside says, in my center we have a preloader who never has any missorts and several that have 3 or less per month. He either has not been trained properly or is not doing what he has been trained to do.

aspenleaf

Man, this could be a whole new thread.Ok how about this,
1... eliminate PAS...
2... eliminate preload...
Allow one driver to start at 5:00 AM and load the 3 cars in his loop.resulting in next to no misloads
and a next to perfect load in each car.
have part timers start at 4:00PM to keep FT
drivers under 9.5...
3...minimize supervisors...allow drivers to start
15 minutes before leaving the building to fix
overdispatching and other possible service failures.
I know ...I`m dreaming....

I don't think getting rid of the preload would fix your issues. Also what driver wants to come in and load 3 trucks and then be out all day making service? That might work in your center but not mine. As for next to no misloads (with drivers loading) don't kid yourself. I have found a few misloads from drivers who thought they were helping me.

PAS works from a company standpoint. Think about how easy it is to get stuff on the right truck (of course this is a problem for some loaders). You don't need to train someone for months on learning routes or addresses. Of course there are issues with PAS I have seen them myself but over all it seems to work.

westsideworma ~ I understand what you are saying. We had the IE folks bugging us a few weeks back and I was in trouble for leaving a bowflex out behind the truck (I had no other stacks) and he had a fit because it was not on the truck. I told him it would be going RDC at the end since the floor space was taken up by bulk stops. Also the PAL told me to put it on the top shelf and one of the IE interns pointed that out and he just grumbled and walked away.

Things look great on paper but they forget that all the packages are not small so we can't load stop for stop. Maybe IE should talk to our customers and tell them to only send stuff that will fit on the shelf they way they want it. :tongue_sm

aspenleaf

Just the center? How about UPS as a whole. Just three?

1. Identify and correct problem areas in PAS such as looping and the impact on preload.

2. Realistic time allowances.

3. Eliminate punishment management receives for a driver being under-dispatched.

I am not sure what looping is but if it has anything to do with the add/cuts we get daily then I agree they need to fix it. Every day we get misloads from the add/cuts.

I also wish they knew what the volume was prior to the end of the sort when they start adding or taking out trucks. That always creates a huge mess for everyone and I know the drivers get the worst of it because they no longer have a good load and packages are just tossed in where ever there is room.

I know a few of you don't like preload or have bad preloaders but try to understand that our start times are based upon projected volume. When we get a few hundred more packages we can't keep up with the volume and the add/cuts and being taken away from our trucks to go charge the cages for a few revs. We try our best and then next thing we know some driver is all pissy because things are not right. So the sup gets yelled at by the center manager and then we get yelled at and we are stuck just trying to do what were told. Keep in mind most of us have already yelled at the sup for things being a mess prior to the drivers showing up.

B

B166ER

He either has not been trained properly or is not doing what he has been trained to do.

You have just described every Teamster at UPS, essentially.

They've been trained plenty. That leaves the "is not doing what he has been trained to do" as the issue to be addressed - and they're being paid top rate to not do what they've been trained to do.

Put the Teamsters on the street while you reposition and train your new hires.

While you're doing that you put the IPA on the street too.

After those creme puffs sit on their butts and eat their savings for nine months or so they'll happily hire into the New Company that'll handle air for UPS for a lot less than they're making now.

There is nothing more satisfying than watching a dirty Teamster (or IAM or IPA or UAW or AMFA or UFCW or any other unionist) with his hat in hand begging work at Home Depot - and being turned away because THEY don't want him either.

Seriously, no matter how hectic things get, that image will always cheer you right up. It's good for a chuckle and smile *anytime*.

Get 'er done.

UPS Lifer

So the package center genie appears to you and says "You look tired and weary. I shall grant you any three wishes you want but they must improve the package center." What three wishes do you wish?

Here are my 3 wishes.
1) Every employee (mgmt & non mgmt) now has the skill to listen and understand each others point of view --> Crystal Clear Communication Skills for all
2) Everyone focused on the same goal - Make sure that UPS is the best company to work for --> Like Spock said " the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few"
3) All employees leave their "baggage" home every day --> Focus on Solutions -
As Tie has said...leave the egos at home!

LKLND3380

My personal favorite is when we tell the dispatch sup Its not going to fit, and We are told to make it. Oh ok well lets go get a car extender so we can make it fit!!! these are package cars not feeders!!!

Really... They must have the same training for all these guys including key phrases to say...

I just leave the stuff out, tell the on road supe and they have to shuttle it... The car is only so big and holds so much...

LKLND3380

Here are my 3 wishes.
1) Every employee (mgmt & non mgmt) now has the skill to listen and understand each others point of view --> Crystal Clear Communication Skills for all
2) Everyone focused on the same goal - Make sure that UPS is the best company to work for --> Like Spock said " the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few"

hourlies don't get paid to focus on solutions... We do our job and leave... Mangement gets paid to focus on solutions...

Now IF I were making more per hour and moving less packages per hour, I might have time to "focus" on other things such as "solutions." Management "might" say you get paid what the contract says...

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Sections 5. Wages

(c) The wage rates and increases provided in (a) and (b) shall be a minimum.

A MINIMUM... MIN I MUM... They can pay me $35.00 an hour, bring my PPH down to 170 and PROPERLY dispatch my cars so I can "focus on solutions" for management.

UPS Lifer

hourlies don't get paid to focus on solutions... We do our job and leave... Mangement gets paid to focus on solutions...

You help make my point! That is exactly why these are wishes.

Follow #3 first....then come to work with a positive attitude. You are obviously steaming about something that already is done....let it go. Life is too short! Clear your mind and read the "wishes" again.

Now - wouldn't everything be rosey if we ALL could follow them.

LKLND3380

PAS is a good system, all the PAS sites in our district have gotten misloads down to a nominal level through training and discipline if neccessary. Westsides's preload is getting all the attention because they have proven unable or unwilling to fix their problems. I don't care what Westside says, in my center we have a preloader who never has any missorts and several that have 3 or less per month. He either has not been trained properly or is not doing what he has been trained to do.

We average a minumum of 9 misloads per day in our building... On a bad day we have 20+ misloads for the building. A guy on one of the other belts recieved a warning letter, suspension letter and termination letter. ALL for misloads. He's a great guy, shows up on time, always says hello and if you need change or borrow money for the snack machine - he will help you out. It will be interesting to see what happens because the guy is the co-chair of the safety comm. and helped bring down injuries as well as our center passing the Ketter Audit with a perfect score.

tieguy

Banned
westsideworma-
Don't cast your pearls before swine.
They know the system isn't working. If they fix it so that everything runs "perfect" then they will be out of a job.
Use your energy for something constructive that benefits you.

Yea follow tricks lead and bitch and moan instead.

W

westsideworma

properly trained? lol I'm one of the few that are left that did have the proper training. I have been recognized several times for my safe methods and my loading ability/accuracy so don't spout off about things you know ABSOLUTELY nothing about. They don't train people anymore, they say here it is, match up the numbers and have at it. Even if your place doesn't have that many misloads, you by the looks of this board are in the minority, not me. I have about 4 or less a month (that they actually deem my fault), so don't get on me about training bud. I'm sorry but I have an 1000-1100 piece pull and they give me 4 (sometimes a little more, unless I'm helping other areas) hrs to do it, that requires in on average almost 250pph so no I don't check and peel every label, I'd never wrap if I did. Add to the fact that the majority of the work comes at the end of the day for everyone and you have a recipe for disaster with out of sync pals especially (they double team the SPA person...mistake are plentiful) and depending on the preloader to catch it all it just stupid. Keep in mind I had 5 misloads for the whole year before PAS and its not PAS' fault? Thats interesting.

Speaking of, how does my training have anything to do with system flips and out of sync pals? That isn't MY job. any misloads I DO have are the result of those, not the package being in the wrong car, save maybe once in a great while.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

westsideworma

They've been trained plenty. That leaves the "is not doing what he has been trained to do" as the issue to be addressed - and they're being paid top rate to not do what they've been trained to do.

After those creme puffs sit on their butts and eat their savings for nine months or so they'll happily hire into the New Company that'll handle air for UPS for a lot less than they're making now.

There is nothing more satisfying than watching a dirty Teamster (or IAM or IPA or UAW or AMFA or UFCW or any other unionist) with his hat in hand begging work at Home Depot - and being turned away because THEY don't want him either.

Seriously, no matter how hectic things get, that image will always cheer you right up. It's good for a chuckle and smile *anytime*.

Get 'er done.

who the hell are you buddy? What does being a teamster have to do with our work ethic, we have no choice we HAVE to join in many areas. I could care less about being a teamster or a member of another union, I'm glad they represent us but at the same time I wouldn't care if they didn't either.

Top rate?!? Do you even work at UPS? Part Timers are NOT paid top rate thats why they can't find anyone to do the job. They make more money elsewhere or stay and just don't care. And why should they care after they're bashed by their supervisor relentlessly everyday for something they weren't properly trained to do and that said supervisor can do no better. I happen to care about my job and how I do it thanks.

actually you sound like someone in management, more likely IE. Another degree monger upset because many a union member makes more money than he does. Also I'll rid you of the "at least I have one response", I already have one and I'm using UPS to get a second.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

westsideworma

Here are my 3 wishes.

See I agree with you on # 3 and I do come in hoping every day will be better even with the proven track record that it rarely happens. However others have a hard time when it just keeps getting progressively worse. So much so that we cant really keep ANYONE we hire these days. The solutions you speak of, no one will take them from an hourly, least thats how it seems at our hub. They're convinced nothing is wrong and if there is, its us.

Griff

Get 'er done.

Spew that anti-union venom, it's pretty clear you're jealous.

over9five

Staff member
"Spew that anti-union venom, it's pretty clear you're jealous."

Yup, another McDonalds worker trolling BrownCafe!

Speaking of, how does my training have anything to do with system flips and out of sync pals? That isn't MY job. any misloads I DO have are the result of those, not the package being in the wrong car, save maybe once in a great while.

We hold spa people accountable for out of syncs and we have our flips down to a 2-3 per week. If you don't have misloads, I don't see where your problem is.

UPS Lifer

See I agree with you on # 3 and I do come in hoping every day will be better even with the proven track record that it rarely happens. However others have a hard time when it just keeps getting progressively worse. So much so that we cant really keep ANYONE we hire these days. The solutions you speak of, no one will take them from an hourly, least thats how it seems at our hub. They're convinced nothing is wrong and if there is, its us.

Westside,
Go up the chain of command until someone listens. You are going to have to bypass the PT supvs and probably the FT sup. Go to the Manager and better yet the Div Mgr. Ask him to come in along with the Employee Relations Mgr and conduct a "Town Hall" Mtg. You will have a different atmosphere that will help your team voice concerns.

W

westsideworma

We hold spa people accountable for out of syncs and we have our flips down to a 2-3 per week. If you don't have misloads, I don't see where your problem is.

WE are held accountable here, not them. My problem is I barely had ANY in a year before this, now I have them, thats a problem to me. Other decent people that show up to work and do their job are having problems, much worse than I and are being threatened and harassed about it. I have a problem with that. Excuse me for not only thinking of myself. I'm glad your flips or down to 2-3 per week, we have that per day sometimes. Either way that matters little to me, what matters to me is we're having them, its not being fixed and we're being blamed for it. We don't have the power to do so. If we did we would because we're damn sick and tired of hearing them whine about misloads. Where is your hub anyways I think I need to see this to believe it, because any other UPS I've been to/heard of has the same or similar problems.

That brings me to another issue (probably another thread) with the company in general. Why are discipline policies different? Why are in some areas the preloaders held accountable for pretty much any error possible during the shift, some areas the spa people held accountable and in others preloaders or SPA people are responsible for next to nothing? Aspen was it you that said you guys aren't responsible for out of sync pals? that you actually get spoken to if you do find one/check for them? How can you be fair if its different everywhere?

W

westsideworma

Now IF I were making more per hour and moving less packages per hour, I might have time to "focus" on other things such as "solutions." Management "might" say you get paid what the contract says...

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Sections 5. Wages

(c) The wage rates and increases provided in (a) and (b) shall be a minimum.

A MINIMUM... MIN I MUM... They can pay me $35.00 an hour, bring my PPH down to 170 and PROPERLY dispatch my cars so I can "focus on solutions" for management.

its funny though, they pay us the minimum and want the max...funny how that adds up. :cool:

WE are held accountable here, not them. My problem is I barely had ANY in a year before this, now I have them, thats a problem to me. Other decent people that show up to work and do their job are having problems, much worse than I and are being threatened and harassed about it. I have a problem with that. Excuse me for not only thinking of myself. I'm glad your flips or down to 2-3 per week, we have that per day sometimes. Either way that matters little to me, what matters to me is we're having them, its not being fixed and we're being blamed for it. We don't have the power to do so. If we did we would because we're damn sick and tired of hearing them whine about misloads. Where is your hub anyways I think I need to see this to believe it, because any other UPS I've been to/heard of has the same or similar problems.

That brings me to another issue (probably another thread) with the company in general. Why are discipline policies different? Why are in some areas the preloaders held accountable for pretty much any error possible during the shift, some areas the spa people held accountable and in others preloaders or SPA people are responsible for next to nothing? Aspen was it you that said you guys aren't responsible for out of sync pals? that you actually get spoken to if you do find one/check for them? How can you be fair if its different everywhere?

How long have you been on PAS? It took us over a year to iron out the things that you are complaining about. The main point I want to make is this. Everyone wants to blame PAS for their problems and say that the system is flawed. I know from experience that implementiing PAS is a difficult and painful process and it takes a while to get it working the way it was designed, but after that it is not a PAS issue, it is an issue of how it is managed. If it ain't working, it ain't being managed properly. Case in point. We have a center in our district that struggled for 2 years and became the worst PAS site in the district. They got a new manager with some PAS background and within 2 weeks they were in the top 2 centers in the district in the corporate rankings. Pas works; your team just hasn't figured out how to make it go yet.