It's been over 30 working days... I'm in right?

oldpaddy

Hi all, great site!

So, I started my 30 days back in early May, am I finally in?
I made a comment to my sup and he said that the center manager hadn't signed off on me yet. From what I've been told at this point it doesn't matter what the center manager decides. That once you go over 30 working days you're in.
So, am I in?

DS

Fenderbender
The policies seem to vary from place to place.When I started they simply wanted you to run scratch at least once.I would suspect that the center manager does indeed have the final say,so be nice to him,and welcome to hell.

Just Lurking

Was you hired for seasonal vacation coverage?

Are you street hire or parttimer?

If you are not a seasonal hire, count the actual days on car delivering not time in school.

Seasonal vacation hires do not count any days between May 1 and Labor Day for seniority. Streets hires in reality do not have many rights because they do not have seniority.

oldpaddy

Just Lurking said:
Was you hired for seasonal vacation coverage?

Are you street hire or parttimer?

If you are not a seasonal hire, count the actual days on car delivering not time in school.

Seasonal vacation hires do not count any days between May 1 and Labor Day for seniority. Streets hires in reality do not have many rights because they do not have seniority.

I was a pre-loader, and I started driving on the road before our free period started (June 1).

disneyworld

oldpaddy said:
Hi all, great site!

So, I started my 30 days back in early May, am I finally in?
I made a comment to my sup and he said that the center manager hadn't signed off on me yet. From what I've been told at this point it doesn't matter what the center manager decides. That once you go over 30 working days you're in.
So, am I in?
Why do you want to do this? There is a better way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do yourself a favor and get out NOW. You'll thank me later.

trickpony1

I agree with Over9five and Disneyworld.
Too many people in their mid 20's get dazzled by the glitter, gloss, glamour and dollar signs of pkg cars.
The adrenalin rush wears off after about 15-20 years when the body starts hurting and one wonders how they are gonna make it to retirement but they can't quit because they will "lose" their retirement and there is no where they can go. They, essentially, are trapped. Good feeling? No.
I wouldn't recommmend pkg cars to anyone.

To the "wine and roses" crowd, yes, I am spewing venom but if I can save one person then I have done some good.

DS

Fenderbender
Its a good job if your in perfect health every day .But sometimes you may have health problems and ups does not functiion effectivley with employees that do not function.Sometimes they will fire you after years of service simply because the new center manager is on his way up the ladder and if he thinks it will save ups money,he will fire you and hopefully get promoted out of there.But you WILL get your job back maybe 2 years later when the teamsters finally listen to you.Maybe with back pay maybe without...trickponys right about that,its hard work and its not for everyone.I hate the way the management process works at ups,it encourages promotion through increase in production,and we are not in an underwear factory.I really believe if they got rid of all the sups,and started us drivers at 7:30 am we could dispatch ourselves,and work with preload,and save the company millions.

F

Fredly000 000

Has your pay rate changed on the paycheck?
HR/Payroll will do it automatically...

tieguy

Banned
trickpony1 said:
I agree with Over9five and Disneyworld.
Too many people in their mid 20's get dazzled by the glitter, gloss, glamour and dollar signs of pkg cars.
The adrenalin rush wears off after about 15-20 years when the body starts hurting and one wonders how they are gonna make it to retirement but they can't quit because they will "lose" their retirement and there is no where they can go. They, essentially, are trapped. Good feeling? No.
I wouldn't recommmend pkg cars to anyone.

To the "wine and roses" crowd, yes, I am spewing venom but if I can save one person then I have done some good.

Thats fair. just tell me what worthwhile job he could get where he wouldn't feel he was trapped after 15 to 20 years. I agree UPS is a hard job but I've always been led to believe that any job that is worthwhile is going to be demanding?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It depends on what you mean by worthwhile, I suppose. Most jobs that pay well are fairly demanding, I think, at least here in the states. But I suspect that's more as a result of our economic model than because it's a universal truth. I think most of us start out believing and accepting that we have to work hard in order to have a good life, and it's not til we get a little older that we start to wonder about that belief. I'm not ready to give up on UPS yet though, they'll get a few more years of hard work out of me :wink:.

disneyworld

tieguy said:
Thats fair. just tell me what worthwhile job he could get where he wouldn't feel he was trapped after 15 to 20 years. I agree UPS is a hard job but I've always been led to believe that any job that is worthwhile is going to be demanding?
Ther's a big difference between demanding physically and mentally. In hindsight,I should've taken the mentally challenging job.

paganpink

Some of the folks on here post that you can be seemingly fired just because a supervisor snaps his fingers. Aside from theft or something, that just doesn't happen. Warning letters, suspensions etc. all have to come before you lose your job. I have even seen people come back after being fired for workplace violence when it was reduced to a suspension, and I don't agree with the Teamsters protecting jerks like that. Don't listen to the bitter folks on this board. Once you have your own area you will make tons of good friends and even though the work is hard, it's not half as physical as the Hub jobs most of us used to do, and many drivers love what they do. The whiners on here are probably the ones who call for help every day just because they can't handle their own routes and want the people who have hustled to finish their own areas to come and bail them out. No one minds helping other drivers at times, but when it's the same losers every day it really gets old especially if you have been busting your hump to go home early in order to see one of your kids games or something!

M

More info please

So what is the deal with "seasonal part time" drivers? We work till Labor Day and then have to put in our 30 days? They didn't expain this in training or I missed it.

mittam

paganpink said:
Some of the folks on here post that you can be seemingly fired just because a supervisor snaps his fingers. Aside from theft or something, that just doesn't happen. Warning letters, suspensions etc. all have to come before you lose your job. I have even seen people come back after being fired for workplace violence when it was reduced to a suspension, and I don't agree with the Teamsters protecting jerks like that. Don't listen to the bitter folks on this board. Once you have your own area you will make tons of good friends and even though the work is hard, it's not half as physical as the Hub jobs most of us used to do, and many drivers love what they do. The whiners on here are probably the ones who call for help every day just because they can't handle their own routes and want the people who have hustled to finish their own areas to come and bail them out. No one minds helping other drivers at times, but when it's the same losers every day it really gets old especially if you have been busting your hump to go home early in order to see one of your kids games or something!
I agree with what you say what area are you form sounds like you need to attend an APWA meeting and get some good answers parcelworkers .com will help get you some answers they have a "contact us" section you can ask questions and get the answers you need