its just a job........

705red

Browncafe Steward
From Merriam-Webster:

career
1 a: speed in a course <ran at full career> b: course , passage
2: encounter , charge
3: a field for or pursuit of consecutive progressive achievement especially in public, professional, or business life <Washington's career as a soldier>
4: a profession for which one trains and which is undertaken as a permanent calling <a career in medicine> <a career diplomat>

UPS Driver fits definition #4 but not #3.
I've done some driving and been there 19yrs. To me it's a job but go ahead and call it a career if it makes you feel good.
Absolutely at least i fit number 3, i started ptime, and worked my way up from the ptime ranks to get to this position. Eventually i will move on from package into feeder (if i ever get the chance again).

Flipping burgers at mcdonalds is a job
Shagging shopping carts at walmart is a job
working your way up through ups for 30 years is a career.

satellitedriver

So Mr.Satellitedriver, Why was i &empty&empty&empty&empty&empty&empty in a 10 year contract, i spent 10 long years at an air hub for a contract company , then united pot smoker(UPS) decided to make it UPS.. I spent 10 long years with contract and almost 4 years with ups.. What Career have they given me ?????????? Nothing!!!!!!!!!!!! But a part time job , UPS will be exposed you can count on that!!!!!!!​
UPS exposed!!!!!
Let's all run for the fire exit.
You asked me, why?
I have no idea why you could not develop your job into a career.
Attitude, maybe?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
when something happens, and a driver is fired for dishonesty, something happens on the inside. shame, embarrassment, self hatred, and on and on. and there is also a furious anger, one of betrayal by those he was "trying to help out", that have now turned on him, and him alone.

d

The really frustrating part is when the "dishonesty" is nothing more than a well-meaning employee who cuts corners trying to meet the unrealistic expectations placed upon him by his management.

I have no sympathy for thieves, no do I have sympathy for one who would falsify records out of laziness or a desire to steal bonus.

I have seen situations, though, where management was well aware of a driver who was cutting corners, but they chose to do nothing about it because it solved problems and made them look better "on paper". Once Loss Prevention got in on the action, however, these same management people would throw the driver under the bus and self-righteously condemn the "dishonesty" that they conveniently overlooked when it was to their benefit.

The really frustrating part is when the "dishonesty" is nothing more than a well-meaning employee who cuts corners trying to meet the unrealistic expectations placed upon him by his management.

I have no sympathy for thieves, no do I have sympathy for one who would falsify records out of laziness or a desire to steal bonus.

I have seen situations, though, where management was well aware of a driver who was cutting corners, but they chose to do nothing about it because it solved problems and made them look better "on paper". Once Loss Prevention got in on the action, however, these same management people would throw the driver under the bus and self-righteously condemn the "dishonesty" that they conveniently overlooked when it was to their benefit.
Sober, you know that the "overlooked" dishonesty goes much deeper. In many cases it is more "work as directed" dishonesty until LP gets involved.
Here's an example of what I mean. A few days ago, I missed three business stops, one package each. I simply ran out of time due to the number of stops/packages, the logistics of the load, late leaving building for late air and having to shuttle packages out to two other drivers. Management was pissed that I didn't record these stops before 1700 to have 3 paid send agains instead of missed. My contention is that if I had been able to do that they wouldn't have been missed at all, but delivered. What they were insinuating was that when I saw I couldn't get them done before 1700 I should have stopped and recorded them(been there , heard that before). IF I had they would have been recorded away from the actual stop and that is dishonest. Chances are they would never had said a word to me if I had done that, yet they could very well fire me. What they do not see or know unless I tell them is that I bypassed these three stops to get another one that had 8 packages. For me it was a matter of missing three instead of eight.
The point is, when management wants to play number games with my career, it becomes a job to me.

tieguy

Banned
Son im well off, i dont need no hand outs, it just pisses me off i worked 10 years for a contract , and it dont count for nothing, It's all ok , it will be exposed in a Vid on You Tube, I have all my back paychecks kept(from contract and ups) , and serval other items to expose UPS.....​

If I am your son then you have to be about seventy years old and should probably be worrying about a funeral plan rather then a career:happy-very:

Dying to see the video. what will you be exposing?

chev

Nightcrawler
If I am your son then you have to be about seventy years old and should probably be worrying about a funeral plan rather then a career:happy-very:

Dying to see the video. what will you be exposing?

Hopefully not his own rear or any other "little bits".

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sober, you know that the "overlooked" dishonesty goes much deeper. In many cases it is more "work as directed" dishonesty until LP gets involved.
Here's an example of what I mean. A few days ago, I missed three business stops, one package each. I simply ran out of time due to the number of stops/packages, the logistics of the load, late leaving building for late air and having to shuttle packages out to two other drivers. Management was pissed that I didn't record these stops before 1700 to have 3 paid send agains instead of missed. My contention is that if I had been able to do that they wouldn't have been missed at all, but delivered. What they were insinuating was that when I saw I couldn't get them done before 1700 I should have stopped and recorded them(been there , heard that before). IF I had they would have been recorded away from the actual stop and that is dishonest. Chances are they would never had said a word to me if I had done that, yet they could very well fire me. What they do not see or know unless I tell them is that I bypassed these three stops to get another one that had 8 packages. For me it was a matter of missing three instead of eight.
The point is, when management wants to play number games with my career, it becomes a job to me.
Trpl, I agree. I would never sheet them prior to getting to the stop. If they don't want them missed then they need to adjust the dispatch so the work can be completed in a timely manner. If the stops are missed then they are missed!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Let's start a poll: Is it a job or a career? I vote it's just a job. But, I sure do enjoy those awesome benefits. And all I have to do is work a few hours every evening to get them.
come back in 20 yrs of 50/60 hr weeks and then you let us know what it was a job or a career!!

ih8tbrn

Banned
come back in 20 yrs of 50/60 hr weeks and then you let us know what it was a job or a career!!

No thanks, I'm just using this job to clear up some stupid debt trouble I got into. I figured as long as I was going to work a second job I may as well have free insurance too, it saves me $200 a month not having to pay for it at my full time job. Oh....sorry, my full time "career"

ih8tbrn

Banned
I agree with you, but I'm too old to wait for a full time driving position. Besides, I've been at my full time job for over 12 years and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
management has never told you to go out and deliver a stop late but yet fudge the delivery time. but yet they knowingly dispatch drivers pretty much every day with too many stops for the driver to actually make service on. and while being trained on a new route, i have seen sups actually do what jim was fired over

seen it, been there, earned the stripes.

but many drivers let the chips fall where ever they fall. if they got delivered late, too bad, so sad. and sometimes management got help to the drivers that needed it.

i had it pretty easy, my last air stop was always my largest. 50-75 packages a day. so they never had me push it unless they wanted a ton of air late.

but others, too many others, have played a game with time. management looks the other way, usually not wanting to rock their boat. but when a customer calls in a complaint, they have to have someone to offer up.

it is interesting to have someone that encourages honesty in their operation, but yet look the other way when they know the above is going on, in the name of making the numbers and service. and it is interesting to see that same team fire someone else for dishonesty in this situation.

let me offer one more situation

many years ago, a rookie driver was on a resi route. lots of hills etc, and in an old bread truck 400.

during his first christmas, it snowed quite a bit, and he attempted to put on those heavy long one piece chains. as he had no clue on the proper way to install them, it took him an hour to get them on, only to loose them within a half mile. after several more attempts, he did without and missed a lot of stops.

that night, the delivery sup instructed the driver to stop by one of the many service stations (for you younger drivers, gas stations that did other things besides sell gas) and have them install it. but to make sure on the receipt that it said chain repair instead of install. other wise, ups would not pay for the install, but would for a repair.

so the driver did as instructed. when he got in the next day, he turned in the receipt, and the sup asked to see the "repaired chain". they then proceeded to terminate said driver for dishonesty. had it not been for two feeder drivers that overheard the sup telling the driver how to do it, the driver would have been fired.

moral of the story is this, dont fudge anything out on road. if it sounds lie something is not right, then you can about bet it is wrong. take the high road, if you run out of time, then you run out of time. dont "create" more time.

d

LiL"Comet"

BBAG sweetheart you just can't take it can you if someone disagrees with you huh??

You are an idiot!!!!!!! :surprised: No I'm not call BBAG this, this is what he called me. This is what's posted on my visitors messages, wow how old are you to stoop to juvenile behavior because I gave you a bad rep, for posting that message on skid marks thread. Which you made a comment on "Get a Helmet". I simply said even though sometimes we think things some are better left unsaid depending on the situation.

If you post your own opinion be able to take what others opinion is here too BBAG don't be childish:childish:. I will not let my 5, 6, or 8 yr old call someone an idiot. It does not in any way bother me that you called me an idiot just wanted to let everyone else know about you, but I think most do.

ON the subject now!!!

This is defiantly a career for myself, it took nearly 8 yrs to go friend/t for myself. Its a little harder to get a friend/t when your considered off the road and you already work for UPS. I care about the people who work around me and their future here at UPS. If I can help someone progress or better themselves it's my duty to aid the their process. We learn from each other my mentoring one another and our different opinions. I believe what ever you personally feel about your job or your career you get out what you put into it.
It's a simple as the attitude you put towards your day, if you go into your day in a bad mood or negative those seem to be the days all things happen.

"If your down on it You ain't up with it" Days that I have a good attitude it goes much smoother.

If you think you are owed something in life better get over it, life is what "you" make out of it there's no free passes.

If have a negative outlook on things you will get more negative results than positive ones:peaceful::happy2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
No thanks, I'm just using this job to clear up some stupid debt trouble I got into. I figured as long as I was going to work a second job I may as well have free insurance too, it saves me $200 a month not having to pay for it at my full time job. Oh....sorry, my full time "career"

i agree, you are using this for a specific goal. to you its just a job, something you have no vested interest in, and will dump at the first sign you no longer need it
I agree with you, but I'm too old to wait for a full time driving position. Besides, I've been at my full time job for over 12 years and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

sounds like you really do understand the difference. you just dont know it:wink2:

d

MAGUI90

LiL Azn
I'm really late in saying this but for me I think working at UPS is just a job (FOR ME). Simply because I don't plan on making it a career, I do it for the experience and to help out my roomates with rent. I have a different career in mind. =)