its just a job........

ups_vette

What they do not see or know unless I tell them is that I bypassed these three stops to get another one that had 8 packages. For me it was a matter of missing three instead of eight.
The point is, when management wants to play number games with my career, it becomes a job to me.

Your business sence is nothing short of amazing. You're saying it;s better for UPS to have 3 missed business stops instead of 1 missed business stop. It's good that you don't own a business, because you wouldn't stay in business long pissing off 3 customers for the sake of 1 customer. Missing 3 out of 4 business, instead of missing 1 out of 4 is not good business or decision making.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your business sence is nothing short of amazing. You're saying it;s better for UPS to have 3 missed business stops instead of 1 missed business stop. It's good that you don't own a business, because you wouldn't stay in business long pissing off 3 customers for the sake of 1 customer. Missing 3 out of 4 business, instead of missing 1 out of 4 is not good business or decision making.

This is kind of a bold/harsh statement to make without knowing all of the facts of the situation. I believe they call someone like you an "arm chair quarterback". BTW, it is spelled "sense".

over9five

Staff member

Trplnkl did the right thing. The center team sees "missed packages" on their daily report. He missed 3 instead of 8.

No-one care about p/o'd customers.....

over9five

Staff member
so the driver did as instructed. when he got in the next day, he turned in the receipt, and the sup asked to see the "repaired chain". they then proceeded to terminate said driver for dishonesty. had it not been for two feeder drivers that overheard the sup telling the driver how to do it, the driver would have been fired.

So they fired the sup instead, right?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
no

they promoted him to center manager. shortly after he died.

a lot of people never understood why i did not go to his funeral.

i figured better not go instead of spitting into the casket.

that was the first of many painful lessons i got taught by this guy.

d

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Then he was probably more effective than most of the living center manager's.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Trplnkl did the right thing. The center team sees "missed packages" on their daily report. He missed 3 instead of 8.

No-one care about p/o'd customers.....
It's a good thing you jumped on that one, I was going to but decided to finish reading the rest of the posts first. Trpl was absolutely right in having 3 missed instead of 8.
Vette, misses are counted by pkg not stop.

tieguy

Banned
ON the subject now!!!

This is defiantly a career for myself, it took nearly 8 yrs to go friend/t for myself. Its a little harder to get a friend/t when your considered off the road and you already work for UPS. I care about the people who work around me and their future here at UPS. If I can help someone progress or better themselves it's my duty to aid the their process. We learn from each other my mentoring one another and our different opinions. I believe what ever you personally feel about your job or your career you get out what you put into it.

here here and a great point that I don't see mentioned by management posters too often.

One of the greatest joys of my job over the years has been the gift of being able to mentor young adults into responsible viable adults.
I still agonize over the ones I lost. One was a top basketball prospect coming out of my state. If I could have found a way too reach him and get him straightened out for about six months I think he could have gotten a scholarship and been on his way through college and a hopefully a successful career. Unfortunately I could not reach him because the pull of his friends and the streets was stronger. Though I have lost touch with him over the years I still wonder how he made out and agonize over what I could have done different to reach him.

Its good to see you bring up the mentoring aspect. Its one that I think has overall brought me and many of my co-management workers the greatest job satisfaction. Chasing a number can only carry you so far.

Your business sence is nothing short of amazing.
Over9five:
Trplnkl did the right thing. The center team sees "missed packages" on their daily report.

dilligaf:

Trpl was absolutely right in having 3 missed instead of 8.
Vette, misses are counted by pkg not stop.

Vette

I do personally worry more about the three pissed customers more than I do it being just one, but I know full well what management would rather have. I don't even like pissing off the one, but a guy can only do what a guy can do. Funny you should even mention "business sence", considering the things UPS instructs us do from time to time.

skid mark

In Rememberance of Jimi
Let's start a poll: Is it a job or a career? I vote it's just a job. But, I sure do enjoy those awesome benefits. And all I have to do is work a few hours every evening to get them.

It is a career for most UPS employees. When someone spends 23 years at the same place, it is a way of life, it is his past, present, and future. For instance with Jim, he was 51 and he could not have started over and supply for his retirement. He only had 17 fulltime years, he would have lost his pension, insurance, and everything. Our son had heart surgery last year and would have been without health insurance. Since Jim was still technically still employeed by ups when he died, our son gets to keep the insurance until he is 19 if he is in school. So you see getting fired from UPS, meant more to Jim than just a job. It supplied for his family and Retirement. Yes, he could have found just another job, but not one that would supply him with what he had accumulated at UPS.

Channahon

Then he was probably more effective than most of the living center manager's.

no

a lot of people never understood why i did not go to his funeral.

i figured better not go instead of spitting into the casket.

that was the first of many painful lessons i got taught by this guy.

d

Call me old fashioned, but when someone passes away, regardless of your feelings for them, they were still a person, who had a family.

To respect the family, I have been to UPSer's wakes, over the years, in some cases I was close to the person, in other cases, I was an acquaintence of the deceased.

Once the family heard I was from UPS, it somehow gave them the strength to talk about their loved one, in a proud way, knowing the sacrifices most UPSer's make over their careers.

And knowing that someway I was able to bring support and comfort to the family, worked for all of us.

JMO

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I still don't understand why UPS would promote someone after they are already dead.:sick:
really? would that explain why we have such interesting mandates comming down the poopline?

what i said was he was promoted to center manager. see that period? then i followed it with "shortly after he died." i should have put in a comma after he, died. that might have not confused so many.

i hope that clears it up.

d

Catatonic

Nine Lives
really? would that explain why we have such interesting mandates comming down the poopline?

what i said was he was promoted to center manager. see that period? then i followed it with "shortly after he died." i should have put in a comma after he, died. that might have not confused so many.

d

I think they understood Danny. :wink2:
They were just having fun.:funny:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i understand, and even after the first time, i didnt get it? but after i read it quickly like i do most posts, it did dawn on me.

kinda slow on the uptake sometimes.

lotsa things on my mind.

d

d
Well now, since you brought it up , the comma should have been placed between the words after and he

He was promoted to center manager. Shortly after, he died.

Although after I chuckled a little (not because he died) I understood what you meant

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i chuckled as well. not because he died either. although i really had a hard time dealing with the feelings i did have.

as for the light, thanks!

just back in the cooking mode again. and the surgery on the knee again did cloud things a bit. will get off the pain meads tomorrow when i pull the pain pump out of the knee.

pretty cool actually if you have never seen one done. almost 2 feet of really thin hose inside your knee that you just keep pulling and pulling.........

anyway, back to cooking. two more turkeys, four pot roasts, a pot of red cabbage like mom used to make, not to mention green bean casserole and fruit salad. feeding a planed 100+ tomorrow night at the church. it seems we have adopted the girls at the womens shelter.

shame at this time of the year to see the suffering so many are going through. maybe i can spread some christmas cheer.........

d

pharkwar

discombobulogruntled
geeze.. y'know, if you're in it for the long haul... or even for the medium haul, get in on despp. now's a really good time to buy, btw.