It's Not In MY Budget

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
To do any of the following:

1. Ever use my cell phone to communicate with either a customer, management, and/or Dispatch. Only FedEx devices shall be used.

2. Accept a package during a "break". This is a violation of policy and working during 13/14 and/or 28/29 time. The customer shall be told "I am on break and cannot even talk with you".

3. Read any training, promotional, and/or informational materials while off the clock. This includes "From The Chairman", any take-home booklets etc.

4. To call a recording device for a modified start time during adverse weather and/or during Peak season. If you need to call such a device, you are actually "on-call" or "standby" and need to be paid for your time.

5. Any company meetings or functions must always be on the clock.

6. Minimum hours shall never be waived and the employee shall ask management for direction as to which task they should perform.

7. In the event a recording device is used to modify start times the employee shall report to work at their regularly scheduled time and request that duties be assigned.

ProfitServiceProfit

More people need to work by these rules. I can't believe how many people use their personal phones to call customers. The one time I've done it (when I was a young run and gun swing driver) the customer called me weeks later to schedule a pup and got pissed when I told them it wasn't my job and to call the 1 800 number. Never again.

vantexan

More people need to work by these rules. I can't believe how many people use their personal phones to call customers. The one time I've done it (when I was a young run and gun swing driver) the customer called me weeks later to schedule a pup and got pissed when I told them it wasn't my job and to call the 1 800 number. Never again.

Used to park my FedEx van in front of my RV when I was domiciled in New Mexico. Had a customer beat on my door at 0700 saying she needed to send a pkg. A few years later in Texas called a customer to get directions to his home. A week later he called me at 0610(!) to check if I was bringing him his meds that day.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
That's what I'll be doing when I retire - living in an RV (a small used one)... down by the river ...... in Guatemala .......next to vantexan

Doc Sorting Dude

I know exactly about the mistake of giving customers your personal cell phone number. I had this reg pup who would not call the 800 number for pup, instead he would call me and leave a msg to swing by. Thank God that company moved. Give no one your cell number...ever!

whenIgetthere

I was covering a PUP route last month, and this guy at a stop said he's sick of dealing with the 800 #, and asked me for my number. I told him I don't give my number to any customers, and as a swing I would be on the route maybe once a month or so! What a people!

hypo hanna

I was covering a PUP route last month, and this guy at a stop said he's sick of dealing with the 800 #, and asked me for my number. I told him I don't give my number to any customers, and as a swing I would be on the route maybe once a month or so! What a people!

He has trouble communicating with Salvadorians huh, go figure.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did he want your personal cell phone number or the number to your local station? I agree with your refusal to give your number. If a customer asks me I always give them our center phone number.

MAKAVELI

Did he want your personal cell phone number or the number to your local station? I agree with your refusal to give your number. If a customer asks me I always give them our center phone number.
This is ironic, because we have been told not to give out the station # , just 1-800-go-FedEx. Yet we are expected to call customers on our personal cell phones.

hypo hanna

We are told the same. I give the local number anyway---let them defend their poor dispatch decisions.

Dont know how it works at UPS but doing that at FedEx is cutting your nose of to spite your face. Most of those offensive decisions come from the managers not the dispatchers. Having customers call dispatch directly only ties up their phone lines preventing drivers from getting their calls answered. Dispatchers are treated like **** just like the drivers. Why don't you cut out the middleman and give out your ops managers cell number. Or better yet, give out Fred S, Dave bronkzac, Michael Ducker or Matthew thornton's email addresses.

Ricochet1a

FedEx made the decision to 'centralize' all customer service options with the 1-800 number. This ensures both maximum utilization of personnel on the phone line (finish with one call, another call comes in from the waiting callers- non-stop telecommunication and reading from a script) AND since the whole operation is contracted out - minimal cost for FedEx to provide a 'human' for a paying customer to speak with (for which the customer doesn't know that the person they are speaking with is absolutely clueless about REAL FedEx operating practice).

It also solves the VERY REAL issue of separate operating companies. The 1-800 number can 'handle' inquiries for ALL operating companies - Express station CSAs (and Express dispatchers) can only handle Express interactions. Given the decision by FedEx to establish separately operating companies (with very minimal interaction between them), the 1-800 number was a default choice to deal with the issue and present the false image to customers of a 'unified' FedEx (which doesn't exist).

Even within the stations, when the CSAs call a customer, they direct the customer to call the 1-800 number if they have any further questions - they DELIBERATELY hand off customers to the 1-800 number, they don't have the time or staffing to 'own' customer interactions. More often than not, the 1-800 line will act as a 'filter' for the stations CSAs - before they will forward an inquiry back to the station for further work. The Express CSA are more and more getting out of doing 'customer service' and doing more and more report running for the over stretched managers (all management by report and spreadsheet in Express).

The 'practice' of FedEx is to pass the buck down the line to the least expensive method of solving the issue. This not only applies to customer calls, but to shunting customers over to Office, having customers ship with Ground (higher margin for FedEx), minimizing time stations CSAs spend with customers and even making it impossible for Couriers to have customer exchanges while still making 'performance goals'. Lower level management will deny this, but any Courier or CSA knows that if they spend more than the absolute minimum amount of time with customers, THEY will end up being questioned for their less than productive work practices. When I was doing it, if a customer had a question that would take more than 15 seconds to adequately address, the 1-800 number was put out and I departed.

This is ironic, because we have been told not to give out the station # , just 1-800-go-FedEx. Yet we are expected to call customers on our personal cell phones.

FedEx wants to have and eat its cake at the same time - nothing shocking about that.

What IS shocking, is that most Couriers ENABLE this practice of FedEx without being compensated for their cell air time. (and I know most have a flat rate monthly plan now - still, they should be compensated by Express for giving use of that device).

Of all the rather minor things suggested here to throw a proverbial monkey wrench into the Express operation, NOT using one's cell phone for company business would be the MOST EFFECTIVE in really messing things up.

Put the damn phone in your cargo area, and LEAVE it.

Not only is this Express policy, but by following it, you will make your dispatchers' (all's fair in 'war') and managers' jobs much more difficult.

Only use it when you are on unpaid break and then only for non-FedEx related business (talking to a dispatcher while you are on break is WORK - not break). I NEVER released my cell number to ANY FedEx people when I was working there. If dispatch wanted to get a message to me - there was the powerpad. If they wanted me to get a message to them - I'd type it. If they wanted to speak with me on the phone - I let them know how long it would take me to get to a phone were I could call in (I made it as inconvenient as possible for them to speak with me). My work time was MUCH LESS STRESSFUL than other Couriers who were constantly on the phone with someone.

Using your cell phone only makes your job more stressful as a Courier - NOT less. Put the damn thing away and you'll notice a big difference in the crap coming in and by consequence your stress level will lessen while you are working.

By having your cell phone with you during the day (and your dispatcher having the number) you are only giving your employer another method to continuously 'jerk your chain' throughout the day. Do yourself a favor - follow policy and keep your phone in the cargo area and leave it alone except when you are on break. If your dispatcher wants to speak with you, find a land line phone to call in. Work as directed and let your employer deal with the loss of efficiency that will inevitability result.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx made the decision to 'centralize' all customer service options with the 1-800 number. This ensures both maximum utilization of personnel on the phone line (finish with one call, another call comes in from the waiting callers- non-stop telecommunication and reading from a script) AND since the whole operation is contracted out - minimal cost for FedEx to provide a 'human' for a paying customer to speak with (for which the customer doesn't know that the person they are speaking with is absolutely clueless about REAL FedEx operating practice).

It also solves the VERY REAL issue of separate operating companies. The 1-800 number can 'handle' inquiries for ALL operating companies - Express station CSAs (and Express dispatchers) can only handle Express interactions. Given the decision by FedEx to establish separately operating companies (with very minimal interaction between them), the 1-800 number was a default choice to deal with the issue and present the false image to customers of a 'unified' FedEx (which doesn't exist).

Even within the stations, when the CSAs call a customer, they direct the customer to call the 1-800 number if they have any further questions - they DELIBERATELY hand off customers to the 1-800 number, they don't have the time or staffing to 'own' customer interactions. More often than not, the 1-800 line will act as a 'filter' for the stations CSAs - before they will forward an inquiry back to the station for further work. The Express CSA are more and more getting out of doing 'customer service' and doing more and more report running for the over stretched managers (all management by report and spreadsheet in Express).

The 'practice' of FedEx is to pass the buck down the line to the least expensive method of solving the issue. This not only applies to customer calls, but to shunting customers over to Office, having customers ship with Ground (higher margin for FedEx), minimizing time stations CSAs spend with customers and even making it impossible for Couriers to have customer exchanges while still making 'performance goals'. Lower level management will deny this, but any Courier or CSA knows that if they spend more than the absolute minimum amount of time with customers, THEY will end up being questioned for their less than productive work practices. When I was doing it, if a customer had a question that would take more than 15 seconds to adequately address, the 1-800 number was put out and I departed.

FedEx wants to have and eat its cake at the same time - nothing shocking about that.

What IS shocking, is that most Couriers ENABLE this practice of FedEx without being compensated for their cell air time. (and I know most have a flat rate monthly plan now - still, they should be compensated by Express for giving use of that device).

Of all the rather minor things suggested here to throw a proverbial monkey wrench into the Express operation, NOT using one's cell phone for company business would be the MOST EFFECTIVE in really messing things up.

Put the damn phone in your cargo area, and LEAVE it.

Not only is this Express policy, but by following it, you will make your dispatchers' (all's fair in 'war') and managers' jobs much more difficult.

Only use it when you are on unpaid break and then only for non-FedEx related business (talking to a dispatcher while you are on break is WORK - not break). I NEVER released my cell number to ANY FedEx people when I was working there. If dispatch wanted to get a message to me - there was the powerpad. If they wanted me to get a message to them - I'd type it. If they wanted to speak with me on the phone - I let them know how long it would take me to get to a phone were I could call in (I made it as inconvenient as possible for them to speak with me). My work time was MUCH LESS STRESSFUL than other Couriers who were constantly on the phone with someone.

Using your cell phone only makes your job more stressful as a Courier - NOT less. Put the damn thing away and you'll notice a big difference in the crap coming in and by consequence your stress level will lessen while you are working.

By having your cell phone with you during the day (and your dispatcher having the number) you are only giving your employer another method to continuously 'jerk your chain' throughout the day. Do yourself a favor - follow policy and keep your phone in the cargo area and leave it alone except when you are on break. If your dispatcher wants to speak with you, find a land line phone to call in. Work as directed and let your employer deal with the loss of efficiency that will inevitability result.

Sage advice. I handle things the same way on my route. Nobody has my cell phone number, and I never call anyone at FedEx on it because they can use Caller ID to get the number. I agree that this is a superb way to screw things up, because FedEx depends on most of you to "make-up the difference" by using your cell phone to cover the knowledge and operational shortcomings of the way Express "works".

There are many situations that can be resolved with a quick phone call, which is precisely why you should NOT use your cell phone. As R1a says, send a message to Dispatch and put it all on them. FedEx routinely expects you to use your phone, at no cost to them. In fact. I have had managers demand my cell number, and I always tell them that "FedEx is welcome to provide me with a phone". In fact, they sometimes DO provide phones to RTDs, many of whom refuse to give out their numbers, forcing management's hand.

Anything you do to disrupt the communication process slows the operation down and results in non-delivered and/or late packages. Plus, "overloading" a system that is already broken can pay some outstanding dividends in terms of operational chaos. By overtasking everyone, Express management has created a scenario where it takes very little to make it explode.

Stop using your phone. If they already have your number, block theirs, or just don't answer. You're under no obligation to use any personal communication device for FedEx purposes.