Jarrett To Retire After 08'

wkmac

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/5442824
Scroll down to story after the one on Harvick and Busch

This is no surprise at all but will UPS continue in the sport or will they leave? I could see either one but now that FedEx is there, it may propel them to stay but who will be the driver and will UPS stay with RYR? I'm sure the 07' race season will be heavily used for the company's 100th birthday but where will they go from there? Be interesting to watch.

Time for all of you opposed to the idea of spending money in the racing venue to speak up and tell us why it's such a horrible idea to place the UPS name out in front of the 2nd leading sports market in America and how good an idea it would be to leave and give FedEx sole ownership of this turf. Hey Monte, tell em' what an excellent idea that would be!
:lol:

Anybody watch the Bristol Snowball fight today? I've stood on top of the turns and it would make a great hill for sledding! LOL!

moreluck

golden ticket member
"tell us why it's such a horrible idea to place the UPS name out in front of the 2nd leading sports market in America"

It would be nice if the UPS car was in front (finish line) once in a while. I'm not a fan of NASCAR, but I have to admit over the past few years I have come to learn how really big NASCAR is. I think it's a much better U.S. venue than soccer.

over9five

Staff member
I'm all for UPS staying with NASCAR, but the sooner Jarrett leaves, the better.
He is definately a "has been".

trickpony1

Maybe if DJ was offered an attractive buyout other than the 64 million that his "sponsor" got from our company, he would take it and the company could get some young "run and gun" kid to replace him.
What a thought!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think they will try to get Carl Edwards. Young, clean cut, polite, and successful.

Not to mention very fast.

wkmac

toonertoo said:
I think they will try to get Carl Edwards. Young, clean cut, polite, and successful.

Not to mention very fast.

Nice thinking but not likely. NASCAR has mandated a maximum of 4 teams per owner and Rousch has 5 but Mark Martin will help out Jack at the end of this season when he walks away from the Cup level. Carl is a marketing dream as he's good behind the wheel and/or in front of the camera. Rousch is not likely to give up on a hot ticket like Carl.

Until FedEx entered the fray I thought like the Olympics, UPS would get what it wanted and walk away when Dale did but I don't think that will happen now. What I do see is that UPS may leave RYR and go with another team owner. Who? Who knows! Keep your eye on the rookie Reed Sorenson for the potential replacement for DJ and not necessarily with Gnassi either. I have my reasons for saying this and I'll just leave it at that!

DS

Fenderbender
I have nothing against nascar,but as another poster once pointed out.if ups wants to promote itself as a world wide competitor,they may want to consider football.(soccer as we know it)Nothing matches the coverage of the world cup as far as viewers go.