jurisdiction after you punch out?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your 7 years are history and no sense putting it down as a reference on a job application. The bottom line is that if you were remorseful, you might have had a chance.

How would you put this on an application?

Job History UPS 2001-2008 Reason for leaving: Stupid enough to bring a bag of weed to work and got caught. Tried to blame it on roommate.

8up

here's how i see it. you honestly only had the stuff on you due to lack of due diligence, you come to work everyday, you work hard and get along with most of the folks around you. then you explain the situation to your supervisor or manager. if, on the other hand, you have a shoddy attendance record, drag your feet while everyone else is working circles around you. you complain about everything the company does and your coworkers complain about everything you don't do. if this is the case, then you go to your supervisor or manager and they say bye-bye to you. every facility i've been in prohibitied bring contraband onto the property regardless of your excuse for violating policy. a wise old sage once told me "you have to save a little bite everyday in case of a rainy day, the day it's storming outside is your bank account showing NSF, (NON SUFFICIENT FUNDS)?" if so it's time you said bye-bye.

Dutch Dawg

If one truly desired to retain or regain their job under these circumstances, it would be prudent to not engage in 3 pages of discussion confessing to possesion while on company property.

We are never truly as anonymous as we might think in todays' world.

opsys

He Who Feeds The Beast
since drugs were involved, they probably wanted to test you as you came out of work so you wouldn't have a chance to sober up, had you been high.

paidslave

Hello i wish to get every input possible.

i'm a reg p/t hub worker. Here is my problem i had punched out of work, while exiting the securiy shack to clear the metal detector, i pulled the spare change out of my pocket .15 cents and a small piece of weed that was flat not even in a baggy, that i even didnt realize i had . i wore the same shorts the day prior too, (and no i had not been around weed the day prior). i thought it was accumulated lint in my pocket. so i pulled out everything. till the security. noticed and yanked it out my hands. and took me up to the head (security guards/Loss prevention) once they came in they said i could resign or go take a fitness for duty test. i could not stay and take the fitness for duty test i told them i was already punched out and that we will talk later when we i have better union represantation but that i have to go take care of business i have. im not a child, i have other responsiblities and times i gotta keep. but i retuned to work the next day to be tested, i really couldnt belive they got crazy over a lil lil itty bit piece of weed. but yeah they told me i had been fired and that if i didnt leave they would call LAPD. how much jursdiction does a job have over you? i understand if they would of caught it when i was coming in and got checked. 7yrs in the company wooohhhh.

UGGGHHH im jealous of UPS hubs w/o security shacks. also i do not show up high to work i actually work hard and do what i gotta do.

so what do you all think? can they keep me against my will after i had punched out what kind of human rights do we have. these guys seem like the police, its not i lke i stole something from w/in

Hi! I am Sorry that you might have a drug problem. I haven't posted to this site in months because of differences of a few opinions. There are many here that I disagree with here on a very consistant basis. First and foremost you were not on UPS time when this occurred. Second, this was not stolen from UPS property. Third, you probably have a Drug problem and need help. Don't lie about it because that will get you fired for disonhesty. . Go to rehab volentarily and have the UNION get your Job back or get a lawyer and
Sue......You should be granted a written warning for your first offense for any other offense unless it is cardinal.

Don't listen to the rest of the dopes here, no punn intended!

A

anonymous6

your done. You can only blame yourself.

after 7 yrs you should of known to ask for union rep on the spot and they would of told you that you would be fired if you didnt take a test.
talk to the BA and then a labor lawyer if the BA can't help you.

good luck

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Thats a tough one to take. I don't know how much luck you will have fighting it. If anything I hope you learn that you need to be aware of surroundings and your possessions. The "my roommates pair of shorts" line probably won't work in front of a judge. See how one little event can have a huge impact on the rest of your life? You only get one shot at glory. A chance for rehab usually only comes if you come forward and tell them you have a drug problem NOT after they have busted you red handed. I learned through the school of hard knocks having friends get busted that the best way to carry weed is in joint form.. either to be smoked in the immediate future or could be eaten if you find yourself in a bad situation dealing with police before you get to smoke it and get HIGH. Good luck

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Hi! I am Sorry that you might have a drug problem. I haven't posted to this site in months because of differences of a few opinions. There are many here that I disagree with here on a very consistant basis. First and foremost you were not on UPS time when this occurred. Second, this was not stolen from UPS property. Third, you probably have a Drug problem and need help. Don't lie about it because that will get you fired for disonhesty. . Go to rehab volentarily and have the UNION get your Job back or get a lawyer and
Sue......You should be granted a written warning for your first offense for any other offense unless it is cardinal.

Don't listen to the rest of the dopes here, no punn intended!

Sue UPS for what? He had drugs on him which is against company policy

Reno Zepher

A security Guard can only pick up the phone. If it's a supervisor O K stop. even if your off the clock. Didn't your Steward advise you at all. All you had to say is that you had a problem and wanted some help with your drug habit and you could have kept you job.
But I do agree you weren't very smart to even be doing drugs and carring them around with you. Wow!!
In the future I hope you learned a lesson and I'm really sorry you lost your job. That really sucks.