Just became part-time supervisor. Have some questions.

craftspace234

Hello I just got promoted to part time supervisor. I am in college so I do not intend on staying at UPS forever. I officially start on Monday. I just have some questions.

Before I ask them, please leave any negativity about supervisors out of here. I already became one. So if you aren't going answer my questions seriously or have any childish comments, please leave.

Anyways here it is:

1.) I am totally confused about how the benefits work and 401k. It asked me to sign up for Smart Start automatic enrollment. Does anyone know a lot about it on here? If not, where can I learn more about it? Like a phone # or something

2.) About how much money is taken out of your paycheck for benefits per week?

3.) Is there any way I can become a feeder driver or delivery driver even though I became management? If so, how long could it take? I spoke to a feeder who said he became a driver after 4 years of being a part time sup. So it sound possible to me.

4.) I know raises are based on performance, but how much is it typically per year?

Thank you for anyone that takes the time to read and answer any of my questions.

ManInBrown

You mention that you don't intend to stay at UPS forever. But then you question if you can go into package or feeders from mgmt. If the latter is a goal you took the wrong road. Not impossible to go from mgmt to driving, but its highly improbable.

blkmamba

Hello I just got promoted to part time supervisor. I am in college so I do not intend on staying at UPS forever. I officially start on Monday. I just have some questions.

Before I ask them, please leave any negativity about supervisors out of here. I already became one. So if you aren't going answer my questions seriously or have any childish comments, please leave.

Anyways here it is:

1.) I am totally confused about how the benefits work and 401k. It asked me to sign up for Smart Start automatic enrollment. Does anyone know a lot about it on here? If not, where can I learn more about it? Like a phone # or something

3.) Is there any way I can become a feeder driver or delivery driver even though I became management? If so, how long could it take? I spoke to a feeder who said he became a driver after 4 years of being a part time sup. So it sound possible to me.

4.) I know raises are based on performance, but how much is it typically per year?

Thank you for anyone that takes the time to read and answer any of my questions.
1. Not sure
2. Depends on :censored2: you selected. If you are the only one covered expect around 20 a week. If you have a family it can be up to 70 a week.
3. Yes, but is highly unlikely so don't expect it.
4. Raises vary. I've seen as little as 15 cents a year to 75 cents a year. Doesn't depend on performance as much as how much your center manager likes. My numbers were great but my center manager hated how I would defend my employees so I never received a max raise.

You will quickly hate than at you made the jump. Also, you should ask in the management forum.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Haha...promoted...that's funny. I'd ask your full time sup. Or an older pt sup in your district/building. They're a far superior source of info than we jaded union folk are.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you are an extremely obedient soldier and obey every whim and command, it's not impossible to become a feeder/package car or even 22.3. But apparently the 6:1 is really like 1000:1 if the center manager and especially DM does not like you.

craftspace234

1. Not sure
2. Depends on :censored2: you selected. If you are the only one covered expect around 20 a week. If you have a family it can be up to 70 a week.
3. Yes, but is highly unlikely so don't expect it.
4. Raises vary. I've seen as little as 15 cents a year to 75 cents a year. Doesn't depend on performance as much as how much your center manager likes. My numbers were great but my center manager hated how I would defend my employees so I never received a max raise.

You will quickly hate than at you made the jump. Also, you should ask in the management forum.

Ok thanks for the answers. Where exactly is the management forum?

craftspace234

I don't understand why everyone on here cries like babies about being a supervisor lol. If I were to stay at ups forever, then yes I could see why its bad. But if I am part time in college, I don't see the harm.

-My pay is bumped up from $9.50 to $15.00 an hour.
-I feel like it is a great managing experience and I will learn a lot and work with others.
-Looks great on a resume when applying for other jobs when I leave college.

If I stayed as an hourly, it would take me several years to pass a sup's pay. And honestly by that time I would have probably found a career by then lol.

Anyways here it is:

Ask hr
50bucks
Yes. Kiss the dm's ass

60cents
Please don't do bargaining unit work.

craftspace234

clowns (not Lol)

Yeah those "clowns" I am gonna be supervising are people like you who stay as loaders for the rest of their lives lol

See post #22.....he thinks it's a skilled "promotion". Awwwwww......how cute are newbies....lol.

Where did I say "skilled"?

We didnt make management because we know how to say no and realize that it's not a good job when they hire people who only worked at ups for a few months

Also in your future management head no where did you find it funny that they asked a guy with only a few months to become a sup or did you think you work so great that you was single out because of you being awesome

Where did I say I was working here for only a few months?
:holycowsmile: He thought he must be awesome because they asked him....

Where did I say "I must be awesome because they asked me"?

You guys need to learn how to read posts correctly and not put words in other people's mouths.

And still not a single person here has explained why being a sup is a bad idea. I already explained why I want to be one. Pay raise, better experience, looks good on resume. I am not gonna stay as a loader...

craftspace234

I know sup may not be the best position in peoples eyes here as a college student, I see no harm in it.

It could take me 10+ years to become a driver. I don't intend on staying at ups for that long.

teamsterdan

And still not a single person here has explained why being a sup is a bad idea. I already explained why I want to be one. Pay raise, better experience, looks good on resume. I am not gonna stay as a loader...

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...ve-some-questions.356870/page-2#ixzz35P6FQH3z
1. Why is being a sup a bad idea???? how much real EXPERIENCE do you you have doing the job????How can you TEACH others if you have no EXPERIENCE yourself????
2. pay raise.......- What are you giving up for that $$$???? it's unfortunate FACT that the p/t sups are just lackeys....they will spend ZERO time teaching you how to manage, supervise, or keep people motivated in this kind of environment.......
3. Looks good on a resume-....your correct there and it illustrates a larger mentality that all mgt has so your likely to fit right in.......YOU HAVE NO RESPECT FOR LABOUR..........and look down on those who CHOOSE to preform physical labour as a choice of employment....it demonstrates a true lack of understanding for manual work. I would clue you in but having never actually done the job you still won't get it......

craftspace234

1. Why is being a sup a bad idea???? how much real EXPERIENCE do you you have doing the job????How can you TEACH others if you have no EXPERIENCE yourself????
2. pay raise.......- What are you giving up for that $$$???? it's unfortunate FACT that the p/t sups are just lackeys....they will spend ZERO time teaching you how to manage, supervise, or keep people motivated in this kind of environment.......
3. Looks good on a resume-....your correct there and it illustrates a larger mentality that all mgt has so your likely to fit right in.......YOU HAVE NO RESPECT FOR LABOUR..........and look down on those who CHOOSE to preform physical labour as a choice of employment....it demonstrates a true lack of understanding for manual work. I would clue you in but having never actually done the job you still won't get it......

1.) Where the hell did I say have no experience? Can you read? I have been working here as a loader
2.) What am I giving up? A $9.50 an hour loading job thats what I gave up lol. O so no one is gonna train me? Funny cause I already have been in training. You think they just leave you on the floor and make you guess how to run a dock? Lmao do you even work for ups?
3.) It's spelled *Labor. I have no respect for labor? How the hell are gonna tell me all this like you know me or something lmao.

Do you even work for Ups? Lol

I'm just gonna assume you are a troll. Nice try though!

blkmamba

I don't understand why everyone on here cries like babies about being a supervisor lol. If I were to stay at ups forever, then yes I could see why its bad. But if I am part time in college, I don't see the harm.

-My pay is bumped up from $9.50 to $15.00 an hour.
-I feel like it is a great managing experience and I will learn a lot and work with others.
-Looks great on a resume when applying for other jobs when I leave college.

If I stayed as an hourly, it would take me several years to pass a sup's pay. And honestly by that time I would have probably found a career by then lol.

Yes but after taxes and benefits you won't make a whole lot more. Most likely you will supervise people who make more than you. I supervised an area where every one of my employees made more than I did.

Your best bet to survive is realize everyone in management is out for themselves. You will understand the pressures after a few weeks. Going in respecting each employee even if they burn you. Trust me if you respect your employees they will eventually respect you (after they finish testing you first) and it will make you life a lot easier. Remember crap rolls down hill and your at the bottom.