Just became part-time supervisor. Have some questions.

craftspace234

Yes but after taxes and benefits you won't make a whole lot more. Most likely you will supervise people who make more than you. I supervised an area where every one of my employees made more than I did.

Your best bet to survive is realize everyone in management is out for themselves. You will understand the pressures after a few weeks. Going in respecting each employee even if they burn you. Trust me if you respect your employees they will eventually respect you (after they finish testing you first) and it will make you life a lot easier. Remember crap rolls down hill and your at the bottom.

Thanks for giving a mature and serious response.

Taxes is something everyone has taken out of their check. And benefits are only about 16 bucks per week taken out of my check according to some sup's I talked to earlier today.

And so what if I work with people who make more than me? These are people that have been here much longer than I have thats why they make more. But either way I don't understand why that matters at all.

And yes I totally understand the pressures of it. Building relationships is key to supervisor from what I know. If you get the people on your side, it will make your life a lot easier. At least thats what I heard and it makes sense.

But in my position now, I feel supervisor>loader. If I stayed a loader it would take me a very very long time to pass sups pay or become a driver. Could take 10+ years

excessivehours

Now in the drug test pool
You asked for advice and you got it. If you think the ribbing you got on this forum is too much for you, wait till you get lit up by a real manager. We as long term UPS employees see the naive and "looking for the shortcut way to full time" PT management sups as nothing but lazy generation "me" peps, you should go for it.

Check to see if you can change your screen name to delta bravo because that's what you will be.

Sorry if were are being too hard on you cupcake, but wait till your first conference call with the DM when you can't make your whatever numbers.

Good luck my naive friend. May the force be with you.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Exactly. Gone to do bigger and better things. I do not intend on staying here my whole life lol

I am so happy you have figured it out. I too thought that thirty years ago. As far as being passed over for supervision nothing could be further from the truth. Every year HR sends out a letter to all hourly employees informing us on the procedures to follow if they are interested in pursuing a career in management. For various well thought out reasons most choose not to submit a letter.

craftspace234

$9.50 an hour? Shouldn't you be making $10/11?

No. Starting pay is 8.50. Then after 3 months, it's 9.50. I was getting less than 200 bucks a week with this pay... Thats why I went to sup. I am making over 300 bucks a week just from being in the training class.

You asked for advice and you got it. If you think the ribbing you got on this forum is too much for you, wait till you get lit up by a real manager. We as long term UPS employees see the naive and "looking for the shortcut way to full time" PT management sups as nothing but lazy generation "me" peps, you should go for it.

Check to see if you can change your screen name to delta bravo because that's what you will be.

Sorry if were are being too hard on you cupcake, but wait till your first conference call with the DM when you can't make your whatever numbers.

Good luck my naive friend. May the force be with you.

Too hard? Lmao no one here was "hard" on anything nor did anyone give me advice. 99% of people on here are trolling and did not answer a single question I asked. Except for one guy.

So you're saying my manager is gonna troll like you guys? Lol can't wait to see it!

Anyways thanks to the 1 or 2 guys who have a serious answer and didn't act like a child like the rest of these people here.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Alright craft...suffice to say that I do agree with you. Many of us just choose not to go into management because it's not where our skills lie or we can see the writing on the wall for most of our sups. To be honest in the 18yrs I've been at UPS I've outlasted all of the PT sups I've known and a solid 75% of the FT sups. It's going to be an education and only a few people have the social grace and patience required to get the job done. For all the reasons you've given I do applaud your choice. I haven't seen you say you're going into management just for the money but to use UPS as a stepping stone for better things. Bravo! But do not in anyway look down on someone for staying pt as a loader or shifter, pickoff, irregulars...any of that. I can only speak for myself but I'm sure there's others. I'm pt still because of a divorce and the pt schedule makes it so I can take care of my littles myself instead of paying for daycare. Some do it to supplement their income or for the insurance. We all know the pt sup job isn't for everyone...it's rough...I'd say 60% of them get shellshocked once they find out how district and division mangers see how things run. Some managers have horrible people skills and demean others. It's rough and tumble. Good luck to you!

sortaisle

Oh and the starting wage got bumped to $10 an as per the National Master Agreement in May. You should look into getting a retro check and seeing if they payed you correctly.

craftspace234

Alright craft...suffice to say that I do agree with you. Many of us just choose not to go into management because it's not where our skills lie or we can see the writing on the wall for most of our sups. To be honest in the 18yrs I've been at UPS I've outlasted all of the PT sups I've known and a solid 75% of the FT sups. It's going to be an education and only a few people have the social grace and patience required to get the job done. For all the reasons you've given I do applaud your choice. I haven't seen you say you're going into management just for the money but to use UPS as a stepping stone for better things. Bravo! But do not in anyway look down on someone for staying pt as a loader or shifter, pickoff, irregulars...any of that. I can only speak for myself but I'm sure there's others. I'm pt still because of a divorce and the pt schedule makes it so I can take care of my littles myself instead of paying for daycare. Some do it to supplement their income or for the insurance. We all know the pt sup job isn't for everyone...it's rough...I'd say 60% of them get shellshocked once they find out how district and division mangers see how things run. Some managers have horrible people skills and demean others. It's rough and tumble. Good luck to you!

Thank you. Best response I have seen on here

As for the $10 pay, they said we aren't getting the contract until August?

I go to UPS in hodgkins IL if that makes a difference

sortaisle

Unless you have a wonky local agreement, the NMA generally supersedes local agreements...something else to talk to your BA at the union about since you're still technically union...The agreement should have taken effect at the end of May. All of us have got our retro checks already...something stinks in Hodgkins...

blkmamba

I went into supervision knowing it was short term. Like you I saw a quick pay bump and it looks good on a resume. After a few weeks I regretted making the move. I'm moved on and am now a teacher (which is like a supervisor) but can say that only thing I took away from management was how not to treat people.
I hope your experience was different from mine.

browntroll

im gonna give u a bit of advice, i tend to mess with all the new pt sups since i like to put more pressure on them.
get to know whos who in you area(seniority/hardworker/lazy/pro union) u get the idea and learn to work with them.
your hardworkers will work and not complain but make sure you take care of them since they will decide how good your day
goes buy them a soda or something, if theyre late tell them you marked them down as on time.
the seniority guys which are guys that are full time or have high seniority rarely complain but if they want something just listen to them.
lazy workers best bet is to try and build a relationship with them to try to motivate them when you need them to work.
the pro union guys are your worst enemy they will have a stack of grievances before you know it i have no advice on them.

YoungBlood

"Building relationships is key to supervisor from what I know. If you get the people on your side, it will make your life a lot easier. At least thats what I heard and it makes sense."

You got that right. Along with this advice here's some more from pt sup to pt sup. Clean your attitude up and grow up. You want to be a leader? You sure as hell got off to one hell of a bad start if you conduct yourself in person anything like you do on here.

As for the raises, it is up to management's discretion from what I gather mostly, but the raise progression is completely different from union and I've already talked to several people at my hub who regret (even after only having been pt sup for a year) going management simply because of the raise progression. Plus you have to pay out of pocket for your benefits.

Use the tuition reimbursement, get yourself through undergrad, and get out with the experience you gained working for UPS. It does look good on a resume, but what is a resume worth when your attitude sucks?

Fedex Guy

I don't understand why everyone on here cries like babies about being a supervisor lol. If I were to stay at ups forever, then yes I could see why its bad. But if I am part time in college, I don't see the harm.

-My pay is bumped up from $9.50 to $15.00 an hour.
-I feel like it is a great managing experience and I will learn a lot and work with others.
-Looks great on a resume when applying for other jobs when I leave college.

If I stayed as an hourly, it would take me several years to pass a sup's pay. And honestly by that time I would have probably found a career by then lol.
If you are 100% leaving ups it's fine. For your sake I hope it's sooner rather than later.

Just to be clear, I don't work for FedEx. Crazy I know.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yeah those "clowns" I am gonna be supervising are people like you who stay as loaders for the rest of their lives lol.
Yes "People like you".. I can judge that you're qualified to be a PT supervisor.

But all of that aside, I see a lot of kids take the plunge into PT supervisor role and they get by just fine and after a couple years, they're all done. But for myself, the best thing I didn't do at UPS was go into PT supervision in operations because my career paths didn't pan out. (yet) ;)

craftspace234

sortaisle said:
He said wrong thread a post above...

Yeah thats after he edited his post

im gonna give u a bit of advice, i tend to mess with all the new pt sups since i like to put more pressure on them.
get to know whos who in you area(seniority/hardworker/lazy/pro union) u get the idea and learn to work with them.
your hardworkers will work and not complain but make sure you take care of them since they will decide how good your day
goes buy them a soda or something, if theyre late tell them you marked them down as on time.
the seniority guys which are guys that are full time or have high seniority rarely complain but if they want something just listen to them.
lazy workers best bet is to try and build a relationship with them to try to motivate them when you need them to work.
the pro union guys are your worst enemy they will have a stack of grievances before you know it i have no advice on them.

Thank you

"Building relationships is key to supervisor from what I know. If you get the people on your side, it will make your life a lot easier. At least thats what I heard and it makes sense."

You got that right. Along with this advice here's some more from pt sup to pt sup. Clean your attitude up and grow up. You want to be a leader? You sure as hell got off to one hell of a bad start if you conduct yourself in person anything like you do on here.

As for the raises, it is up to management's discretion from what I gather mostly, but the raise progression is completely different from union and I've already talked to several people at my hub who regret (even after only having been pt sup for a year) going management simply because of the raise progression. Plus you have to pay out of pocket for your benefits.

Use the tuition reimbursement, get yourself through undergrad, and get out with the experience you gained working for UPS. It does look good on a resume, but what is a resume worth when your attitude sucks?

My attitude does not suck. When I ask serious questions and all I get is trolls and childish responses, of course my attitude is gonna seem bad. Its not though.

Thanks for the response

CACH is under their own NMA (Locals 705 and 710) which has yet to be ratified. They are still working under an extension of their previous agreement.

Thank you for explaining

Yes "People like you".. I can judge that you're qualified to be a PT supervisor.

But all of that aside, I see a lot of kids take the plunge into PT supervisor role and they get by just fine and after a couple years, they're all done. But for myself, the best thing I didn't do at UPS was go into PT supervision in operations because my career paths didn't pan out. (yet) ;)

Ok thank you for the response

teamsterdan

1.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour
duh college boi.......guess you need to take some more english courses
2."A $9.50 an hour loading job thats what I gave up lol." oooooh its one whole PEAK season????? bet ya really learned a lot
3."I have no respect for labor How the hell are gonna tell me all this like you know me or something lmao. " guess you have not yet learned much in MGT SKOOL yet...........you can tell a lot about a person when you read how they write..........TROLL????? 21+ yrs was on strike in 1997 when you we looking at other boys in the jr high locker room.....
like i said you'll fit right in cause you are clueless...........

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...ve-some-questions.356870/page-3#ixzz35UZbeBcO
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...ve-some-questions.356870/page-3#ixzz35UZCxnrc

RandomDrone

I think a lot of the trolling directed at you is because you clearly don't "get" what a part time sup does. You technically manage the people on your belt but going from loader to PT sup is a lateral move at best. First of all, when your belt does not meet its numbers you have to answer to the higher ups, even if there was nothing you could have possibly done about it, however you can't say that because it's "making excuses" or whatever. Second, lots of the hourlies will take out their own frustrations on you, so you get it from both sides. Third, you think you are done loading? In my experience PT sups end up doing quite a bit of that because the stress of meeting numbers and lack of people on the belt gets the best of them (and ends up with grievances as well). Most importantly you basically have to do whatever you are told with regards to working late, coming early, and working extra days. You lose union protection and are at the mercy of the people above you.

So you get crap from both above and "below", are the scapegoat for when things go wrong, the physical labor still exists, and your job is constantly on the line. I've only been working in a medium sized hub for around a year and every PT sup I've gotten close with has told me they regretted their decision to take that path. I've seen many melt down, get fired, etc.

Also the reason you get such a negative response is people that have put in decades take a bit of offense at statements like: "I am gonna be supervising are people like you who stay as loaders for the rest of their lives lol", because it's clear you don't respect the people that you are at least technically managing and because they've seen dozens of people just like you come through and get burned before.

RandomDrone

The ONLY upside is it will look good on a resume but get ready for an education about how large corporations really operate. Guess what, the smileT stops rolling at you now.

Some of the FTers may want to pay attention to your post of why people stay PT. It is not always because we are all losers and lazy. I served 22 years in my states National Guard and would not have been able to do that working as a package car driver FT.