Just became part-time supervisor. Have some questions.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I have often wondered why there are so many career PT sups. Is the money that good they can't afford to give the job. I am pretty sure after so many years they would have been making more an hour with more seniority opportunities staying Union.
We only have one career PT sup in my building. I think their spouse earns good money and doesn't really have a need to earn more. Does it to earn some money on their own. Not to mention we'd be screwed without em. You want to talk about the glue that holds the building together.

We have many career PT sups on preload, day sort and twi. Can't say about the midnight sort as I never see them. 10+ years and I don't believe they want to go any farther. I know most have FT jobs elsewhere.

elo

Trying to figure out where they hid the body.
I have often wondered why there are so many career PT sups. Is the money that good they can't afford to give the job. I am pretty sure after so many years they would have been making more an hour with more seniority opportunities staying Union.

I haven't made it a "career" yet, but I work with 3 who have. One has another job, one has been there 20 years, and the third is an anomaly.

Oddly I know a pt sup with a little less than a year with UPS recently went ft.

Last edited:
I haven't made it a "career" yet, but I work with 3 who have. One has another job, one has been there 20 years, and the third is an anomaly.

Oddly I know a pt sup with a little less than a year with UPS recently went ft.
I have seen the exact same thing. Seniority doesn't count for nothing in PT supervision. In fact I believe the FT sups and Managers would rather promote someone a bit less then great to make themselves look smarter and more competent.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Hello everyone. It's been about 6 months since I got promoted as a part time supervisor and I still like the job.

A lot of the things you guys said in here were true. Have to deal with employees and managers that bitch at you, get blamed for a lot of things even if they aren't your fault, your numbers represent how well you do, building relationships is key and that you still have to load a lot. The job is pretty stressful at times. However, it's not THAT bad as people point out to be. People really exaggerate on how bad it is. I still like it. The job not only pays well but it also teaches you how to become faster at things, manage your time well, plan ahead and become more responsible. I also notice that the time flies by real fast since you are always doing something. So yes the job is stressful but it's not nearly as bad as people point it out to be and I think its a perfect part time job for a college student like me.

If you're a college student intent on staying with UPS for the short-term, it's a great job. If you're intending on staying with UPS long-term, it may lead to a more rewarding job within the company but it's often dead end and your subordinates will surpass you in compensation.

One thing to think about... research your major. Many companies are increasingly seeking multiple internships from graduates, and while your supervision experience may standout, you'll be disadvantaged at others including accounting, marketing, finance, etc.