Just hired

ragu

Hello all, I start driver training on monday as a casual off-the-street pkg driver. I've read through many pages in this forum and have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting myself into during the peak season. I worked a couple years doing deliveries for a print shop which was very strenuous and fast paced work and I don't mind working hard or being taken for granted by mgt. I was wondering if anyone could lend me some good advice, particularly with regard to the driver training, what it entails and is there anything I could study to get a jump on it. Or any advice on how to be kept on after christmas, from what I've read it seems you have to be in the right place and have left a great impression for them to consider keeping you on. Thanks in advance, I've gotten so much more information about my new job here than I did through the HR person.

dave_socal

PACKAGE/FEEDER
Welcome ragu, I hope you continue to ask questions and be open to suggestions and advice. This company can fullfill your need for employment and advancement. Find out about the past service culture that is slowly changing for the worse hopefully good people like yourself can filter up into management and help turn this company back on course. Don't get me wrong Ragu you'll find a good people that work here, just steer clear of the "bitter can't be done guy". :thumbup1:

browniehound

My advice would be not to get discouraged the first couple of weeks. It WILL get easier. I think too many people give up too soon. Heck, it takes a good year to really get the job down as to where you won't be making rookie mistakes.

happybob

Feeders
ragu said:
Hello all, I start driver training on monday as a casual off-the-street pkg driver. I've read through many pages in this forum and have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting myself into during the peak season. I worked a couple years doing deliveries for a print shop which was very strenuous and fast paced work and I don't mind working hard or being taken for granted by mgt. I was wondering if anyone could lend me some good advice, particularly with regard to the driver training, what it entails and is there anything I could study to get a jump on it. Or any advice on how to be kept on after christmas, from what I've read it seems you have to be in the right place and have left a great impression for them to consider keeping you on. Thanks in advance, I've gotten so much more information about my new job here than I did through the HR person.

At driver training you will learn the basics of how to deliver and how to drive and work safe. These are the most impoortant things you will learn. When you get to your center you will have an on car supervisor take you out on raod your first few days. This is where you'll learn the most. Don't be afraid to ask this supervisor the questions you asked here. What can I do to make it as a driver in this center? What are your expectaions of me? Listen to him or her and folow through with what he/she expects. Most of them will tell you what they expect. Be respectfull. The first impression you make will be the lasting impression. I hate to be this blunt, but, you will work your ass off like never before. You will hear and see many things that may be different that what you learn at driver training. If you have a problem with this, live with it untill you make it on as permanent. If you have a problem with payroll, take it to your supervisor and let him/her fix the problem. Keep your complaints to yourself, unless you feel they jepordise your safety. If they do jepordise your safety them take it up with that person in a respectfull way. Don't ever try to show up a supervisor or manager.

ragu

Thanks much for all the great advice, I really appreciate it. I assume your sup is the person you want to leave the best impression with? I'm sure I'll figure out who needs to be brown nosed in time. If any former off-the-streeters with success stories or tips have any good info I'de love to hear it. Thanks

Ragu -- I started in your situation about 3 weeks ago. It's good that you're willing to work hard. You should also be prepared to work at least 2 hours off the clock each day -- an hour in the morning to sort your package car and an hour you will be docked for the lunch you will work through. Those 2 hours amount to $44 in unpaid overtime every day. The hard work is easier for me to stomach than the unpaid time that is required to get through the day.

trickpony1

Ragu-
....get your calculator and multiply $44 times the number of days you will work in a year. This is how much money you will be giving the company.

Do what it takes to make your 30 day probation (skip lunch, run, sort your truck in the morning) and then gradually quit doing the free labor.

ragu

I'll only be upset by losing the $44 a day if in Jan I don't get hired on FT. Hey JDinMD/CA, how have people generally responded to you being an off-the-street hire? From what I've read here most people accept you if you work hard yet there seems to be alot of resentment by some for getting in the "easy way". Just wondering what your experience has been.

No one seems to mind me being an off-the-street hire. The full-timers obviously are aware of the uncertainty we're dealing with, considering there are no benefits and possibly no job come January.

UPS wants to get the most it can out of its people. I completely understand that. And it seems to me that the managers just want to be sure they've got a good worker.