Just how much job security do we really have as union employees

PTPeanuts

This morning after load I was taken into a truck with the onroad sup and a driver.
The PT sup said the truck looked excellent that morning but nonetheless the driver apparently went and complained to the onroad sup so the three of us went in the cargo area and had a "training session" which consisted of them nitpicking the load.

He said he wants every single package in perfect numerical order, that there should be no gaps at all in between packages (he has a huge truck, not sure what model it is but the cargo area is the most spacious I've ever seen and is never full, only runs about 220 packages daily), and that I need to identify and group together every bulk stop (even "bulk stops" consisting of 2 packages).

As he was explaining this, he elucidated his point by saying something like "You see, look here, if the packages are like this, I have to walk all the way down here (he proceeded to walk literally two steps) and grab it."
I almost started laughing because it struck me as comical at first until I realized he was dead serious.

The manager proceeded to tell me that after the load is done I should be "massaging the load" to clean it up and reach the driver's standards (even though I am cut as soon as my last small is coming down the belt and am not allotted any time at all to do this. I am never even allowed to stay for air.)
My temper started to rise and I made a few sarcastic comments to them. The manager seemed apologetic but the driver didn't say much after that.

I'm wondering just how much push back we can give, how much mouthing off can we do before it becomes an issue? Because what they were asking for is ridiculous in light of the work expected of me and I'm at that stage in my life where I am not liable to keep my mouth shut anymore. I'm open to criticism but I'm not going to put up with unrealistic standards.

This morning after load I was taken into a truck with the onroad sup and a driver.
The PT sup said the truck looked excellent that morning but nonetheless the driver apparently went and complained to the onroad sup so the three of us went in the cargo area and had a "training session" which consisted of them nitpicking the load.

He said he wants every single package in perfect numerical order, that there should be no gaps at all in between packages (he has a huge truck, not sure what model it is but the cargo area is the most spacious I've ever seen and is never full, only runs about 220 packages daily), and that I need to identify and group together every bulk stop (even "bulk stops" consisting of 2 packages).

As he was explaining this, he elucidated his point by saying something like "You see, look here, if the packages are like this, I have to walk all the way down here (he proceeded to walk literally two steps) and grab it. I almost started laughing because it struck me as comical at first until I realized he was dead serious.

The manager proceeded to tell me that after the load is done I should be "massaging the load" to clean it up and reach the driver's standards (even though I am cut as soon as my last small is coming down the belt and am not allotted any time at all to do this)
My temper started to rise and I made a few sarcastic comments to them. The manager seemed apologetic but the driver didn't say much after that.

I'm wondering just how much push back we can give, how much mouthing off can we do before it becomes an issue? Because what they were asking for is ridiculous in light of the work expected of me and I'm at that stage in my life where I am not liable to keep my mouth shut anymore. I'm open to criticism but I'm not going to put up with unrealistic standards.
The packages do not come down the box line or belt line in perfect order nor is everyone a perfect size to put on the shelf. put the right package in the right package car to the best of your ability and don't worry about it

542thruNthru

Don't push back, it's not worth the argument. Just stand there look bored and nod. Then just say. "Ok, I'll do my best."

Keep doing what you're doing and ignore it. The driver wants a perfect load and is probably also being bitched at for his numbers. So he's blaming you.

You can not be fired for not "massaging" the load. So ignore it.

LarryBird

Your job, and how well you do it/the amount of care you put into it, DIRECTLY affects our day - it's the single biggest factor in whether we will have a good or bad day.

A bad load - :censored2: everywhere with no care put into where the packages are loaded or how bulk stops are grouped, or a load that’s poorly thought out - early day packages buried underneath 7-8000s on the wheelwells where they can't be seen or accessed without unloading/moving 10 pcs around just to make the stop....this :censored2: KILLS us.

A good load - one where the loader has done his best to get the packages on the correct shelf, in pretty close to the correct order, and doesn't have us looking a for that last straggler package of a 26 piece bulk stop, because they were loaded together. If you have packages for your load that day that are loaded under things or in a place other than the PAL number - scribble down a quick note and leave it on the driver's seat...these things, especially the note, makes our day so much better - not easier, but smoother, faster, and less frustrating,

As someone who loads the package cars, you should think to yourself everyday, "how would I load this truck, if it was me who had to deliver it"?

All that said, I know you guys have a near impossible job. The packages keep getting bigger, and there's more of them than ever too. They don't come down in order, and you've got to get them in the trucks to make room to get to the belt and your other cars, and worry about the order later...sometimes they toss you before that later comes. We understand all that. But you've really got to make a true and honest effort at doing your best everyday - you have one of the most important jobs at the company and the one that most affects your union bros and hoes.

If you're doing your best, and it's not perfect, oh well. That's how it goes. But just saying "oh that’s good enough", and half-assing it, instead of trying to make it as neat and organized as possible, is totally unacceptable. For everyone - PT sup, Sort Sup, Driver, Dispatch, ORS, Center Manager...we ALL suffer that day if the loaders don't do their jobs correctly. That's how important it is - now if they only paid you guys like it was, I have a feeling we'd have less issues...but that's just my guess.

SameRightsForAll

work as directed and make bank

Wrong answer. The driver isn't the employer or the director. He's an equal co-worker. He's not "above" the truck loader or unloader or any other worker for that matter. As for when you're getting chewed out by somebody, it's in your best interest to say the least possible response that's the most truthful, such as "I'm doing my best", and stay calm while they go off the rails. You don't even have to respond. But yes, you should group multiple packages for the same stop, and any time you get 15 seconds hop on and order as many packages as you can a few at a time starting from the 1000's and up.

WTFm8

Load it in sequence, as the job SHOULD be done. Irregs and bulks in sequence on floor, no custom loads cause it screws a cover if they run the route. Driver should be in dispatches office to have regular bulk stops reassigned to the spot they want it.

You should be have looked the driver in the face and told him you’re his union brother and the load is the way it is because of managements time constraints. You should be loading in sequence and filing on management for harassment if they say anything about speed.

Work as directed doesn't apply when being told to not follow the methods or safety related. Get a backbone and stand up for yourself without raising your voice or cursing.

rod

Retired 22 years
Do people really do this? How would you get away with it?
It seems like all that would happen is the PT sup would come strolling by 2 hours into the shift and check the truck and then make you redo everything.
Don't even think of doing that. Just do your job to the best of your ability and in a safe manor and they can't do anything to you. Get used to being yelled at---it comes with the job no matter what your position is.

PTPeanuts

Load it in sequence, as the job SHOULD be done. Irregs and bulks in sequence on floor, no custom loads cause it screws a cover if they run the route. Driver should be in dispatches office to have regular bulk stops reassigned to the spot they want it.

You should be have looked the driver in the face and told him you’re his union brother and the load is the way it is because of managements time constraints. You should be loading in sequence and filing on management for harassment if they say anything about speed.

Work as directed doesn't apply when being told to not follow the methods or safety related. Get a backbone and stand up for yourself without raising your voice or cursing.

I put things in sequence the best I can but when I have a full 3000 shelf and I start getting a bunch of 3100s during the last trailer they are going wherever there is room on the shelf. If that is on top of a bunch of 3700s or to the left of a 3600 then so be it.
I have multiple trucks to worry about and I simply don't have the time to stop, taking everything off a shelf, and rearrange an entire truck just so a driver doesn't have to walk 2 extra steps to grab a package that is out of sequence.