Just passed probation, attendance question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my ticket to go out of country over 2 weeks ago during my probation period. I was hired on Nov 13th during peak and was never let go. Jan 15th ended peak season and Jan 16th I started my 30 day probation period. Last week I just completed my 30 days, so I asked about taking a couple days off. I just turned in my paper to request days off but I have a strong feeling they will be denied. I need 7 working days off and I am extremely nervous about losing my job because of it. My girlfriend is pregnant and I need to be there for her. Like I said, I am extremely nervous and want to be there when my girlfriend needs me the most. Will the union protect me, am I able to call in each day that wasn't approved to call off work? Please help, I haven't missed a single day since Nov 13th.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I bought my ticket to go out of country over 2 weeks ago during my probation period. I was hired on Nov 13th during peak and was never let go. Jan 15th ended peak season and Jan 16th I started my 30 day probation period. Last week I just completed my 30 days, so I asked about taking a couple days off. I just turned in my paper to request days off but I have a strong feeling they will be denied. I need 7 working days off and I am extremely nervous about losing my job because of it. My girlfriend is pregnant and I need to be there for her. Like I said, I am extremely nervous and want to be there when my girlfriend needs me the most. Will the union protect me, am I able to call in each day that wasn't approved to call off work? Please help, I haven't missed a single day since Nov 13th.
Is the girlfriend in another country?

Method Mensch

Some states have "paid for sick time" or paternity leave laws. I'm not sure if FMLA can be used to care for a pregnancy situation, but it's worth looking into.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Some states have "paid for sick time" or paternity leave laws. I'm not sure if FMLA can be used to care for a pregnancy situation, but it's worth looking into.

He doesn't have enough time in for fmla, but yes, it covers pregnancy. He can request a leave of absence per article 16 of the Master, but it'll be entirely at the company's discretion to grant it.

A bit insensitive seems how it was intentional but that's alright. I'm glad you guys are here to troll while im actually trying to get help.... I already looked into FMLA and I haven't been there for a year yet. We're getting a place in August, just getting a visa isn't a fun process... Any help would help greatly appreciated!

Wear a rubber. Take a pill. Pull out.

Good lord why is not getting pregnant so hard?

542thruNthru

He doesn't have enough time in for fmla, but yes, it covers pregnancy. He can request a leave of absence per article 16 of the Master, but it'll be entirely at the company's discretion to grant it.

Actually Section 4 of that article says that he shall be granted 1 week of paternity leave.
sketch-1582746271673.jpg

542thruNthru

Inform your steward of the issue. Speak to management with your steward present and tell them you need 1 week off for paternity leave. Article 16 section 4 of the national master agreement, if your steward does not know.

Last edited:
I have a doctors appointment the day before I leave so I am going to take all options available I guess. Its BS because I was only going to take 5 days off, all peak and during my 30 days I was M-friend. As soon as my 30 ended, I was changed T-S making me need 7 days off...

542thruNthru

I have a doctors appointment the day before I leave so I am going to take all options available I guess. Its BS because I was only going to take 5 days off, all peak and during my 30 days I was M-friend. As soon as my 30 ended, I was changed T-S making me need 7 days off...

That's the job man. I suggest you get used to it. You have no seniority so you get the worst shift. You want to make it here than read your contract and grow thick skin.

D

Deleted member 77202

Hopefully you mentioned to a Supervisor that your girlfriend was pregnant -- like by the end of your very first week of work -- and gave he or she a heads up that, if hired after peak, you'll be needing to take days off when the baby comes?

If you didn't discuss her pregnancy at all until after you completed your 30 days, then I doubt they're gonna be happy with ya for waiting until the last minute.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Actually Section 4 of that article says that he shall be granted 1 week of paternity leave.
View attachment 284376

I had forgotten that part, but it sounds like this is about him helping his girlfriend get a visa, and not directly about the pregnancy. Maybe I'm reading that wrong.

Are you going to your girlfriend for the delivery? Or is she having complications? Or is this simply about getting her into the US? The contractual paternity leave can help, if it applies, but your best bet is to tell your management what is going on. If they won't give you the time, then tell them you have to leave, and they can terminate your employment if they have to, but that you'd like to come back to work once you have things settled.

542thruNthru

I had forgotten that part, but it sounds like this is about him helping his girlfriend get a visa, and not directly about the pregnancy. Maybe I'm reading that wrong.

Are you going to your girlfriend for the delivery? Or is she having complications? Or is this simply about getting her into the US? The contractual paternity leave can help, if it applies, but your best bet is to tell your management what is going on. If they won't give you the time, then tell them you have to leave, and they can terminate your employment if they have to, but that you'd like to come back to work once you have things settled.

I didn't see anything about another country other than what @Brownslave688 said. Just that he wants to be there for the pregnancy to help. I could have missed it though.

No, we are in the process of the visa, she is coming to the states and we're finishing those things up now. I won't be able to be there when shes delivering as I am getting us ready for our new apartment . Shes currently 7 months in and this is the only time I can really spare to go as the next few months will be extremely hectic.

542thruNthru

No, we are in the process of the visa, she is coming to the states and we're finishing those things up now. I won't be able to be there when shes delivering as I am getting us ready for our new apartment . Shes currently 7 months in and this is the only time I can really spare to go as the next few months will be extremely hectic.

So is this for after she gives birth or what?

542thruNthru

I have seen her once since she has been pregnant. Shes been feeling not well at all this past month so I would like to be there at the only time I am really able to.

Well I'm not a expert on this stuff but I'm pretty sure paternity leave (the language I posted) is for birth/after. So you may be screwed.

Hate to say it man but your girl may have to just suck it up. I know we all want to be there for our loved ones but we also need to provide for them and losing this job would not be a good start.

allahuakbar

She/Her
This sounds like stuff you need to communicate with your management team and your shop steward. Fmla will only cover while she’s in labor and after.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What country is girlfriend in and when is she due?

Status
Not open for further replies.