Just started at FedEx.

Skyboy

I had my first day at FedEx today. And I can say, I see why many people quit so quickly. It's definitely rough. They started me off loading vans. The lifting isn't the hardest part for me. It's memorizing the addresses and what sections the packages go in. Also I have to remember how many of a package there's going to be. Any tips ? And how long did it take you guys to get the hang of this ?

The first week or two are the hardest, after that you'll get the hang of it. Don't you guys use vision labels? They help a lot with sorting out what goes where. They also usually have the expected volume for each stop, which helps to load properly.

Also, if you think loading is hard, be thankful they didn't start you in the unload. That's backbreaking work.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I had my first day at FedEx today. And I can say, I see why many people quit so quickly. It's definitely rough. They started me off loading vans. The lifting isn't the hardest part for me. It's memorizing the addresses and what sections the packages go in. Also I have to remember how many of a package there's going to be. Any tips ? And how long did it take you guys to get the hang of this ?

Quit now and find a real job. You'll thank me later.

SmithBarney

Sounds like a handler at Ground from the description.. If that's the case 2 scenarios.
1. if you are a kid and just are using this as a job, stay, take the money if they offer education assistance take it.

2. if you are an adult and think this is a career making day... you are wrong. but if you are deeply in need of work
like many in the US... keep it, and even take the education assistance but be prepared to work yourself out of the job and into a career elsewhere within 5 years..

CJinx

Package handler jobs can get your foot in the door if you plan on doing other things in Fedex. I was a package handler once; now I'm a QA clerk. Others have gone on to sales, management, etc. You can go places with that job if you want to.

Skyboy

The first week or two are the hardest, after that you'll get the hang of it. Don't you guys use vision labels? They help a lot with sorting out what goes where. They also usually have the expected volume for each stop, which helps to load properly. Also, if you think loading is hard, be thankful they didn't start you in the unload. That's backbreaking work.
Yea I'm sure I'll have this pretty much mastered by 2 weeks. Today was my second day and I felt much much more comfortable. And yes, we use vision labels. My trainer is urging me to pretty much ignore them for the most part though lol. Wants to get me memorizing the addresses. They do come in handy though. And yea, I've just gotta keep in mind to stay focused on the amount of volume too. Like I said, I felt much more comfortable today. I don't think I'll need any help from my trainer by the end of next week.
Quit now and find a real job. You'll thank me later.
I was really leaning there after day one lol.
whatever you do, don't walk out that door. DIVE OUT HEAD FIRST AND RUN LIKE THE WIND!
Heard this so many times lol. I might get that "Oh God what have I gotten myself into?!?!?!!" feeling again. But that was only for 1-2 hours during day 1. I'm starting to get the hang of this. Plus I'm no stranger to back breaking work. I worked with m dad allllll last summer and for memorial day weekend of this year. He's a bread delivery man....starts at 4am....finishes at about 5pm.....on a hot ass bread truck with no ac. Pushing and pulling bread stacks up and down that damn tetanus invested rusty ramp. Past the rotting fly infested meat that has been left to bake in the sun by the careless supermarkets and up their pot hole and crack ridden ramp. Might have been worth it though. I did get a whopping 40 dollars a day for a 90 degree 12 hour shift. (NEVER AGAIN !)

Last edited:

DontThrowPackages

How long it takes to get the hang depends on the individual. I'm assuming you're a young person so my advise is to get enough rest the night before a work day. Rest is good for the brain and these guys are right, you should look at where you are now as a stepping stone into a better position. Ground is hard work and if you have the chance to do better then think hard when that time comes. Good luck to you.

CJinx

my advise is to get enough rest the night before a work day.
Oh man. My first day on the job as a package handler, I was unloading trailers. I went home and collapsed on the couch, only to wake up in time for the next day's shift. I had to wear long sleeve shirts for the first few weeks because my arms were all bruised to hell.

Goldilocks

Sometimes on Saturdays I have jumped in the cans and oh boy its hard work, but I'm almost 54....Stick with it, change job positions maybe go into management but in 5 years move on....Good Luck to you...

HomeDelivery

if you can't take it, be a handler for HD... you don't have to pack the vans; you just leave them on a pile.

We do the sorting / loading of our own vehicles before we drive out of the building. (we don't get paid for it though)

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
We do the sorting / loading of our own vehicles before we drive out of the building. (we don't get paid for it though)
You guys should be paid for that but that would take a few nickels from Fred's riches. He must have the Department Of Labor paid off too. No wonder why Ground is so "profitable."

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

You guys should be paid for that but that would take a few nickels from Fred's riches. He must have the Department Of Labor paid off too. No wonder why Ground is so "profitable."

Hell no...no way am I loading anything unless I am getting paid. Company policy says...oh wait, they don't work for FredEx....

HomeDelivery

well, since HD has a ROADS in place since I can remember, they should be able to load the vehicles in stop order as well... but that will mean more warehouse workers would be needed & thus more expenses.

sometimes, the ROADS program or the dispatcher took a dump ~ i'll look at the delivery map of the day & re-organize my load to maximize MY efficiency instead of following trace.

some of us, though, are allowed to drive straight home with our package cars when we're done.

CJinx

I still don't understand why ground gets their trucks loaded but HD does not. It is really strange in a co-location, where half the buildings trucks are being loaded and the other half are not...

franknitty

I was told by handler who works for ground last week, that there's a high turnover for handlers there. Hmmm ? I wonder why ?

HomeDelivery

I still don't understand why ground gets their trucks loaded but HD does not. It is really strange in a co-location, where half the buildings trucks are being loaded and the other half are not...

oh that sucks! so a co-location that has both Ground & HD doesn't get all their vehicles loaded up?

some days, i'd prefer to have the package car pre-loaded in stop order & i'll just come in at 8AM instead of coming in at 6AM to start my day...

CJinx

Being new and all, I just realized I have no idea whether or not we work on July 4th., Do we ?
Not sure about the handlers, but office staff and isp/drivers will have the 4th off. Preload typically works the holiday and gets the following day off.

CJinx

oh that sucks! so a co-location that has both Ground & HD doesn't get all their vehicles loaded up?

some days, i'd prefer to have the package car pre-loaded in stop order & i'll just come in at 8AM instead of coming in at 6AM to start my day...
I can't speak for all colos, but that's how ours works. The home delivery van line has all of 3 handlers assigned to it, and more shift over when it inevitably overflows. I think the preload manager relies on isp hd drivers coming in early pitching in, which I find incredibly inappropriate. What if someone gets hurt?