Just went friend/t pkg car driver...any advice?

PTer4Ever

After 9.5 years as a p/t air ramp employee, I unexpectedly won a bid for a friend/t driver job. I have yet to be contacted by management, so I'm not sure when I will start my training. I'm in the north central district.

I know I will have to work my tail off, but honestly I am looking forward to it. I understand that it will not be easy. I am a hard worker who is excited about the new challenges that I will face. After reading a lot of the posts here, it seems like this job is anything but likable. Does anyone have any advice/tips/whatnot they would like to share with the "new guy"? Thanks.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

After 9.5 years as a p/t air ramp employee, I unexpectedly won a bid for a friend/t driver job. I have yet to be contacted by management, so I'm not sure when I will start my training. I'm in the north central district.

I know I will have to work my tail off, but honestly I am looking forward to it. I understand that it will not be easy. I am a hard worker who is excited about the new challenges that I will face. After reading a lot of the posts here, it seems like this job is anything but likable. Does anyone have any advice/tips/whatnot they would like to share with the "new guy"? Thanks.

Eat your wheaties.
Have space in you phone for attractive ladies #'s
Don't run over kiddies playing in snowbanks
Smile at your on car sup; even as fake as the one he/she exhibits
Order clothes at least 1 size too big

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Eat your wheaties.
Have space in you phone for attractive ladies #'s
Don't run over kiddies playing in snowbanks
Smile at your on car sup; even as fake as the one he/she exhibits
Order clothes at least 1 size too big
Rather gender basis reply IDLWTM.

Bring a packed lunch, something thats quick to eat.( you will be working non-stop all day)
Pack extra warm clothes, no telling how long you'll be out daily.
Use your cell phone sparingly ( do not call the center, for they will capture your number )
Do NOT mention to mgt when your probation time has ended, wait a while longer . Try to keep off their radar. Your days will be easier.
Do the route the way you feel comfortable with.

upsdude

Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Management would rather fix a problem before it happens. Find a senior driver that’s respected by both management and hourly, become his friend. He or she will be a person you can get straight answers from. As a senior driver I try and guide the new folks through the UPS maze. Someone was a really big help to me many years ago, I try to pass it on when I can.

Learn to accept that the job you do will never be “good enough”, the UPS culture is one that demands better at all times. If you learn to live with it you’ll be fine and feel less stress in your life.

Good Luck!!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Rather gender basis reply IDLWTM.

Bring a packed lunch, something thats quick to eat.( you will be working non-stop all day)
Pack extra warm clothes, no telling how long you'll be out daily.
Use your cell phone sparingly ( do not call the center, for they will capture your number )
Do NOT mention to mgt when your probation time has ended, wait a while longer . Try to keep off their radar. Your days will be easier.
Do the route the way you feel comfortable with.

Good eye. I was going for more of a stereotypical, cynical sense of humor
rather than gender bias...

Not a bad response by yourself for typing one finger, btw. :biting:

I also recommend to the thread starter - take your time, do your job sensibly
and accurately, not quickly or corner cutting. As a union local BS to be President told me once "you set the bar". Another poster touched on this. The more you do, the more you'll be expected of...so take it easy and set the bar for yourself at a reasonable level.

Griff

Read the contract front to back several times. This is a different ballgame and you need to be armed to the teeth with knowledge regarding your rights. Take full advantage of your contractual entitlements, management hangs their hat on the hope that you won't.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Driving is roughest when you first start. It WILL get easier as time goes on. At first you won't know where you're going, but as you go through progression you will get it. As nuts as it sounds, when my day is really in the weeds I take a lunch break. Sometimes washing your hands and getting some chow makes the day a little better. Best of luck........................llg

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Most of all be safe, having a accident while on your probationary period could make the difference between being a driver or not. Everyone makes mistakes, so just do your best. Take it one stop at a time and don't get overwhelmed at all the work in your truck. Be honest and don't try to hide or cover up any trouble you have during your day.

DS

Fenderbender
The first week on your own is the hardest.You will feel overwhelmed by both the amount of work and all the things you have to remember.My advice is to ask the seasoned drivers a lot of questions,I love showing a newbie how to save time,because time is the one thing you never seem to have enough of.Sorting and prerecording stops during the time when you have no other option will greatly improve your overall efficiency.Not having to go back to a stop twice is detrimental,so try to do it right the first time.I found it took about 3 months to feel confident.

terrymac

on my third day I was on my own, every hour there was some thing that went wrong. I drove right by stops, missed pkgs at mult. pkg stops, drove by call tags, drove by otpu. next day I could go a couple hours without "stuff happening" on a regular baisis. a few days latter It got better, I could have a day every now and then that it seemed to click. then I had a week, that seemed to work.... and the story goes on, you will get better as time goes on, just make sure to work safely, drive like you are trained and dont forget to make your pick ups.................

Lots of good advice here. One thing I used do on the call tag/onetime pu problem that really helped. I would use my clear plastic folder to arrange my CTs and such in order that they needed to be done. Then I would place the folder in the load at the appropriate place, once that one was done I would move the folder in the proper place in the load. IT was kind of a pain in the wazoo, but kept me from doing the "drive by" so much.

1BrownClown

Doing my Time!
Having recently been in your position as a new driver I understand your anxiety. Some of the best advice and tips as to how to make the job easier I obtained not from my sups or co-workers but rather hear @ "The Brown Café". The most helpful tip that sticks out in my mind was from "Griff" where he said to KEEP MOVING and do as many things while walking to your stop as you can (scanning pkgs, bagging pkgs,etc.). If you do not do these things in your truck you will be amazed at how much time you will save over the course of your day. I would as recommended above asking your fellow drivers plenty of questions. You will find the occasional :censored2: but for the most part they remember what was like to be in your shoes as a new driver and are quite helpful.

The job gets easier with time because you will become less stressed mentally, however the physical aspects of the job never change. Best of luck and remember ONE STOP AT A TIME!

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Does anyone have any advice on how to "memorize" your route/streets? Other than repetition, I seem to study maps more often than I use to! :) Plus, I'm pretty dang good a folding maps now!

MrUPSguY

Red Headed Step Child
Just wanted to say good luck to you.

Trust the methods, they have gotten me though some rough days.

Keep moving is one of the best pieces of advice here. The packages will not get delivered if you are standing in the back of your truck crying. (been there) And try to remember, if you have 120 stops, plus pick ups, and you take an extra 60 seconds on every stop, do the math.

Your first year will be the hardest, your arms will look like you were in the ring with Mike Tyson because of all the bruises, your back will hurt because you have never moved so much weight in your life, and your significant other will think your the biggest wussy ever.

Stick in there, the paycheck is worth it!

H

hseofpayne

Pray for a good preloader! Don't make your loader an enemy by talking bad about or to him. If you have problems with your loader,try to explain them to the loader calmly and out of earshot of others. I loaded for 5 years and can tell you whether it is right or not, preloaders load better for drivers they like and or respect. Good Luck!

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Pray for a good preloader! Don't make your loader an enemy by talking bad about or to him. If you have problems with your loader,try to explain them to the loader calmly and out of earshot of others. I loaded for 5 years and can tell you whether it is right or not, preloaders load better for drivers they like and or respect. Good Luck!

Give your preloader a few incentives (or thanks)..I make sure I take care of all my drivers, but I have one driver that brings me breakfast (at least twice a week) before he comes in.{Bacon Egg and Cheese Toaster from Sonic} (His truck comes first any day!) Sure is nice to have something to eat after getting off work!:happy-very:

N

new driver

I am sorry for posting like this, i cant seem to remember my password. I just went driving last year and found out that having a map of the area From the red book copied from the copier and highlighted with all the streets that i would have a stop for that day was really helpful. Remember, mostly your route will not change. So when looking at the map the next day you will have some different streets but for the most part they will be the same. I have no sense of direction, and have a very hard time remembering stuff but with a little time everything gets easier. One final thing, look at the diad before you get to the stop to make sure they only have one pkg, nothing worse then having to go back to the truck and get the other package and go back to the house. Keep all maps of the routes that you do, because you never know when you will be asked to go back on that route again. I just ran my trainning route again last week for the first time in like six months and ran 1.10 early with lunch and breaks and a little extra time for me. Never thought it was possible when i started................ Hope my ramblings helped a little