Kicked out of a mall because of elevator malfunction

8" chub

I have a mall on my route, and one of the freight elevators is notorious for getting stuck. I have been there when a food delivery guy was actually stuck in it, because it didn't return all the way to it's landing, and the mall maintenance guys had to reset it to get him out. I have also seen it stuck numerous other times, without anyone in it.

The inspection certificate displayed inside of it is 2 years out of date. So my method is to load the packages in the elevator, close them in, and send them up while I take the stairs, just in case it gets stuck.

A few weeks ago, the elevator did indeed get stuck with the packages inside, so I went to the mall management office to tell them so they could try to reset it.

The head manager comes along with two maintenance guys, and asked if "I did this dumb :censored2:". I asked for him to elaborate, and he tells me that the reason it stalled was because I didn't ride inside to be able to "hold the inner safety door down". They tell me it's how it works, and I called BS and told them it sounds like it it out of adjustment and I'm not riding in an elevator prone to getting stuck.

He then asks if "I'm a friend'ing elevator expert" and I told him no, but I'm a BS expert and what he is telling me is BS. I told him "But speaking of elevator expert, hang on". I googled the number to Shindler elevator and called them, and asked to speak to a tech. I got some manager, and he confirmed that having to hold down a door is not normal to operate any elevator he has experience with.

The property manager then told me to use it as directed, or don't use it at all.

They got the elevator open, and I made the deliveries. On the way out, I took a picture of the expired certificate, with the state compliance phone number, and I called it in to the state. They opened a case and assured me they would look into it.

Last week I was back in the mall and the property manager sees me and comes up and says "Just get the friend off the property". I asked him why, and he repeated himself so I said friend it and left.

What should I do? I want to just ignore him and see if he calls the cops, or what. What recourse do I have? Management said just "do my best to complete the deliveries" and will not give a clear answer of what they expect me to do.

GenericUsername

Notify your BA and center manager in writing of what you just typed out. Cover your ass. Tell your ORS the situation and if they keep dispatching you there, then just mark the businesses missed. It'll bite them in the ass.

8" chub

I guess I should add that the state department of regulation did follow up with me by phone and said that the elevator in question was current on it's inspection, they just didn't have the new certificate displayed, as they are not required to, but they must show them upon request at the mall office.

He also said they had dispatched the local fire marshal to check out the safety of the elevator, but didn't have any other info.

Sorry, I'm sure I'm leaving some details off- trying to make it short. Plus drunk.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I guess I should add that the state department of regulation did follow up with me by phone and said that the elevator in question was current on it's inspection, they just didn't have the new certificate displayed, as they are not required to, but they must show them upon request at the mall office.

He also said they had dispatched the local fire marshal to check out the safety of the elevator, but didn't have any other info.

Sorry, I'm sure I'm leaving some details off- trying to make it short. Plus drunk.
Is there any other way to deliver there?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I have a mall on my route, and one of the freight elevators is notorious for getting stuck. I have been there when a food delivery guy was actually stuck in it, because it didn't return all the way to it's landing, and the mall maintenance guys had to reset it to get him out. I have also seen it stuck numerous other times, without anyone in it.

The inspection certificate displayed inside of it is 2 years out of date. So my method is to load the packages in the elevator, close them in, and send them up while I take the stairs, just in case it gets stuck.

A few weeks ago, the elevator did indeed get stuck with the packages inside, so I went to the mall management office to tell them so they could try to reset it.

The head manager comes along with two maintenance guys, and asked if "I did this dumb :censored2:". I asked for him to elaborate, and he tells me that the reason it stalled was because I didn't ride inside to be able to "hold the inner safety door down". They tell me it's how it works, and I called BS and told them it sounds like it it out of adjustment and I'm not riding in an elevator prone to getting stuck.

He then asks if "I'm a friend'ing elevator expert" and I told him no, but I'm a BS expert and what he is telling me is BS. I told him "But speaking of elevator expert, hang on". I googled the number to Shindler elevator and called them, and asked to speak to a tech. I got some manager, and he confirmed that having to hold down a door is not normal to operate any elevator he has experience with.

The property manager then told me to use it as directed, or don't use it at all.

They got the elevator open, and I made the deliveries. On the way out, I took a picture of the expired certificate, with the state compliance phone number, and I called it in to the state. They opened a case and assured me they would look into it.

Last week I was back in the mall and the property manager sees me and comes up and says "Just get the friend off the property". I asked him why, and he repeated himself so I said friend it and left.

What should I do? I want to just ignore him and see if he calls the cops, or what. What recourse do I have? Management said just "do my best to complete the deliveries" and will not give a clear answer of what they expect me to do.
What I got out of this is that you are ignorant and like most ignorant people, you don't know it.

CoolStoryBro

"Cool Story Bro" him. If he persists then ask him to please call the police. Talk to managers at the places you are delivering. Get them on your side.

Ride the elevator like a normal person. If you get stuck who cares? You get paid by the hour. I'd just sit there and not even notify anyone. Maybe send a simple DIAD message like "stuck in elevator" to cover my ass.

barnyard

KTM rider
Wait just a second here.
You have a mall with an elevator?!?!?!?!?!?
Holy cripes.

Seriously though. Deliver without the elevator. See how long that takes.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Call your local news outlets and put this manager right to :censored2:ing bed, he will have a microscope up his ass. Trust me he will wish he never messed with you about this elevator and had kept it in compliance.

barnyard

KTM rider
The mall is private property. If the mall manager kicks him out, the owner of the property is telling him to stay out. The tenants can make life miserable for the mall manager, but if he sticks to his guns and complains to UPS, he may get the mall removed from his route.

In my center, we had a person say that she felt threatened by the driver. That stop was removed from the route and put on another route.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
What I got out of this is that you are ignorant and like most ignorant people, you don't know it.

And you wonder why the rest of us just think you are an ignorant ass?

If you don't have anything constructive to add, maybe keep your mouth shut? Along the lines of, "its better to keep one's mouth shut and let others think you're an idiot instead of opening your mouth and proving them right!"

iruhnman630

The mall is liable for keeping their elevators in proper working order.

Your management, union, and local loss prevention team should be involved, in cooperation with local authorities, imo.

No way should they have punished you for not operating the malfunctioning elevator at your own risk.

El Correcto

god is dead

I’d wait about a day or two that mall will probably close down like the rest and this problem will solve itself.