LABOR

Serf

Go for it.
It may be a little old, but this past weekend all those UPS UNION drivers who staged a 90 minute protest in Long Island. (250 to be exact) Were all fired for violating the Union Agreement. I wonder what would happen at Express if couriers decided to do this?

CJinx

They'd all be fired.
Service would be shot to hell for weeks while management scrambled to hire and train replacements. The managers responsible might not get fired immediately, but they'd definitely get tarred and feathered for allowing it to happen.

Last edited:

thedownhillEXPRESS

It may be a little old, but this past weekend all those UPS UNION drivers who staged a 90 minute protest in Long Island. (250 to be exact) Were all fired for violating the Union Agreement. I wonder what would happen at Express if couriers decided to do this?
FedEx might decide to fire 250 random employees just to show solidarity,lol....

bbsam

Staff member
They'd all be fired.
Service would be shot to hell for weeks while management scrambled to hire and train replacements. The managers responsible might not get fired immediately, but they'd definitely get tarred and feathered for allowing it to happen.
If they did it in the right place, New York and DC for example, they'd at least finally have a national stage for their grievances. Might even bring in a national campaign by the IBT if they saw couriers finally ready to put it all on the line. I think it's a good idea. Nothing else even gets any press from even a sympathetic media personality like Ed Schultz. But at this time, Express is a lot better than WalMart or nothing at all.

vantexan

If they did it in the right place, New York and DC for example, they'd at least finally have a national stage for their grievances. Might even bring in a national campaign by the IBT if they saw couriers finally ready to put it all on the line. I think it's a good idea. Nothing else even gets any press from even a sympathetic media personality like Ed Schultz. But at this time, Express is a lot better than WalMart or nothing at all.
Someone is always wanting someone else to stick their neck out so that they might eventually have it better even though it causes someone else to lose their job. The only way anything will truly happen is if EVERYONE participates such as in a national sit-in for a day. The embarrassment it would cause FedEx, not to mention the anger the customers would have, might improve things. But since couriers are divided it won't happen. By the way bbsam, you still have the power to greatly improve your drivers' lives by taking a bit less for yourself and paying them more. Talk is cheap, show how much you care for them. Fight the power my brother!

Slick silver

I've always wanted to ask this question. In the right to work states, does ups drivers still have to pay the union to represent them, compared to the other states

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've always wanted to ask this question. In the right to work states, does ups drivers still have to pay the union to represent them, compared to the other states

Sent using BrownCafe App

In RTW states employees have the option of joining the union. The union does not have the option of picking and choosing who they represent.

bbsam

Staff member
Someone is always wanting someone else to stick their neck out so that they might eventually have it better even though it causes someone else to lose their job. The only way anything will truly happen is if EVERYONE participates such as in a national sit-in for a day. The embarrassment it would cause FedEx, not to mention the anger the customers would have, might improve things. But since couriers are divided it won't happen. By the way bbsam, you still have the power to greatly improve your drivers' lives by taking a bit less for yourself and paying them more. Talk is cheap, show how much you care for them. Fight the power my brother!
well van, my brother, you're no longer with Express. Why don't you show me how it's done in Ground? My drivers aren't unhappy but I'm willing to believe some could do it better. As you said, though, talk is cheap. Buying your Ground routes won't be but of you'd like, I could get the name of a lender a lot of startups use. Oh, I know. Ground is beneath you. Yeah. More cheap talk.

vantexan

well van, my brother, you're no longer with Express. Why don't you show me how it's done in Ground? My drivers aren't unhappy but I'm willing to believe some could do it better. As you said, though, talk is cheap. Buying your Ground routes won't be but of you'd like, I could get the name of a lender a lot of startups use. Oh, I know. Ground is beneath you. Yeah. More cheap talk.
Why would I want to invest my hard earned money at Ground? You're standing up for the little guy, right? Prove it by giving each of them an extra $5k a year. Or do you think they'd be happier without the extra pay?

bbsam

Staff member
Why would I want to invest my hard earned money at Ground? You're standing up for the little guy, right? Prove it by giving each of them an extra $5k a year. Or do you think they'd be happier without the extra pay?
Show me you know what you're talking about. If I have 10 drivers and I gave them each an extra 5 grand, how much would it cost me?

vantexan

Depends. Do drivers want newer trucks all the time?
Come on, a ballpark will do. I do know if you gave a driver an extra $5k your costs would be more due to extra matching Social Security. But new trucks aren't bought "all the time" but are built in costs of your line of work which you plan for and set aside funds for. I'm also guessing you didn't start with 10 drivers but have built up to that point, assuming you actually have 10 drivers. So your income, and costs, have increased with new rts. Assuming you're a competant mgr who shows a year over year increase on your investment, again, ballpark, what's your annual net income?

bbsam

Staff member
C'mon van. You know I'm not putting that out on the net. You caught the Social Security. What about the increase on Work/comp insurance? Any idea what that would be?

vantexan

In what world is that any of your business?

Sent using BrownCafe App
He's claimed in the past he's making a "crapload" of money. He also has talked of buying expensive cars, etc. If he truly cares about the little guy, he should start by helping those who make it happen for him. If he wants me to demonstrate I know anything at all then he should give me a number to work with. I think all of us would be interested in just how much contractors are making in a system that pays as little as possible with few if any benefits. Are they representatives of their employees to FedEx, or reps of FedEx to their employees?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have had this discussion before. If bbsam is able to find qualified drivers willing to work for $15/hr why in the world would he give them $20?

Sent using BrownCafe App