LAST DAY!!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Well....I'm now officially an ex-UPS'er. My boss promised me a positive rehire status, which was a semi-surprise. I told him I just couldn't handle two jobs AND being a full-time graduate student. Given a choice, I chose the schooling. He gave me a big smile and said, "GOOD! Stay in school!"

As I mentioned in my original thread, I received calls from two organizations interested in interviewing me for positions. Both interviews were this morning. My fingers are crossed. I can use all the good thoughts and prayers I can get. This afternoon, I finished my last load but it had a lot opens and irregs in it. My sorter was dropped down to help me and while I was waiting for the sorter to arrive, my phone went off. It was a call from ANOTHER place I'd applied to. The guy told me my qualifications were solid but he had a problem: his accreditation was dependent on having a person WITH a Masters in the position. However, he said, "I see you're done in June '08. Keep in touch. You've got the qualifications we're looking for. I think I'll have a position opening up around that time."

I bid ADIEU to UPS. Its been a privilege I wouldn't trade for the world but its time to move on. Wait....I hear the page for my 'flight.' Destination: the horizon. Gotta go! LOL. -Rocky

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Best of Luck Rocky and keep in touch. God Bless you in what you do, use that degree, Stay safe and well. :thumbup1:

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Nothing but good vibes coming your way Rocky!

I hope you find the position that makes you happy. Hopefully nothing that involves physical labor. Congrats to you.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Congratulations, man! :cool: <- Sunglasses for your bright future.
(don't forget to take a withdrawal card from the union)

Homoudont

Congrats and the rehire status is good.. You never know when u may need a part time job again. I quit in 1997 with a good rehire status.. and now 10 years later after I got my college degree... it turns out I needed a part time job... So you never know what the the future may bring and its always good to leave on good terms.

Good Luck in your next career path.

raceanoncr

I think you're a traitor! You have no business even posting this! Leaving the Big Brown, for what YOU think are better pastures? HAH!

Just kiddin, boy! Good luck. Wish you success.
RACE

speedbug

Rocky,
Good luck, I was in college in 1986 when I went fulltime. I had 1 1/2 yrs of school left and thought I would only do this for a couple of yrs and then go back to school. That was 21 yrs ago. I wish I would have stayed and finished. You are taking the right step definitley the smartest choice. GOOD LUCK and keep checking in with us. Let us know how you end up.
Speedbug

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Rocky!!! Don't forget about us, this is a good place to visit when you're supposed to be doing your homework :)

:scooter:

Good luck with your graduate studies and whatever the future brings you.

brazenbrown

Rocky,

Just because you're leaving UPS doesn't mean you have to leave the Browncafe.

Good choice and good luck with your future!:thumbup1:

trickpony1

Rocky-
How much vacation and sick time are you throwing away by not waiting until after the first of the year to quit?
This time could convert to money if you cash it in after the first of the year.

I'm sure you've researched this issue.....I just thought I would ask.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Rocky-
How much vacation and sick time are you throwing away by not waiting until after the first of the year to quit?

I'm sure you've researched this issue.....I just thought I would ask

No, I haven't researched it but its a dead issue, my friend. I was hired on January 28, 2007, to work inside. If I didn't leave now, I'd be leaving the weekend just prior to Christmas (December 21st at the LATEST). UPS was just not worth it anymore. Ya know what happened just today (Saturday)? I was attending my weekly religious service and stood at the rear, yielding my seat to an elderly couple. A few minutes before the end of the service, a song was coming to and end. An usher was walking by me at the time I yawned, covering my mouth. The guy stopped, looked at me and said, "You look pretty beat!" I gave him a weary smile and said, "You have no idea how true that is, friend." I think I would have fallen apart in the next week or two if I'd kept working for UPS. Is a nervous breakdown worth the $10/hr I was making? I said, "H*ll no!" -Rocky

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Rocky-

I'm sure you've researched this issue.....I just thought I would ask.
Had he been granted his Educational Transfer it would have added up nicely.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Had he been granted his Educational Transfer it would have added up nicely.

Too true. And if my educational transfer would have been approved, I'd probably have long ago drank the 'poisoned kool-aid' that is management now. As it is.....I'm free to move on when I feel like. THIS FEELS GOOD, TOO!!!! -Rocky

mikeb

tnbrown
Good luck to u Rocky. Just remember when you are waiting tables with that masters degree u could have been driving for brown making $65,000+!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Good luck to u Rocky. Just remember when you are waiting tables with that masters degree u could have been driving for brown making $65,000+!

Uhhhh..THAT'S not happening!!!!! The horizon looks pretty d*mn good right now. If it didn't, I'd be OK with that. Do you know why, sir? I took a RISK and, despite that RISK being a failure, I'm a better person for taking that RISK. The $$ ain't everything, friend. -Rocky

toeknee2gx

Uhhhh..THAT'S not happening!!!!! The horizon looks pretty d*mn good right now. If it didn't, I'd be OK with that. Do you know why, sir? I took a RISK and, despite that RISK being a failure, I'm a better person for taking that RISK. The $$ ain't everything, friend. -Rocky

:thumbup1::thumbup1: entrepreneurial attitude...Some people settle for the safety of a job, some settle for a career, others like to take risks and go for it all....Rocky my friend, never got to meet you in person but I like your attitude...There is no wrong decision...DO what makes you happy...Good luck!!