Latest Amazon news - Wilmington, Ohio

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Apparently they cut 15 routes out and laid people off in West Carrolton because of Amazon taking their business elsewhere. This area is gonna get hit hard.

You got your information wrong.

West Carrollton, OH did have a night sort for Amazon last year. The Amazon volume they sorted was strickly returns to Amazon.

Yes, they get that many returns.

Anyway, the Amazon volume was not lost, it was moved to Lexington, KY. Lexington now has that sort.

I haven't been to West Carrollton in a while, so I am not sure how many they laid off, but it was probably around 10-15. But these were the new drivers that they had just hired for the Amazon sort.

And a side note. Do you really believe that all these returns will be carried by these planes that Amazon is proposing to lease?

No. Lexington will still have that sort processing all the returns.

Last edited:

ITwannabe

You got your information wrong.

West Carrollton, OH did have a night sort for Amazon last year. The Amazon volume they sorted was strickly returns to Amazon.

Yes, they get that many returns.

Anyway, the Amazon volume was not lost, it was moved to Lexington, KY. Lexington now has that sort.

I haven't been to West Carrollton in a while, so I am not sure how many they laid off, but it was probably around 10-15. But these were the new drivers that they had just hired for the Amazon sort.

And a side note. Do you really believe that all these returns will be carried by these planes that Amazon is proposing to lease?

No. Lexington will still have that sort processing all the returns.
New or old getting laid off isn't any fun. And who knows how long they will be laid off.

Fragile

Amazon volume is down and it will cause lay offs.

The teamster will never organize Amazon, nor will any other union.

Welcome to the new America. It sucks

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
New or old getting laid off isn't any fun. And who knows how long they will be laid off.

Getting laid off is not fun. The point is that you said they got laid off because of Amazon taking their business somewhere else. That is incorrect.

They got laid off because UPS moved the Amazon sort to Lexington.

UPS put that sort in, hired feeder drivers, then moved the sort to Lexington 6 months later and laid off those feeder drivers.

This was all on UPS, not Amazon.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Right now we have at least 2 more routes per day compared to last year and its because of amazon. We are a smaller center of 27 drivers so 2 routes makes a difference. Without amazon I would be laid off most of the year lol.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
yes---------well maybe my mother-in-law hasn't bought from them yet but she has probably tried with her flip phone.
The older generation was a little slow to understand the online shopping craze but now they are some of Amazon biggest customers and trust their brand..

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Let's look at this whole Amazon delivery BS this way:

Do you think Amazon is going to get good drivers on our level to go do 150-300 stops a day delivering all their oversized stuff in bad weather/heat/humidity/snow at 20-40 stops an hour and pay poverty wages as independent BS contractors and still have a high level of service and decent costs and people still get their packages????

No????

Exactly. Amazon is becoming the Wal-mart of online retailers in terms of quality. That is their downfall.

Browndriver5

Let's look at this whole Amazon delivery BS this way:

Do you think Amazon is going to get good drivers on our level to go do 150-300 stops a day delivering all their oversized stuff in bad weather/heat/humidity/snow at 20-40 stops an hour and pay poverty wages as independent BS contractors and still have a high level of service and decent costs and people still get their packages????

No????

Exactly. Amazon is becoming the Wal-mart of online retailers in terms of quality. That is their downfall.

I agree but Fed Ex uses the contractor model and they are growing much faster than we are. Our center manager told me they undercut UPS 10-15%. I just think there will be changes made in the next contract to make us more competitive with our rates

Faceplanted

Just like I have been saying

Also like I have been saying, Amazon is the main reason the usps awarded that huge contract for bigger mail delivery vehicles, it's for Amazon.

I could care less about how their "delivery guys or vehicles look". If I need something within the day or by the next day and it's at my door. I'm happy

In all honesty this is playing out bad for us come next contract.... Even though ups is making record profits every quarter, this will be an excuse for more concessions. Everybody will agree with ups and take the concessions happily.

Keep nay saying guys

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I agree but Fed Ex uses the contractor model and they are growing much faster than we are. Our center manager told me they undercut UPS 10-15%. I just think there will be changes made in the next contract to make us more competitive with our rates
They can only cut so much before they lose money more than they can. I heard they are moving some ground/HD volume through their express network to make time in transit look better. You can only do that for so long. Ask DHL

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Just like I have been saying

Also like I have been saying, Amazon is the main reason the usps awarded that huge contract for bigger mail delivery vehicles, it's for Amazon.

I could care less about how their "delivery guys or vehicles look". If I need something within the day or by the next day and it's at my door. I'm happy

In all honesty this is playing out bad for us come next contract.... Even though ups is making record profits every quarter, this will be an excuse for more concessions. Everybody will agree with ups and take the concessions happily.

Keep nay saying guys
The problem is Amazon isn't doing that great on speedy processing and delivery like they used to. And their delivery contractors usually can't find the right addresses. Their quality in their execution is failing. Like with Wal-mart and their recent problems in their stores. When you cut costs to nothing and pay cheaply, this happens.

This is where ups actually can benefit. They're not a big part of our revenue or volume when you look at ups volume as a whole.

As far as the USPS, Amazon is pushing for them to be privatized and broken up too so it can buy it.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
As far as the contract, ups is projected to make 5 billion plus in profits in 2016. I don't think they'll get away with concessions. But anything is possible. It all depends on how the union and us employees together approach those negotiations.