Lawmakers end Social Security loophole

Ms.PacMan

Most is a strong word.
You're right but the answer will still surprise you. Only 10% are childhood disabilities (half mental retardation, the other half various afflictions). Nearly 90% are disabled workers with the majority, 70%, aged 50-64.

There are deadbeats for sure but they are not the majority.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most people on SSDI are probably truly disabled, like from childhood.

You're right but the answer will still surprise you. Only 10% are childhood disabilities (half mental retardation, the other half various afflictions). Nearly 90% are disabled workers with the majority, 70%, aged 50-64.

There are deadbeats for sure but they are not the majority.

These two posts contradict one another.

Ms.PacMan

These two posts contradict one another.
That's why I said "you're right" because I realized I was wrong after I looked it up.

Your other comment was that you thought file and suspend wasn't for single ppl. Too tired to look it up but off the top of my head the file and suspend was originally drafted just for singles (they may be married - but single meaning collecting their own SS) so that a person could work beyond FRA. Before, FRA meant you were getting a SS check in the mail like it not.

This change had a couple unintended consequences or loopholes as a result. One, a married couple could file for spousal benefits w/o the other person collecting SS. Two, older men who married young women (usually foreign) were able to get spousal and dependant SS, if they had children, without starting their own benefits-------->this is such a big problem in Australia that they've quit issuing visas for foreign brides from 3rd world countries and lastly ppl like me wanted to use file and suspend in the event of a catastrophic illness (I could have filed and suspended but if I needed the money before 70 the SSA would pay you the amount of the suspension in one lump sum).

twoweeled

If they want to close a social security loophole they should lift the cap. That would fund disability recipients for a lot longer than 2022 in fact it would pretty much solve all SS's funding issues for the foreseeable future.
If congress were to lift the cap, congress would be paying longer, for SS taxes. Don't hold your breath for that one Mr Jones.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
New loop hole to beat the file and suspend loss. Divorce your spouse ( if you have been married for 10 or more years) Have them claim spousal benefits, then live in sin (catholic vernacular) and work until 70 for maximum benefits. Take that congress.

twoweeled

New loop hole to beat the file and suspend loss. Divorce your spouse ( if you have been married for 10 or more years) Have them claim spousal benefits, then live in sin (catholic vernacular) and work until 70 for maximum benefits. Take that congress.
Okay, Stewie. I'm sure I can get my wife to divorce me. We've been together for over 10 years. I have no doubt she'd be willing to claim spousal benefits. Buuuut,,,,,, I don't think either one of us is willing to work till 70!!
images

Screwed by congress,,,,again!

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
This was their work around to fund SSDI which runs out of money in 2016. The money saved from closing the loophole will fund disability recipients until 2022.
Well if congress would stop taking money out of SS and giving it to SS disability, maybe SS wouldn't be going broke in 2016.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
is that actually possible. if so then we are doing that. good catch!!!