Laziness? Unfamiliar? Or am I an butthole?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Hey guys and gals!
Been lurking on Browncafe for a while but this is my first post.
Let me start by saying that I'm still relatively new to UPS (6 months) and work the preload shift. I can honestly say that I love my job and most of the people I work with. I'm in my 20s, have a wife and child in school. I more or less started to work at UPS to help get in shape and make some extra pocket change (recently went through a MAJOR career shift and focus is now on my wife's endevours).
As far as I can tell, especially reading on how other hubs operate, I can tell that our hub is pretty cool. Our Supervisors are awesome, upper managemt is legit (although I know our SUPs catch the stank), union stewards are good, the shift always seems to run smooth, and most of us have a good time while we do it. Safety is encouraged everyday.
Now for the not so good...
This is my first Union job. I was origionally born and raised in a Union city and my Grandpa was a HUGE UAW member/supporter. I can understand and completely respect what Unions have done for America. Please don't get me wrong or think I'm a union hater.
So...with that said, I'll cut to the chase.
In my hub, which like I said, is really lax compared to most (from what I've read about on here), the only people that seem to be causing issues and problems are the super gung-ho union members.
I keep being told by a select few to "stop working so hard, you don't get paid by the package", "better find a buddy to put that bulk up, it'll probably take more time", "just leave it"...all sorts of stuff. I shrug it off and chug on but I'm wondering if this is the same everywhere.
I understand plateauing or getting burned out on a job but it seems that these folks are intentionally being :censored2:s just to be :censored2:s. My biggest fear is that this ISN'T what my Grandpa would imagine.
Which brings me to my most important question...
Am I an :censored2: for thinking this way?
(Seriously)

You're being given good advice by people who have been doing your job for a lot longer than you have.

I started working at UPS when I was 17 and wish I had received more senior folks telling me to work smarter. We have contractual rules regarding help with over 70's and language related to "a fair day's work for a fair day's pay" because working at UPS is a tough job.

It's one thing to go into a truck and bust your nuts a few times. Doing it day in and day out for years will absolutely ruin your body -- you have a decent chance of wrecking your body even if you're doing everything by the methods and work safely.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You're being given good advice by people who have been doing your job for a lot longer than you have.

I started working at UPS when I was 17 and wish I had received more senior folks telling me to work smarter. We have contractual rules regarding help with over 70's and language related to "a fair day's work for a fair day's pay" because working at UPS is a tough job.

It's one thing to go into a truck and bust your nuts a few times. Doing it day in and day out for years will absolutely ruin your body -- you have a decent chance of wrecking your body even if you're doing everything by the methods and work safely.
And it's bulls hi it that the union hasn't stepped up on a national level and demanded ups' ohsa accident and injury reports to actually show that people's bodies can't take this kind of abuse for years on end....the union has tried to get the reports but ups has been fighting it...lol I wonder why....it can be done but not at the speed that they want you to do this kind of job in...and the company knows it. The union could totally make an issue of it and we could see some kinds of changes but not with the current leadership...pretty bogus.

atronatomic

I appreceiate the response and advise. I do work smart, follow the 8 steps, 5 keys and have no issue asking for help when need be. I was also recently asked to be our "safety mentor" for all the new hires. Hopefully I'm doing something right.
My problem is that Im not being told to "work safe" by these people, I'm being told to leave my work ethic at the door because "UPS doesn't deserve your sweat", yes, a direct quote from one of the people I'm talking about. I find myself more and more avoiding these folks on a daily basis, which is becoming uncomfortable.
I don't think they understand that they're making our union look terrible. Is it like this in every hub? (I don't mean the legit safety/union issues, just the INTENSE saltiness twords corporate UPS)

Bren_dan

I think Unions do somewhat promote mediocrity, or at the least, support it. But most people don't make it past the first month here if they're not a hard worker. I think the fact that UPS doesn't really reward hard word, or appreciate it is what rubs it's employees the wrong way. The harder you work, the more work you get. That's where the intense saltiness stems from.

atronatomic

I hear ya to a certain extent. BUT isn't free health insurance for one AND their family kind of a reward? Or help with college funding? Correct me if I'm wrong (seriously), but I've heard that management can't give you a raise even if they wanted to because of "the contract". I wish more around here was based off of work ethic rather than seniority.
What would you like to see us rewarded with? What would be fair for both us and "them"?

rod

Retired 22 years
I hear ya to a certain extent. BUT isn't free health insurance for one AND their family kind of a reward? Or help with college funding? Correct me if I'm wrong (seriously), but I've heard that management can't give you a raise even if they wanted to because of "the contract". I wish more around here was based off of work ethic rather than seniority.
What would you like to see us rewarded with? What would be fair for both us and "them"?

In a perfect world maybe but not at UPS. If pay was determined by work ethic it would be total chaos. The number of serious accidents would skyrocket, work place violence would be astronomical, working off the clock would be the norm and there would be even more butt kissing between hourly and management than even goes on now. The seniority system has its flaws but as far as UPS goes its the ONLY system that makes sense.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I appreceiate the response and advise. I do work smart, follow the 8 steps, 5 keys and have no issue asking for help when need be. I was also recently asked to be our "safety mentor" for all the new hires. Hopefully I'm doing something right.
My problem is that Im not being told to "work safe" by these people, I'm being told to leave my work ethic at the door because "UPS doesn't deserve your sweat", yes, a direct quote from one of the people I'm talking about. I find myself more and more avoiding these folks on a daily basis, which is becoming uncomfortable.
I don't think they understand that they're making our union look terrible. Is it like this in every hub? (I don't mean the legit safety/union issues, just the INTENSE saltiness twords corporate UPS)
Its pretty much the norm, Over time I've found most stewards are only in it to make greivence money

atronatomic

In a perfect world maybe but not at UPS. If pay was determined by work ethic it would be total chaos. The number of serious accidents would skyrocket, work place violence would be astronomical, working off the clock would be the norm and there would be even more butt kissing between hourly and management than even goes on now. The seniority system has its flaws but as far as UPS goes its the ONLY system that makes sense.

Lots of good points ya made, Rob.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And it's bulls hi it that the union hasn't stepped up on a national level and demanded ups' ohsa accident and injury reports to actually show that people's bodies can't take this kind of abuse for years on end.....it can be done but not at the speed that they want you to do this kind of job in...and the company knows it.
UPS's position has always been that no one Union part-timer performing package handler work should be employed at UPS for more than 4 years.
That's why UPS always tries to hire college students.
It is the Union that wants P/T to work longer than 4 years.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1433526162.190990.jpg

How about this for a reward. Sorry but your reward is a paycheck on Friday