Laziness? Unfamiliar? Or am I an butthole?

Dr.Brownz

That's awesome, sounds like you're a real "go getter" with all that reading. :p
Yes, I've read through some of the contract but don't have it memorized. I haven't had any issues yet where I've needed to complain and go running to the contract for help.
Yes, I know I can "demand help with over 70s" (most days I'm a bulk runner) but don't really need help with a 90lb package haha. If I asked for help with every over 70, bulk would be sitting around until 10:30am everyday.

Lol go ahead and destroy your body for a company that will discard you like a soiled diaper when they are done with you; keep patting yourself on the back for all those over 70s your lifting alone;its clear you believe you are exceptional so you keep doing that

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
That's awesome, sounds like you're a real "go getter" with all that reading. :p
Yes, I've read through some of the contract but don't have it memorized. I haven't had any issues yet where I've needed to complain and go running to the contract for help.
Yes, I know I can "demand help with over 70s" (most days I'm a bulk runner) but don't really need help with a 90lb package haha. If I asked for help with every over 70, bulk would be sitting around until 10:30am everyday.

All you can do is go in and do your job to your standards. Don't worry about the union people that have been their forever. Trust me most don't care about you anyway. They wouldn't care if you got fired, hurt or anything. I know a lot of them would say different but it isn't true. I suggest making friends with people you think have a good work ethic and have the same standards has you. I have been in the union for 13 years and I go in make my money and leave. I don't want to deal with the union people or management. Most of the time both leave me alone and that is the way I like it.

Dr.Brownz

Tbmert's awds like you're a real "go getter" with all that reading. :p

How do you know what your guaranteed through the contract? How do you know they arent denying you pay or other benefits enumerated in the contract??

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I'm fine, thanks for the concern though.
I have a sneaking suspicion that you would be one of the people I'd be trying to avoid.

The best advice I can give you is to find some hot female driver and wine and dine her at a local Dairy Queen. Then it will be clear that you are soulmates and were meant to be together. Come back here and you'll get further instructions.

Dr.Brownz

I'm fine, thanks for the concern though.
I have a sneaking suspicion that you would be one of the people I'd be trying to avoid.

Lol so if they send you home with an hour of pay everyday youre fine with that?

What about pay your part time rate for delivering ground? Fine with that right? I mean you dont need the contract so it doesnt matter what they decide to pay you

atronatomic

Lol so if they send you home with an hour of pay everyday youre fine with that?

What about pay your part time rate for delivering ground? Fine with that right? I mean you dont need the contract so it doesnt matter what they decide to pay you
I don't deliver, I work preload and have never been sent home or called off. I check my stub every week and haven't been screwed (yet). I also live in a "right to work" state but still choose to pay in because I believe in what the Union stands for. My problem is with the people that abuse it and give it a bad name/image.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
[QUOTE="atronatomic, I believe in what the Union stands for. My problem is with the people that abuse it and give it a bad name/image.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to hear first hand what you believe the union stands for..

union4life

atronatomic,

I applaud your choice to be a dues paying member. I'm sure your grandfather is proud.

It's great to see you trying to understand the viewpoint of the other gung-ho employees. You haven't seen what they have at UPS so it will be difficult if not impossible to realize just where they are coming from.

Yes, you can work hard and quick and still be safe. However, the nature of this job (whether it be preload or any other) will eventually lead to some sort of recordable incident.

When that day comes (and it will) will you do the right thing and file a report? Will you try to work with management and save them from having to file a report and document what has happened? I believe your co-workers are simply trying to help you understand that UPS will try very hard to avoid doing right by the employee.

I learned a long time ago that you can't go wrong by doing right.
Do your job to the letter. Follow the methods (they are not designed for speed). When you do everything right and something goes wrong, you will have the Union Contract to help you keep the job you like and the benefits you enjoy for you and your family.

Try to remember that you didn't earn the pay and benefits you enjoy, you are simply carrying forward and building on what others before you have struggled to maintain.

Some people say entitlements. I just hope that you and others understand that everything in our contract is negotiated. Remember that. We gave up something to have the over 70 language, 10 minute break language, clean bathrooms, etc.....

You said if you asked for help on all the +70 packages it would take a lot longer. You are correct. That is not your concern. That is managements concern. The company understands it will take longer and has agreed to provide help. When the company negotiates with the Union, they agree that the company can remain profitable and functionally efficient with these negotiated stipulations.

After 20+ years, I have watched the company profits explode while I watch as your benefits and those that come after you get worse. Yes, people doing your job 20 years ago had it better.

Don't circumvent the system. UPS only listens to what is on paper. Document everything. If it's broke, don't use it. If it is damaged, don't load it. If it is time for break, say so. Most important, get involved. Don't just bury your head.

I hope you help bring our Union to the next level.

atronatomic

atronatomic,

I applaud your choice to be a dues paying member. I'm sure your grandfather is proud.

It's great to see you trying to understand the viewpoint of the other gung-ho employees. You haven't seen what they have at UPS so it will be difficult if not impossible to realize just where they are coming from.

Yes, you can work hard and quick and still be safe. However, the nature of this job (whether it be preload or any other) will eventually lead to some sort of recordable incident.

When that day comes (and it will) will you do the right thing and file a report? Will you try to work with management and save them from having to file a report and document what has happened? I believe your co-workers are simply trying to help you understand that UPS will try very hard to avoid doing right by the employee.

Do your job to the letter. Follow the methods (they are not designed for speed). When you do everything right and something goes wrong, you will have the Union Contract to help you keep the job you like and the benefits you enjoy for you and your family.

Try to remember that you didn't earn the pay and benefits you enjoy, you are simply carrying forward and building on what others before you have struggled to maintain.

Some people say entitlements. I just hope that you and others understand that everything in our contract is negotiated. Remember that. We gave up something to have the over 70 language, 10 minute break language, clean bathrooms, etc.....

You said if you asked for help on all the +70 packages it would take a lot longer. You are correct. That is not your concern. That is managements concern. The company understands it will take longer and has agreed to provide help. When the company negotiates with the Union, they agree that the company can remain profitable and functionally efficient with these negotiated stipulations.

After 20+ years, I have watched the company profits explode while I watch as your benefits and those that come after you get worse. Yes, people doing your job 20 years ago had it better.

Don't circumvent the system. UPS only listens to what is on paper. Document everything. If it's broke, don't use it. If it is damaged, don't load it. If it is time for break, say so. Most important, get involved. Don't just bury your head.

This is awesome. Thank you for taking the time to write this. I understand I'm still new and don't know all the ins and outs but stuff like this truly helps put things into perspective for me. [emoji4] thanks again!

rod

Retired 22 years
atronatomic,

This should be posted on every Union bulletin board at every center.

Dr.Brownz

I don't deliver, I work preload and have never been sent home or called off. I check my stub every week and haven't been screwed (yet). I also live in a "right to work" state but still choose to pay in because I believe in what the Union stands for. My problem is with the people that abuse it and give it a bad name/image.

Yeah I was part time also, and then they wanted me to start delivering some things because we were short drivers and then after that del work the local sort. Now what is the correct wage for me when I go back to the local sort after dels? You wouldn't know unless you read the contract.

Or how about this scenario: You misload a few packages one day because you were rushing to get done (probably had to make up for all those over 70's you had help with right!? LOL) and the next day they say you get a 1 day suspension for the misloads. You protest and your sup says they are making it a 3 day suspension now. Can they do that?

atronatomic

Yeah I was part time also, and then they wanted me to start delivering some things because we were short drivers and then after that del work the local sort. Now what is the correct wage for me when I go back to the local sort after dels? You wouldn't know unless you read the contract.

Or how about this scenario: You misload a few packages one day because you were rushing to get done (probably had to make up for all those over 70's you had help with right!? LOL) and the next day they say you get a 1 day suspension for the misloads. You protest and your sup says they are making it a 3 day suspension now. Can they do that?
No offense, but I don't care what you get paid and your situation doesn't involve me what so ever.
I don't load package cars. Not my thing, they can keep their extra $1 an hour for all that poo-poo haha.
I understand and respect what you're TRYING to say though. Learn the contract to support yourself and your brothers and sisters.

Here's a scenario for you, happened a few hweeks ago...
I walk out of the bathroom and turn the light off (big sign saying "please turn lights off when done"). As I walk out, Mr. Gung-ho is walking in and says "fugg' em, do you pay the bills? Keep that shizz on and if they see you do it, tell em you forgot". Later that day I was invited by the same guy to some local Union meeting. I'd love to get involved but not with people like that.
I think you're getting me wrong Dr., MY PROBLEM ISNT THE UNION OR THE CONTRACT, ITS WITH "BUTTHOLES" LIKE THIS THAT CAUSE BIG, UNNEEDED PROBLEMS BETWEEN MANAGEMENT AND US. IT MAKES MOST NEW PEOPLE FEEL AKWARD AND TURNS THEM OFF TO THE UNION. IN "RIGHT TO WORK" STATES ESPECIALLY, THIS WILL DESTROY WHAT OTHERS HAVE WORKED HARD TO BUILD.

Dr.Brownz

No offense, but I don't care what you get paid and your situation doesn't involve me what so ever.
I don't load package cars. Not my thing, they can keep their extra $1 an hour for all that poo-poo haha.
I understand and respect what you're TRYING to say though. Learn the contract to support yourself and your brothers and sisters.

I walk out of the bathroom and turn the light off (big sign saying "please turn lights off when done"). As I walk out, Mr. Gung-ho is walking in and says "fugg' em, do you pay the bills? Keep that shizz on and if they see you do it, tell em you forgot". Later that day I was invited by the same guy to some local Union meeting. I'd love to get involved but not with people like that.
I think you're getting me wrong Dr., MY PROBLEM ISNT THE UNION OR THE CONTRACT, ITS WITH "BUTTHOLES" LIKE THIS THAT CAUSE BIG, UNNEEDED PROBLEMS BETWEEN MANAGEMENT AND US. IT MAKES MOST NEW PEOPLE FEEL AKWARD AND TURNS THEM OFF TO THE UNION. IN "RIGHT TO WORK" STATES ESPECIALLY, THIS WILL DESTROY WHAT OTHERS HAVE WORKED HARD TO BUILD.

Lol akward? Are you 14? The lights in the bathroom have nothing to do with the contract; the lights in our bathroom stay on all day I dont have.to touch the filthy light switch that probably has trace amounts or more feces on it

All of you right to work scum turn to the union the moment the company starts :censored2:ing with you

union4life

Situations certainly have a way of eroding and damaging relationships if you allow them to.

However, if you understand the dynamic that is Unionism, you will look past the imperfections of your brothers/sisters and be there supporting them, backing them up, and if need be, leading the charge.

I don't know if you come from s big family or if you are a single child, but maybe if you think of the way you would handle a situation with your family and substitute you new union family in their place, you might see them in a different light. Maybe?

I can squabble with my family (brothers and sisters) all I want. I have been in a couple of knock down drag outs with them. Don't think for a second I will stand by let an outsider threaten, mistreat, or abuse any of my family without me or any of my family getting involved. It just isn't going to happen.

I didn't get to chose my family but I love them none the less. I didn't get to chose my Union brothers and sisters but you better not cross them because you will have to deal with the rest of us.

Not every situation can be handle diplomatically. Some require finesse, some assertiveness, and other need a heavy hammer. Sounds like you have some heavy hammers around there. One day you'll be glad they are there and if you are there smooth voice of reason, they will be glad you are there for them.

Dr.Brownz

The things you mention have little to do with the union it seems. :censored2: ups anyway man, your hard work is rewarded with more work. Our newest drivers are just figuring that out, I laugh at them doing 160 stops and THEN coming and helping me out, when I have done 110 - 120 LOL. Not gonna run or break the methods to look good on a report. ITs all about safety ,mu:censored2:a

atronatomic

Lol akward? Are you 14? The lights in the bathroom have nothing to do with the contract; the lights in our bathroom stay on all day I dont have.to touch the filthy light switch that probably has trace amounts or more feces on it

All of you right to work scum turn to the union the moment the company starts :censored2:ing with you
I'm just going to ignore your first statement haha. Sounds like you sat on an over 70 and its wedged somewhere uncomfortable [emoji6]
How am I scum? I have the option to pay in or not...I choose to pay in because I support the union and realize its importance for myself and others. So I'm scum just because I live in a "right to work" state? You need to chill out and visit a proctologist to help with that over 70 there guy...

atronatomic

The things you mention have little to do with the union it seems. :censored2: ups anyway man, your hard work is rewarded with more work. Our newest drivers are just figuring that out, I laugh at them doing 160 stops and THEN coming and helping me out, when I have done 110 - 120 LOL. Not gonna run or break the methods to look good on a report. ITs all about safety ,mu:censored2:a
I hear ya man, I hope this is more or less friendly banter between us. I know you drivers are over worked, I don't load but when delivering bulk, I'll help load the super heavies into the truck and my jaw drops at how jam packed those package cars get. I know some drivers who say that the only family time they get during the week is on skype or FaceTime with their families...I can only imagine the frustration that comes with that.
Essentially, we're all on the same team, I'm just trying to gain a better understanding of the dynamic between unionists and management.