Lazy Coworkers and the upcoming peak season

BigBeef42

I blew my back out twice trying to be the superman. Busy loading 5 trailers a night, i had no time to look around and see the lazness everywhere.

Fastforward, it takes 2-3 people to do the job i used to do. Im not proud of it, my spine is facked for life bro.

Slow down!

Less Runnin, More Stunnin

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I blew my back out twice trying to be the superman. Busy loading 5 trailers a night, i had no time to look around and see the lazness everywhere.

Fastforward, it takes 2-3 people to do the job i used to do. Im not proud of it, my spine is facked for life bro.

Slow down!

It's a marathon, not a sprint....injuries happen enough even when you're not tryin to be a hero. ;)

Beer_me

OP I'm on the same boat as you. It's frustrating as hell to have coworkers with a horrible work ethic(it always seems to be the ones who have a parent in the company too). I'd say, just work to the best of your ability, and don't play their game bro. The "Green Weenie" is now in browns ;)

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Had a fellow driver who had the area next to me when I was in package cars. Our cars were parked side by side as well. This guy whined every day. too much work...get off too late...cant get my next day airs off in time...waaaaahhhh. They got into the habit of pulling stuff off of him and giving it to me 3-4 times a week. When I'd get back to the building in the pm, there would be his PC, sitting in his spot. I'd go over and put my hand in front of the radiator and it would be ice cold. I put up with this crap for about a year, till one day it stopped. He got promoted. On road sup. Then a center manager inside of a year. Then they caught him fudging numbers and fired him. He came home one day from work when he was a driver and his house was empty. His wife left him and cleaned out the house. I have no use for slackers. Good karma.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
OP I'm on the same boat as you. It's frustrating as hell to have coworkers with a horrible work ethic(it always seems to be the ones who have a parent in the company too). I'd say, just work to the best of your ability, and don't play their game bro. The "Green Weenie" is now in browns ;)
Wah.

OPTION3

10635870_742014085859660_7043276243707985040_n.jpg

Babagounj

Strength through joy
op , I thank you for your military service .
Now in the ups world it SUCKS.
I face the same problems as you do , some are from lazy managers .
Always work as directed { WAD } , and do not get trapped into the head games , better yet find a way around their stupid head games .
Going one on one hardly ever works .
This work life is brutal combat , follow your military training .

BigBeef42

OP,

Their is a middle-ground. Slow down just enough to NOT be give their extra work, but go fast enough to feel ok about the work you do.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
OP,

Their is a middle-ground. Slow down just enough to NOT be give their extra work, but go fast enough to feel ok about the work you do.

Exactly.
You gotta find that sweet spot, it's different for everyone, but most of us find it eventually. I'd like to be able to pick up my grandkids when I retire. This job will break you if you try to be a hero.

llamainmypocket

I'm a marine corps vet and now work in the hub. I have a great work ethic and so does my friend who works with me. Guess who doesn't? 80% of the rest of my coworkers on the sort. Some will just stand there and let the belt get stacked and jam the unloaders belt until either our sup comes over there or he sends me or my friend over to basically do their work for them. When I go help them theyd rather watch me do it than do it themselves and they end up walking off doing only god knows what. I don't even understand how this even goes the way it goes and I can forsee me cussing these people when peak season comes around and I'm irritable.

Is there anyone I can talk to about these so called coworkers?

Laziness is a relative term and using it to describe 80% of your coworkers implies that you're so hard working relative to them. It's egotistical. Furthermore, abusing them in your head right here and indicating that you will be abusing them personally in the future is antisocial. Not giving reason for their lack of performace or simply assigning a subjective term such as lazy is rather thoughtless. I'd say its a dumb way to identify the problem.

The problem is most certainly you. You need to get off your pedestal and start being part of the group you think you're too good for. As someone with an adequate amount of leadership experience for this assertion, i can tell you I'd rather have an average employee than one that is super fast but will be abusive to the ten other people in their proximity.

Sorry if this pisses you off but you need to stop hating your coworkers. Its bad for you and them.

KzooUPSer

Once you go Brown...
Some will just stand there and let the belt get stacked and jam the unloaders belt until either our sup comes over there or he sends me or my friend over to basically do their work for them.

jams in the shoots are the supervisors' responsibility to clear. Sounds to me that your coworkers are more familiar with the way things go at a UPS hub than you.

I worked on a belt with a 25 ft shoot and it would get jammed quite often, and I usually would climb up and clear it, until I was warned that it wasn't my responsibility and if I should get hurt or something while doing something that was a management task I could be fired.

This has nothing to do with the hourly's work ethic, this is a challenge of the ethics of management, who you will more often find doing a job that isn't theirs by right of our union contract to do. In turn, they leave the union workers to do jobs that management should be doing.

UPS is a corporate machine, and they can and WILL work you until you've got nothing left to give. And when you've got nothing left to give, you'll get a pat on the back and be shown the door.

For that reason, you shouldn't volunteer yourself to do a job that isn't yours to do. If you're going to cuss anyone out, cuss out your belt sup who should be more attentive to what's happening on their belt, they're the one's not doing their job.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Laziness is a relative term and using it to describe 80% of your coworkers implies that you're so hard working relative to them. It's egotistical. Furthermore, abusing them in your head right here and indicating that you will be abusing them personally in the future is antisocial. Not giving reason for their lack of performace or simply assigning a subjective term such as lazy is rather thoughtless. I'd say its a dumb way to identify the problem.

The problem is most certainly you. You need to get off your pedestal and start being part of the group you think you're too good for. As someone with an adequate amount of leadership experience for this assertion, i can tell you I'd rather have an average employee than one that is super fast but will be abusive to the ten other people in their proximity.

Sorry if this pisses you off but you need to stop hating your coworkers. Its bad for you and them.
llamainmypocket,

Well said!

Sincerely,
I

UnconTROLLed

perfection
jams in the shoots are the supervisors' responsibility to clear. Sounds to me that your coworkers are more familiar with the way things go at a UPS hub than you.

I worked on a belt with a 25 ft shoot and it would get jammed quite often, and I usually would climb up and clear it, until I was warned that it wasn't my responsibility and if I should get hurt or something while doing something that was a management task I could be fired.

This has nothing to do with the hourly's work ethic, this is a challenge of the ethics of management, who you will more often find doing a job that isn't theirs by right of our union contract to do. In turn, they leave the union workers to do jobs that management should be doing.

UPS is a corporate machine, and they can and WILL work you until you've got nothing left to give. And when you've got nothing left to give, you'll get a pat on the back and be shown the door.

For that reason, you shouldn't volunteer yourself to do a job that isn't yours to do. If you're going to cuss anyone out, cuss out your belt sup who should be more attentive to what's happening on their belt, they're the one's not doing their job.
jam-breaking is union work, actually. it's forwarding the progress of packages.