Leaving company. 401k options?

Code43

Need some info on what happens to our 401k after employment with FedEx. Can I cash out? What kind on penalties do they hit you with? Im not really interested in rolling it over to another 401k at this point. Just want my money back.

jdlarch

By cashing out, you not only get taxed and penalized, but you also lose the earnings that money could have generated. You won't even get all of your money: FedEx is required to withhold 20 percent for the IRS. If you don't put the money in a qualified retirement account within 60 days, it's taxed as ordinary income. Add on a state income tax, if one applies to you. And if you are under age 59½, you'll incur a 10 percent early withdraw penalty to boot. Without storing it away until you are nearly 60, you basically end up with half or less than half of what you currently have in there.

By The Book

Need some info on what happens to our 401k after employment with FedEx. Can I cash out? What kind on penalties do they hit you with? Im not really interested in rolling it over to another 401k at this point. Just want my money back.
Have you been with fed x long? Try to look at this as money to help you offset costs of things like healthcare when you are close to 60. Roll it over and forget about it.

Code43

True. I'll look into rolling it over. Would of been nice to take the family on a weekend getaway. I may use some of my unused vacation time money for that.