Legal Matters

At time of hire (package handler) I had a misdemeanor retail theft (less than $10) on my record and pending charges of a felony possession with intent to distribute (2 pot brownies). The question posed on the application was "have you ever been convicted of a felony?" I answered, no. I recently took the plea, and was convicted. Should I tell HR? I may want to drive someday. I definitely want to keep working here. Sadly, this may not be my reality....

satellitedriver

At time of hire (package handler) I had a misdemeanor retail theft (less than $10) on my record and pending charges of a felony possession with intent to distribute (2 pot brownies). The question posed on the application was "have you ever been convicted of a felony?" I answered, no. I recently took the plea, and was convicted. Should I tell HR? I may want to drive someday. I definitely want to keep working here. Sadly, this may not be my reality....

You answered honestly at the time of the application, so let them find out the dirt.
Keep your mouth shut and learn from your mistakes.
We all have skeletons in the closet.
Don't rattle the bones.

DS

Fenderbender
We don't like you kind 'round here.:peaceful:
Pot brownies? say no to [-]drugs[/-] US laws.
OK so your best bet is to tell HR that you were busted for selling 2 pot brownies :batman2:?and take your chances.They like honesty.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is a tough one. If you decide to keep quiet on this chances are you will be just fine. If you decide to tell HR about this it could have an impact on your goal to become a driver.

As SD said, you answered the question truthfully on your application, so it may be best to keep this one to yourself.

bbsam

Staff member
Does UPS run another background check when moving from one position to another? If not, definitely I would keep quiet. If so, it's a toss up. I'd hate to have in the back of my mind the hope of being a driver for years on the dock only to have that killed years down the line.

over9five

Staff member
Does UPS run another background check when moving from one position to another? If not, definitely I would keep quiet. If so, it's a toss up. I'd hate to have in the back of my mind the hope of being a driver for years on the dock only to have that killed years down the line.

Good question, I don't know. If so, at that time he should be honest again.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

I don't believe they do, I think once you're in they don't look at anything (unless you receive a DUI, drug charge, or get arrested WHILE you are working there). If there is no reason for them to look, they won't. Only check they'll do before allowing you to become a driver is a driving record check

curiousbrain

I don't believe they do, I think once you're in they don't look at anything (unless you receive a DUI, drug charge, or get arrested WHILE you are working there). If there is no reason for them to look, they won't. Only check they'll do before allowing you to become a driver is a driving record check

Another background check is conducted when a person makes the initial move into management.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
As far as I know they do not do another backround check when going from part to full time. As for telling, I would not help UPS. If they want to know they can ask. They will do enough looking under the microscope at your every move do not help them. If they ask then be honest but don't go aout of your way!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure that when I went from loading to driving all they cared about was my driving record.

bluehdmc

They do check with Homeland security and fingerprint you for Airport ID's. Whether the convictions would be a problem I don't know, but I don't remember if they ask about felony convictions on that application.

Also a Hazardous Materials Endorsement on your driver's license requires a Homeland Security background check and fingerprinting. A lot of convictions for that have to be over 5 or 7 years old to qualify, although you don't really need the endorsement for UPS, as we don't carry enough quantities to be placarded.

Maybe you should look into getting the conviction expunged in a few years.

bbsam

Staff member
It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure that when I went from loading to driving all they cared about was my driving record.

I find that hard to believe only because it seems foolish on their part. It's one thing to have a part-timer walking in and out of secured facilities and completely different sending a driver out on the road with potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of freight. As grgrcr88 pointed out, they will look under a microscope for all kinds of reasons. It seems a no-brainer to me that they would run a background check.