Legal Matters

Does UPS run another background check when moving from one position to another? If not, definitely I would keep quiet. If so, it's a toss up. I'd hate to have in the back of my mind the hope of being a driver for years on the dock only to have that killed years down the line.
Exactly my mindset...
OP might want to check with a union steward on that. Or maybe 407 or JonFrum might know.
Is it risky to pose such a question to a steward (i might want to first start by meeting my steward and getting a union book)? 407? JonFrum?
I find that hard to believe only because it seems foolish on their part. It's one thing to have a part-timer walking in and out of secured facilities and completely different sending a driver out on the road with potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of freight. As grgrcr88 pointed out, they will look under a microscope for all kinds of reasons. It seems a no-brainer to me that they would run a background check.
Yeah this is why I am not so optimistic, but I figured I should investigate and not give up hope just yet.

As far as HR is concerned it definitely sounds like a good idea to keep my mouth shut on a "don't ask, don't tell" basis.

Do anyone think they run yearly background checks on all employees?

UPSGUY72

They asked you once and you anwsered it truthfully at that time. If they ask you again anwser it truthfully at that time. Don't volunteer any information unless is has to do with your drivers license and your job at UPS involves driving.

Don't talk to your steward better yet don't tell anyone in your building about it. Loose lips sink ships.

You answered honestly at the time of the application, so let them find out the dirt.
Keep your mouth shut and learn from your mistakes.
We all have skeletons in the closet.
Don't rattle the bones.
I believe, I learned. They arrested me 6 months after I made the sale to their confidential informant. At this point in my life I had stopped daily/weekly/monthly use, selling, and was content with life. I suppose bones have a way of finding their way out of the proverbial closet :/
Sixteen pounds
Sixteen pounds each :D

barnyard

KTM rider
Good question, I don't know. If so, at that time he should be honest again.

Yes, they do.

I had a background check when I went full time and another when I went to feeder school. We have a PT guy that is taking an air run to the airport. He has had 1 background check, but something happened to the paperwork and they will not let him drive until the 2nd one is complete. He has been waiting 2 weeks for the 2nd one to be completed.

You cannot be a commercial driver with a felony conviction. That's federal law.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The sad reality of this situation goes beyond whether or not "to tell or not to tell" the company. Its really about character and integrity. A person who tries to "reduce" the severity of his actions (petty theft and habitual use/distribution) is not worthy of becoming a driver in the first place.

If a person is willing to steal and/or earn money through illegal actions, he is more likely to rob a package car blind down the road.

A person like this never developes "character", and merely stopping because of a drug conviction and a petty theft charge only delays the larger scope of the illness that created the need for these actions in the first place.

While I support his taking a legitimate job in the meantime, his deceptive persona only lends itself to suspicion.

A drug user/seller never stops taking drugs without a treatment program and detoxing. They may hold off for a bit until the "heat" cools down, but it always resurfaces.

At the end of the day, a person like this will enter the driving classification then ultimately get caught in a RANDOM DRUG TEST and it would be all over anyway.

Personally, this type of guy makes it tougher on everyone else, for when his background surfaces, it will force the company to take more "intrusive" actions when looking into perspective employees in the future.

I worry about the potential for theft from the daily dispatch he would be responsible for and alone to safeguard.

I have seen many cases where a driver with a drug and/or alcohol problem will trade packages for each on the route.

If it seems like I dont quite have the sympathy for this guy, then you would be correct as I see the "larger" complications of his personality.

If the company had random tests for part timers who are in the bullpen for driving, we would see a ton of disqualifications.

My recommendation for his guy is simple, First, get some treatment for your problem, pay your dues to society through your convictions, change your mindset, develope some character and integrity and work as if the stuff you are handling is the most important objects you will ever have in your hands.

If you truly have a felony conviction on your record, man up, take your medicine, pay the price and tell the company the truth. Part of punishment for a crime are the repercussions that come along with it. This will help you create character.

The extent of punishment for a crime goes beyond the courtroom, what happens to you after a conviction of a crime in this country is a part of the learning process.

If by coming forward and telling the company of your felony conviction costs you your job, then it should be viewed as a lesson learned and NOT an inconvenience.

Good luck,

Peace.

As previously mentioned I had stopped habitual use/distribution before the arrest. I cycle 100-200 miles a week. There is no place for marijuana in my routine.

Does not matter. According to the law, a package car driver is driving a commercial vehicle. We are also subject to the hours of service law even though we do not all drive a feeder.
How does the HOS laws apply here? I thought to distinguish because on the UPS site there is no mention of a background check for delivery drivers, but there is an explicit mention of one for feeder drivers.

barnyard

KTM rider
How does the HOS laws apply here? I thought to distinguish because on the UPS site there is no mention of a background check for delivery drivers, but there is an explicit mention of one for feeder drivers.

HOS has nothing to do with you, per se. I just used that as an example of how the rules for a semi driver are the same for a package car driver. A vehicle does not need 18 wheels for commercial vehicle law to apply.

Why would I rob the package car I'm driving? It would be pretty obvious that it was me... Anyways I'm done with worrying about them catching me next. I can't handle that life anymore.

UPSGUY72

Yes, they do.

I had a background check when I went full time and another when I went to feeder school. We have a PT guy that is taking an air run to the airport. He has had 1 background check, but something happened to the paperwork and they will not let him drive until the 2nd one is complete. He has been waiting 2 weeks for the 2nd one to be completed.

You cannot be a commercial driver with a felony conviction. That's federal law.

Your wrong you can get CDL and have a felony convictions. However you will never get a Hazmat endorsement. Also the number of companies that would hire you would be small.

The PT air driver can drive he just can't enter the Airport facilities.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
There are several things here. TOS covered some issues very well, and from your posts (understanding that a written post never conveys the whole story) I dont know if you really have left that life behind. Some posts say yes, others tend to cast doubt.

If so, at that time he should be honest again
Honesty is not something you turn off and turn on when it is convenient. Sorry, if you have the ability to "be honest again" you were never honest to begin with.

I don't believe they do, I think once you're in they don't look at anything (unless you receive a DUI, drug charge, or get arrested WHILE you are working there).
UPS continues to look at their employees. I can not say for 100% certainty if they do another background check on 100% of the part timers going full time, but I will tell you this, they can do a background check on any employee at any time if they perceive reasonable cause to do so.

As a shop steward, there have been times when I had knowledge of things that I did not reveal. I was not asked, so I did not speak unless asked. At times, the volunteering of information can be catastrophic.

I would suggest 1. Keeping your nose clean. And I mean clean. Be proactive. 2. If you are ever asked, dont play games and beat around the bush. UPS usually knows the answer to questions before they ask. All they want to do is see if you will lie.

Yes, you did not lie about the conviction of the felony at the time of the application, technically . But you did have a pretty good idea that if offered, you would plea, but either way, you would have a felony count against you. So on your part, it was not truthful either.

I see it as you being on borrowed time.

I do know UPS has a treatment program for its employees. You might want to get some information on that if possible. I would also get legal advice from your lawyer, not from an internet site.

d

yeaalabama1212

When moving from part-time to a full-time driving position, they do perform a second background check. It's included in the application you fill out to become package car driver.