Lenexa, KS (On Topic)

1000RR

I have heard that they are modernizing the Lenexa hub. What will this consist of and what should we expect after it is done? Right now I work in a hub that is planning on being modernized in a few years and am just wondering what to expect. Thanks

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The plan is to replace all employees with robots. :1eye:

JK ... usually it is to increase productivity and probably more ergonomic at the same time.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Our hub was modernized in 2014. If you have a primary sort aisle and secondary sort like we did, both those will be gone. I was a primary sorter for 12 years, luckily I became a driver two years before the modernization. All pickoff and low volume pickoff positions will be gone. Small sort, same deal. Debagging is still the same and they have a group of folks who place the smalls on the belt to be sorted. Sorting and bagging is done automatically, they only need folks to zip up the full bags and slap a label on it. There will be a ton more irregular positions, since with the new system a lot of packages are now considered irregs that weren't before. They have a new position called a tender, and there's a lot of those. They pretty much just watch the flow, break any jams, and remove any open packages or packages not supposed to be on the belt. There's a DA section. Folks in the tender and DA areas usually have more seniority since those are easy jobs. Loading is a lot easier since you so t have to scan or read the labels. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Its from lack of experience. They don't modernize too often.
It is always the little things like with Orion, they failed to get input from the drivers on the little things like crossing traffic and bulk stops.

JackOfClubs

PT Bureaucrat
I'm a PT Sup in Lenexa. Yes, we're pretty much doubling the size of our building and adding a ton of automation, completely doing away with our sort aisle and pickoffs. They will not, however, be downsized.

We're also building a smaller facility south of us in Gardner, KS.