Let the Excuses Begin!

As long as the mechanic's bay is not visible to the general public, UPS won't put much effort into making sure the shop is pristine. The mechanics do a lot of hard dirty work, and it is bound to show. If your building ever featured on the evening news for a planned, human interest story, rest assured the mechanic's work area will have a freshly mopped floor and shiny tools.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My Hub might wash our package cars once a year, so I doubt the company is concerned much with how clean a busy working garage appears.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If my truck cleanliness on the outside was an indication of my service, you'd think I keep the thing parked under an interstate overpass for the entire day.

rod

Retired 22 years
I refused to buy another VW because not only was the last one I owned a money pit but the local dealership was a pig pen that hasn't been updated or remodeled in the last 40 years and their mechanics haven't kept up with the newer technology. As far as the mechanic at my old center went - he did the best he could with the crap he had to work with at the time.

Actually, I needs a life.
I wouldn't go that far. I is a zealot and a man I respect. He wants to make a difference. Some do it in the front line like me and some do it on an Internet forum. He is a man and he doesn't like what he sees and be talks about it. I respect it and will back him on this site to a fault. He's MY boy and be goes the way he feels like he has to.

Integrity

Binge Poster
To All,

Thanks for your participation in this discussion. Due to prior committments I was unable to participate in it.

Some of the comments tell more about the responder than it does about the topic, but that is typical for online forums.

To any of you who think that cleanliness is irrelevant to UPS or to the UPS auto shops you are wrong.

There are posters in our facility that state A Clean Work Area Is A Safe Work Area.

The relation to clean work areas and clean floors is also presented in UPS Safe Work Methods.

UPS Auto shops that are not clean are not safe.

Those of you who support, justify or rationalize the non professional appearance and non cleanliness in any auto shop are supporting, justifying and rationalizing unsafe management practices.

Again, I thank all of you for your contribution to this thread.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Now if we can just get management to care about the "clean work area is a safe work area" idea we will be getting somewhere.
happybob,

What do you mean get management to care?

Management are the authors of the posters and the UPS Safe Work Methods Training.

Please explain what you mean by this?

Sincerely,
I

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
To All,

Thanks for your participation in this discussion. Due to prior committments I was unable to participate in it.

Some of the comments tell more about the responder than it does about the topic, but that is typical for online forums.

To any of you who think that cleanliness is irrelevant to UPS or to the UPS auto shops you are wrong.

There are posters in our facility that state A Clean Work Area Is A Safe Work Area.

The relation to clean work areas and clean floors is also presented in UPS Safe Work Methods.

UPS Auto shops that are not clean are not safe.

Those of you who support, justify or rationalize the non professional appearance and non cleanliness in any auto shop are supporting, justifying and rationalizing unsafe management practices.

Again, I thank all of you for your contribution to this thread.

Sincerely,
I
I have no problem with a clean shop and I prefer it to be that way. Unfortunately the reality I have is that management wants no Red Tags and we have no spare cars , and we are only allowed 8hrs a day to complete the things we need to do to meet these conditions. This is not a rationalization or an excuse, merely a fact.

Johney

I have no problem with a clean shop and I prefer it to be that way. Unfortunately the reality I have is that management wants no Red Tags and we have no spare cars , and we are only allowed 8hrs a day to complete the things we need to do to meet these conditions. This is not a rationalization or an excuse, merely a fact.
I rest my case.

cino321

Repair facilities in this company are a joke, much like the equipment we drive. I don't blame the mechanics, I blame UPS.