Light duty

abes

abes
Coming back from shoulder surgery,does company have to offer light duty if Doc says ok?If so is there a time frame in which you can stay on light duty?Thanks

rod

Retired 22 years
Unless things have changed since I retired (5 years ago) don't expect UPS's idea of "light duty" to agree with yours. After my one and only injury during my 30 years (was off for 2 1/2 months with a herniated disk) I was back to work on "light duty. That is if you call loading a trailer at a printing place light duty. We all know how much fun cases of paper can be.

LKLND3380

Coming back from shoulder surgery,does company have to offer light duty if Doc says ok?If so is there a time frame in which you can stay on light duty?Thanks

You may want to ask the doctor about any weight restrictions...

"Light Duty With Weight Restrictions"

Otherwise they may have you do something that would requre you to lift up to 70lbs. I am not sure how much stress on your shoulder holding a box 69 lbs in your POWER ZONE would be. A customer would NEVER place in inacurate weight on a box...

disneyworld

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe only if it's a work related injury. If it's off the job they don't have to accomodate you.

Y

yesitis

100% correct.
They dont and only would if hell froze over.

Yes, and rightly so.

It's the sort of thing that was once routinely done, depending, but was abused by people and now is NOT done.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

abes

abes
It was work related,Thanks for all of the replies,this is a great site,after 28 years I know there idea of "light duty",doing iregs and overweights:mad:.Just want to make sure I get enough hours in for the pension,sure don't want to prolong my stay.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Once when I was injured on the job the light duty they gave me, with my 20 lb. restriction, was when the package cars would come thru our car wash I was to scrub the wheels clean as well as the back doors. 3.5 hours of that got old real quick and I had to do it for a month.

I did clarify that with my 20 lb. restriction I was still allowed to bowl. Even though a bowling ball weighs only 16 lbs., the actual action of rolling causess you to exert way more than 20 lbs. of pressure. Last thing I needed was UPS having an insurance guy video taping me bowling and trying to take away my workman's comp .

W

wonderboy

Just want to make sure I get enough hours in for the pension,sure don't want to prolong my stay.

I believe your pension is covered while you are on Worker's comp for up to one year.

My advice to you is to stay home until you can return with no restrictions.

helenofcalifornia

Yeah, what does your orthopedic surgeon say? I wouldn't come back until I was 100% ready to come back to driving. Start your cardio and weight lifting now. Oooohhh, you're going to be sore the first week. Advil needed.

tieguy

Banned
Unless things have changed since I retired (5 years ago) don't expect UPS's idea of "light duty" to agree with yours. After my one and only injury during my 30 years (was off for 2 1/2 months with a herniated disk) I was back to work on "light duty. That is if you call loading a trailer at a printing place light duty. We all know how much fun cases of paper can be.

I don't understand your point. You can't be on light duty unless you have some type of medical restrictions that keep you from doing your normal job. What kind of restrictions did you have that allowed you to lift heavy paper boxes.

dillweed

abes, hope that shoulder heals well. It might be a good idea to ask your doctor if he can order some work strengthening therapy for you. I had shoulder surgery and the doctor ordered six weeks of this type of therapy. It was geared toward actual work and they try to simulate whatever type of work you have to do. I was stronger when I returned to work than I had been when I got injured. Take care, dw

DorkHead

I was hurt back in the early 90`s. Bulged disk-out for 5 months. Company doc reduced WC to 75%. My doctor gave me return to work with 15lb. weight limit. center manager said no light work available, filed unemployment and collected $300.00/wk plus $300.00 for WC. I was satisfied with the $400.00 from WC but had to play the game when company doc reduced my WC. Went to phys therapy and work hardening program for 4 hrs per day and haven`t had a problem since-knock on wood!!