Linehaul driving (how is it)

Stanton

Hi, I'm new to the forum and currently working for Coke. I've been wanting to get out of there and into something that will pay better for the long haul. Recently, saw a linehaul driver position open in Carteret, NJ and was thinking about applying but don't have my Hazmat yet.
But can anyone tell me what you do as a linehaul driver? I've only heard that the hours are sporadic and you have to do dock work and I don't know what that entails. Plus, how many hours in a week on average do you work and whats the whole job encompass (running routes?, depot to depot?, etc.)
Being that I pack out for Coke full time and only drive occasionally (when I'm needed) I'm not as experienced as I would like to be. Would UPS shy away from hiring someone who doesn't have a solid year under their belt? Thanks

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Hi, I'm new to the forum and currently working for Coke. I've been wanting to get out of there and into something that will pay better for the long haul. Recently, saw a linehaul driver position open in Carteret, NJ and was thinking about applying but don't have my Hazmat yet.
But can anyone tell me what you do as a linehaul driver? I've only heard that the hours are sporadic and you have to do dock work and I don't know what that entails. Plus, how many hours in a week on average do you work and whats the whole job encompass (running routes?, depot to depot?, etc.)
Being that I pack out for Coke full time and only drive occasionally (when I'm needed) I'm not as experienced as I would like to be. Would UPS shy away from hiring someone who doesn't have a solid year under their belt? Thanks
Ups won't hire you full time off the street. You need to apply for a part time position. Put in your time. Then go full time driving in seniority order.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You talking ups freight?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Not necessarily
Correct. Unless his building in NJ is desperate for feeder drivers. Wouldn't he then be a part time feeder?

Sorry should have put the disclaimer after my 1st.

99% of the time you have to start part time. Hopefully your part of the 1% that gets to jump right in.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Edison is the closest hub to Carteret. After that, Gould Ave in Newark.

Sound like Freight. No one knows what hole they come out of?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Correct. Unless his building in NJ is desperate for feeder drivers. Wouldn't he then be a part time feeder?

Sorry should have put the disclaimer after my 1st.

99% of the time you have to start part time. Hopefully your part of the 1% that gets to jump right in.
I think he's talking freight.