List of things you can use FMLA for and how do you use it?

margaritaville

I currently don't have any reason to use it. But if something DID come up, i would like to know ahead of time instead of figuring it out during an emergency. I know you can use it for 3 months maternity leave even as a guy. But what else can you use it for? Any sort of family crisis? Do you just call and say you are FMLA'ing or do you have to go through a process. What if it is a short term emergency like someone is in hospital or your house is damaged. Do you say you're using fmla there or do you just say "sorry i can't work today dealing with a family/emergency issue."

guyinthebrownbox

If you intend to use FMLA, you must call the HR Service center. Their number can be found by searching FMLA on upsers.com.

They have a breakdown on there how FMLA works and also the eligibility requirements. In a nutshell though, if it is for you personally, any severe medical condition that does not allow you to perform your everyday job duties in a safe manor.

You must have been employed at UPS for the last 12 months and worked over 1250 hours in that 12 months. If not, you can still qualify for some leave under UPS' FMLA Policy. The HR rep will help you get pre approval pending your packet submission

They will email you a packet that your doctor must fill out and sign off on. Once that is done, you have only so many days to submit the packet, and UPS HR rep will make a final approval.

Once approved, when you call in, you must say you are using an FMLA day so your local management can record it correctly. Additionally, HR will give you an automated 800 number to call that and report your absence.

Additionally, if you are approved, the reason you are on FMLA is solely between you, your doctor, UPS' HR rep, and UPS' medical rep. Your local supervision team is not privy to that info, and beyond saying you are on FMLA, are not required to disclose the reason for it to them

clean hairy

It is covered in the contract.
Vacation time will be used initially, off for a week straight on FMLA, one of your vacation weeks is gone.
Am I one of a few that actually read the contract?

StoptheAct1212

As long as its a legit reason you should be ok.... get caught using fmla for wrong reasons your risking your job... and if you do use it, make sure they get the dates right.. i was getting medical bills to my house because my insurance wasn't covering me.... but i straightened it out with a few fhone calls.. . i used 3 weeks when my wife gave birth.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
If you're part-time you have to either 5 or 10 years seniority, at least that's what HR told me awhile back when I looked into it.

rss13

I am currently on FMLA for the birth of my son. Being the bottom guy on the seniority list, and not working right now anyway, I am staying off until I am needed back. It covers my benefits so I don't have to go in and work the sort.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am currently on FMLA for the birth of my son. Being the bottom guy on the seniority list, and not working right now anyway, I am staying off until I am needed back. It covers my benefits so I don't have to go in and work the sort.

You are a PT employee? Why in the world would a PTer need to take 12 weeks off to play Daddy?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You are a PT employee? Why in the world would a PTer need to take 12 weeks off to play Daddy?

I'd like to point something out to you, Dave. Nothing personal, just my observation.

You keep saying 'play Daddy' to others and 'play Grandpa' about yourself.

You don't 'play' those roles. You 'do' those roles.

Just my humble opinion as a father and grandfather.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I fully realize that the roles of parent and grandparent are meant to be taken seriously. My use of the word "play" is not meant to minimize or diminish.

Back on topic-----most PTers struggle financially and to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid time off to "play Daddy" just does not make sense to me.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I fully realize that the roles of parent and grandparent are meant to be taken seriously. My use of the word "play" is not meant to minimize or diminish.

Back on topic-----most PTers struggle financially and to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid time off to "play Daddy" just does not make sense to me.
Maybe they're here PT for the insurance, not the whopping $200 check.
TTKU
Not everybody here PT is broke and working paycheck-to-paycheck

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

And, I realize that both your kids and your two grandkids live away from you. I'm lucky that my two boys, and their children, live near me.

I just don't feel that 'playing' a parent or grandparent is the proper approach.

It's good. Just take the role seriously.

(And, I hope you will be able to move closer to the little ones when you retire.)

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you're part-time you have to either 5 or 10 years seniority, at least that's what HR told me awhile back when I looked into it.
Someone lied to you. Call HRSC...you have to have worked at UPS a year...Not five

HR and management will tell you anything they think you will believe.