List of things you can use FMLA for and how do you use it?

rss13

You are a PT employee? Why in the world would a PTer need to take 12 weeks off to play Daddy?

Actually I was hired as a full time driver. Due to two guys transferring from another center in our local, I have been stuck at the bottom. After summer vacations finished up, I haven't been driving. Also because I have a crappy schedule thus far, I have to work construction on the side, so that is currently paying the bills. Not sure why I felt the need to explain myself to you, but there you have it.

rod

Retired 22 years
It's a different time than when my kids were born 25 years ago....

Mine were born 40+ years ago and it was basically (other than scheduled vacations) "no work--no pay". I could be wrong but I bet 95% of guys taking that FLMA leave after they have a kid are just looking for more time off and it has nothing to do with "bonding".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's a different time than when my kids were born 25 years ago....

I guess.

My daughter took her full 12 weeks after the birth of her daughter and just started her full 12 weeks after the birth of her son.

My ex was back to work within a month after the birth of our daughter and sooner than that after the birth of our son.

rss13

I guess.

My daughter took her full 12 weeks after the birth of her daughter and just started her full 12 weeks after the birth of her son.

My ex was back to work within a month after the birth of our daughter and sooner than that after the birth of our son.

Given the choice, I would have been back to driving after the first week. But since I am off anyway, I may as well stay off with FMLA. As soon as they say they need me, back I will go. Obviously that's totally different for a mother, who should take as much time that is allowed if possible.

Nimnim

The Nim
Mine were born 40+ years ago and it was basically (other than scheduled vacations) "no work--no pay". I could be wrong but I bet 95% of guys taking that FLMA leave after they have a kid are just looking for more time off and it has nothing to do with "bonding".

I agree, but I hate to. I'd like to think they were bonding, but even without a child being involved at all I see too many people begging for time off just because they don't want to work and would rather go play poker or go to the club or whatever people without work ethic these days do.

I've avoided having kids thus far because I don't think I could handle the responsibility of supporting and raising them. Bonding hasn't been a thought to me, but I'm also not calling out just to have fun except a couple times a year(option days are good for that.

rss13

I agree, but I hate to. I'd like to think they were bonding, but even without a child being involved at all I see too many people begging for time off just because they don't want to work and would rather go play poker or go to the club or whatever people without work ethic these days do.

I've avoided having kids thus far because I don't think I could handle the responsibility of supporting and raising them. Bonding hasn't been a thought to me, but I'm also not calling out just to have fun except a couple times a year(option days are good for that.

I can agree with this. Even though I am still working my side job, I am still getting way more time with my son than if I was driving. I rarely request off of work otherwise.

rod

Retired 22 years
If I buy a gold fish can I take FMLA to bond with it?

#fishlivesmatter

If you claim its an "emotional support" pet like all those A-holls on airplanes do now days with their friggin dogs you can probably even claim it as a dependent on your taxes. I swear flying now days is like traveling in a friggin dog kennel.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Perhaps the reason people choose to use FMLA is because of the bleak picture painted here about never seeing family, missing sporting events, missing out on holidays, getting home at ten p.m., and so on. Nah- that probably has nothing to do with it. God forbid a father would use some time to spend with his child. How disgusting.

Heinrich

So I have a serious situation. One of my closest friends is apparently in a coma on the other side of the country, may have had a stroke, may have brain damage when he wakes up. I am listed as his next of kin, his family is not part of his life. Will FMLA cover me? I am going to call them tomorrow. Since we are technically unrelated, will they not care that someone who I consider a brother, and helped raise may have serious medical problems with no one there to support him/help the hospital make decisions when he wakes up?

I may have to leave tomorrow with or without my job, but have worked for ups for many years, and would like to keep it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So I have a serious situation. One of my closest friends is apparently in a coma on the other side of the country, may have had a stroke, may have brain damage when he wakes up. I am listed as his next of kin, his family is not part of his life. Will FMLA cover me? I am going to call them tomorrow. Since we are technically unrelated, will they not care that someone who I consider a brother, and helped raise may have serious medical problems with no one there to support him/help the hospital make decisions when he wakes up?

I may have to leave tomorrow with or without my job, but have worked for ups for many years, and would like to keep it.

It may be too late now but your friend would have had to bestow limited or full power of attorney on you before he ended up in the hospital. He should have also made his final wishes known.

I would be very, very surprised if they allow you to take FMLA.