List of things you can use FMLA for and how do you use it?

Indecisi0n

So I have a serious situation. One of my closest friends is apparently in a coma on the other side of the country, may have had a stroke, may have brain damage when he wakes up. I am listed as his next of kin, his family is not part of his life. Will FMLA cover me? I am going to call them tomorrow. Since we are technically unrelated, will they not care that someone who I consider a brother, and helped raise may have serious medical problems with no one there to support him/help the hospital make decisions when he wakes up?

I may have to leave tomorrow with or without my job, but have worked for ups for many years, and would like to keep it.
I would think it's only for family members/spouses or guardians.

Dr.Brownz

I agree, but I hate to. I'd like to think they were bonding, but even without a child being involved at all I see too many people begging for time off just because they don't want to work and would rather go play poker or go to the club or whatever people without work ethic these days do.

I've avoided having kids thus far because I don't think I could handle the responsibility of supporting and raising them. Bonding hasn't been a thought to me, but I'm also not calling out just to have fun except a couple times a year(option days are good for that.

What kind of life is working everyday of your life? I think some of you guys get so wrapped up in UPS that you start taking on it's values. Seriously, worrying about what other people do when they are not at work is absurd. Who cares.

Dr.Brownz

So I have a serious situation. One of my closest friends is apparently in a coma on the other side of the country, may have had a stroke, may have brain damage when he wakes up. I am listed as his next of kin, his family is not part of his life. Will FMLA cover me? I am going to call them tomorrow. Since we are technically unrelated, will they not care that someone who I consider a brother, and helped raise may have serious medical problems with no one there to support him/help the hospital make decisions when he wakes up?

I may have to leave tomorrow with or without my job, but have worked for ups for many years, and would like to keep it.

Do not listen to upstate. He is a company man wannabe. Go ask HR and explain everything.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I guess upstate has never heard of a PT having two jobs or PT working full time hours.

I am not an expert on FMLA but I believe that the company has to have a minimum number of employees before they are required to acknowledge a FMLA request.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see a lot of PTers in my center who could afford to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave.

hyena

I am not an expert on FMLA but I believe that the company has to have a minimum number of employees before they are required to acknowledge a FMLA request.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see a lot of PTers in my center who could afford to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave.
IMG_2444.JPG

Dr.Brownz

Again, why do you even think about it? If some PTer in my building went on FMLA (assuming I even noticed) my thought would be "who is that?" and then "good for them" as I walk out the door dialing my girlfriends number so I can go get laid.

rod

Retired 22 years
Again, why do you even think about it? If some PTer in my building went on FMLA (assuming I even noticed) my thought would be "who is that?" and then "good for them" as I walk out the door dialing my girlfriends number so I can go get laid.

what's her number?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

It's always, "Just you".

Faceplanted

So let's say one was in a situation where both of their parents are dead, they are the only child, and they have a sole surviving grand parent who requires doctors appointments ect

From what I have read, grand parents are excluded from fmla. Anybody have info reguarding a situation like this?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So let's say one was in a situation where both of their parents are dead, they are the only child, and they have a sole surviving grand parent who requires doctors appointments ect

From what I have read, grand parents are excluded from fmla. Anybody have info reguarding a situation like this?

Is she of sound mind? If so, there are legal steps that could be taken to ensure that you are there when she needs you to be there.