Local 705 Contract Update

Waldo

How long are they extending the bonus? You know you are getting retro pay that started August 1. So this means a new hire is making close to $20 an hour on a 20 hour week if you figure for retro pay plus bonus.

Nobody really knows how long it’s been extended for. I’m assuming it’s going to continue until the new contract starts, but really could end at any time. It is supposed to be behind a week as my first check didn’t have the bonus.

Do you really think I will get retro pay from Aug 1st when I’m not in the union yet? I wonder why it’s 30 days to hit seniority (which I’ve already done), but 40 to get into the union. They collect union dues from week one.

WorkingAsDirected

If they are getting this bonus, the Company is not recognizing them as a seniority employee....

....so why would they award back pay???

broken-clock1.jpg

People have been getting the bonus even after they reach seniority

Waldo

40 days....it's 30 here???

Another nonsensical example of regional or local "autonomy", for employees governed by a "National Master"???

I mean really people....????

At cach its 30 days to pass probation and hit seniority, but they make you wait 40 days until your in the union. Something about a 10 day waiting period. I know it’s odd since dues come out the first paycheck.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Funny thing is why would these be referred to as “bonuses”.....clearly their just competitive wages. Question is why would UPS need to jump through hoops with the union to pay us more. Makes you wonder why our union would seemingly want to prevent us from making more money.

Waldo

Funny thing is why would these be referred to as “bonuses”.....clearly their just competitive wages. Question is why would UPS need to jump through hoops with the union to pay us more. Makes you wonder why our union would seemingly want to prevent us from making more money.

They are considered weekly perfect attendance bonuses. Day and Twilight get $100, Night and Sunrise get $125. Miss a day of work and lose the bonus for the week. Even with the bonuses the turnover is so high only like 15% of new hires make it to 30 days it seems.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
They are considered weekly perfect attendance bonuses. Day and Twilight get $100, Night and Sunrise get $125. Miss a day of work and lose the bonus for the week. Even with the bonuses the turnover is so high only like 15% of new hires make it to 30 days it seems.
The situation is the same in our building....HR says the bonuses are their only tool in paying more. I agree that it still doesn’t stop the revolving door but it sure the hell shouldn’t be this difficult for UPS to pay more where necessary.

WorkingAsDirected

The situation is the same in our building....HR says the bonuses are their only tool in paying more. I agree that it still doesn’t stop the revolving door but it sure the hell shouldn’t be this difficult for UPS to pay more where necessary.

The union asking for a higher P/T starting wage was the dumbest negotiation move ever. The union knew that the company can not get people to stay at the current hourly rate so why even ask for an increase when the company wants to increase it for its own benefit. Instead the union should be asking for a better increase of wage for all its current P/T employees.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
For those who do not understand that weekly "showing up on time bonus" will not be included with your retro checks.

cachmeifucan

Tend to agree with you on the supplements and riders. If the "lesser" agreements are passed and the Master gets tweaked after failing, there's no recourse to change supplements/riders unless those changes are then addressed in the renegotiated Master. Hope everyone with a Supplement/Rider is ready for that.

Back to the hot topic...

If L705 and L710 follow their own Master(s), why did they have representatives on the National Master Negotiating Committee?
The whole separate agreement deal is a charade, as they follow the NMA nearly word for word.
There are riders and local supplements that have more diversification in language than the L705/L710 books.
It's because we could really sway the contract vote maybe even though it passed last time tell bonus stopped here I can't believe you're getting a bonus don't expect a retro check as well
I’ve been one to be enjoying the bonus. It was supposed to stop Aug 1st if we had a new contract and the $13 rate, but since no contract or raise has happened the bonus has been extended. Nobody would probably stay for the lousy $10.35/hr rate. I average 28 hrs a week so with the bonus it comes to about $15.50 an hour for me (of course it’s going to fluctuate on how many hours worked). I’ve still got about 10 days to go until I hit the 40 day mark and get into the union.

cachmeifucan

I heard the bonus stopped some of the new hires are expecting to get 13 soon because the part time supervisor don't know jack lying to retain them

cachmeifucan

Nobody really knows how long it’s been extended for. I’m assuming it’s going to continue until the new contract starts, but really could end at any time. It is supposed to be behind a week as my first check didn’t have the bonus.

Do you really think I will get retro pay from Aug 1st when I’m not in the union yet? I wonder why it’s 30 days to hit seniority (which I’ve already done), but 40 to get into the union. They collect union dues from week one.
So you are not getting bonus your check is already held a week so they probably lied to you

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
At cach its 30 days to pass probation and hit seniority, but they make you wait 40 days until your in the union. Something about a 10 day waiting period. I know it’s odd since dues come out the first paycheck.
FYI, for L705, all union deductions (monthly dues, initiation fee, and 'special assessment (strike fund)') are listed on your paystub under the single deduction of "union dues".

Waldo

FYI, for L705, all union deductions (monthly dues, initiation fee, and 'special assessment (strike fund)') are listed on your paystub under the single deduction of "union dues".

Does anyone know what the current initiation fees are for 705?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Does anyone know what the current initiation fees are for 705?
Part-time: $100
Full-time: $200
part timers do not have to pay any additional fees when going full-time.
(used to be $50/$100, the increases were proposed and voted into the Bylaws about 5 years ago)