Local 705 Contract Update

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
"We began negotiating with the company on July 10, 2018, we are working diligently to address your needs."

Hmmm...so waiting til three weeks before expiration to begin negotiating is "working diligently?"

That sounds like a round peg trying to fit in a square hole.

Is that what you were told? Might want to check on labor laws concerning expiring contracts.
Having seen the lack of meaningful progress at the national level when starting negotiations early, we were told it doesn't make fiscal sense to start early. Because of the large number of working members & stewards (in addition to union staff) on the negotiating committee, they claim the bill for 'lost wages' is up to $15,000/day.

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
At CACH: all inside employees, yard shifters, local feeder work is Local 705; "road run" feeder work is Local 710. I believe there are currently about 900 FT feeder drivers domiciled @ CACH, split roughly half & half between 705 and 710.

Wow. That’s impressive. I know a couple guys up there who are 710 members. So was just under the impression it was all 710

Inthegame

Having seen the lack of meaningful progress at the national level when starting negotiations early, we were told it doesn't make fiscal sense to start early. Because of the large number of working members & stewards (in addition to union staff) on the negotiating committee, they claim the bill for 'lost wages' is up to $15,000/day.
And that's a great reason that I wholeheartedly agree with. Why the IBT wastes time meeting early only to get stonewalled day after day in useless sessions is insane. I was hoping for a better result when I heard Sean O (as Pkg lead negotiator) told UPS we'll see you in July if you pull the delay game again. But when Denis took the reins I'll I could think of was the Talking Heads, "Same as it ever was"...
Thanks Hondo, you should post more, you're always spot on with factual info.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Because of the large number of working members & stewards (in addition to union staff) on the negotiating committee, they claim the bill for 'lost wages' is up to $15,000/day.

And just to add to your post;

When people say "vote it down, and send them back to the table" well.. OK.

There were 68 Teamster officials on the last National negotiating committee.

(not to mention the support employees)

It's your dues money paying for the salaries, air flight, hotel rooms, conference rooms,

rental vehicles, daily meal per diem, etc.

Room costs alone (for 4 days) would be conservatively estimated at $50,000.

And members don't understand why there are dues increases....

-Bug-

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
And just to add to your post;

When people say "vote it down, and send them back to the table" well.. OK.

There were 68 Teamster officials on the last National negotiating committee.

(not to mention the support employees)

It's your dues money paying for the salaries, air flight, hotel rooms, conference rooms,

rental vehicles, daily meal per diem, etc.

Room costs alone (for 4 days) would be conservatively estimated at $50,000.

And members don't understand why there are dues increases....

-Bug-
Well now I’ve basically heard it all.....in related news negotiating a good contract is essentialy their only job. Sounds a lot like the time they told us that our dues need to go up by $10 to replenish our strike fund. Well we received 1 check for $55 and 21 years later we are still paying. So according to my math after deducting the $55 the union has pocketed an additional $2465 from just me. Sooooi......yeah they need to get back and work for it’s members.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Well now I’ve basically heard it all.....in related news negotiating a good contract is essentialy their only job. Sounds a lot like the time they told us that our dues need to go up by $10 to replenish our strike fund. Well we received 1 check for $55 and 21 years later we are still paying. So according to my math after deducting the $55 the union has pocketed an additional $2465 from just me. Sooooi......yeah they need to get back and work for it’s members.

When was the last time.... you went to a Local Union membership meeting ?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I have never been involved with any face to face any of the negotiating committees (never was invited). I am just a grunt in the trenches paying his monthly union dues. It would be great if these committees from day one would video conference their meetings, for what purpose is it to keep the membership in the dark by using informational blackouts? It tends to breed mistrust.

What the vast majority of what the rank and file sees is a bunch of middle aged white good old boys in poorly fitting suits siting around at some hotel chumping it up. In reality what do they do all day besides political gossiping and posturing?

This apathy that you complain about often would start to shift if we had more transparence about our collective bargaining processes. What we are getting now is another forced contract with "concessions" and no real improvements to compensate for them.

Inthegame

I have never been involved with any face to face any of the negotiating committees (never was invited).
In my experience, members selected to negotiating committees have shown leadership in the field and in most cases have been elected by their peers to represent. Maybe you need to be more involved?
I am just a grunt in the trenches paying his monthly union dues.
Best return on investment you make.
It would be great if these committees from day one would video conference their meetings, for what purpose is it to keep the membership in the dark by using informational blackouts? It tends to breed mistrust.
It would be the dullest video ever presented especially early on. But maybe you're on to something as then the members would see how ridiculous proposals are from UPS.
Anyway a typical mtg consists of UPS reading a Union proposal and responding, "we're not interested in that". Then the Union will read a Co proposal and say the same. Then a four hour caucus takes place and the action is repeated on another proposal.
The IBT has released more info on these proceedings than any contract in the last forty years. But it's not the info you want to hear.
What the vast majority of what the rank and file sees is a bunch of middle aged white good old boys in poorly fitting suits siting around at some hotel chumping it up. In reality what do they do all day besides political gossiping and posturing?
So after admitting no knowledge of the process, you now feel empowered to speak for the "vast majority" and criticize the race, age, attire and behavior of the elected representatives who have been positioned on those committees by the rank and file? That's some hubris.

Most reps/PO's on the committees spend hours each day making and returning calls as their representational duties don't stop during negotiations.

Posturing and political gossip are BC's realm, not negotiating committees.
What we are getting now is another forced contract with "concessions" and no real improvements to compensate for them.
Since when is the membership not allowed to vote on the NMA?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
In my experience, members selected to negotiating committees have shown leadership in the field and in most cases have been elected by their peers to represent. Maybe you need to be more involved?
Best return on investment you make.
It would be the dullest video ever presented especially early on. But maybe you're on to something as then the members would see how ridiculous proposals are from UPS.
Anyway a typical mtg consists of UPS reading a Union proposal and responding, "we're not interested in that". Then the Union will read a Co proposal and say the same. Then a four hour caucus takes place and the action is repeated on another proposal.
The IBT has released more info on these proceedings than any contract in the last forty years. But it's not the info you want to hear.
So after admitting no knowledge of the process, you now feel empowered to speak for the "vast majority" and criticize the race, age, attire and behavior of the elected representatives who have been positioned on those committees by the rank and file? That's some hubris.

Most reps/PO's on the committees spend hours each day making and returning calls as their representational duties don't stop during negotiations.

Posturing and political gossip are BC's realm, not negotiating committees.
Since when is the membership not allowed to vote on the NMA?

I get your point...I have the upmost respect for those involved in our Union leadership that fairly represents us. My remark about the make up of the negotiating committees was overboard, I could of said it better.

Gaintain

Got this from my union rep.

Attachments

• C78E2E10-174B-4956-8F14-F9E97C680DA1.jpeg
    C78E2E10-174B-4956-8F14-F9E97C680DA1.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 217