Local 767 Mesquite Hub

Red Dawn

Hang in there new buildings coming.

what does your BA say about turning the pt jobs into one of the thousand vacant combo jobs?

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

Many employers require that potential employees understand both spoken and written English. I wondered if UPS in Texas has the same requirement for hub employees.

TheFigurehead

I was wondering about the quality of the work force.

Again... what difference does this make? One's language does not dictate their work ethic. Beyond that... a good portion of the spanish speaking people I have worked with at various places of employment will easily work you, me, and most of the other folks who speak 'Merican under the table without any complaints.

PT Car Washer

Again... what difference does this make? One's language does not dictate their work ethic. Beyond that... a good portion of the spanish speaking people I have worked with at various places of employment will easily work you, me, and most of the other folks who speak 'Merican under the table without any complaints.
If it does not make a difference then why do employers require employees to understand spoken and written English? Don't try and read something more into the question.

PT Car Washer

So that there aren't communication issues. It has nothing to do with work ethic.
Not work ethic. But the ability to understand, speak and write the English language is a measurement of a quality work force. I am still waiting for someone to answer my original question. If UPS hires non English speaking employees as package handlers in the hubs in Texas. Mine does not.

Island

My experience has been that the company pushes people who don't speak english into its housekeeping contractor. There have been times that I've tried to ask them for help cleaning up something and it's difficult to get a message across, but that's not a real problem. The most problematic part is that they seem to distance themselves from us because they can't talk to us, so there's kind of a factional mentality, I would say. It's not like we hate each other, it's just easier not to sit at the same table in the break room.
We do hire deaf people in the hub. That has been stressful. Have you ever tried to yell "Watch out!" at a deaf person who is moments away from being hit by an over 70, a falling package wall, or a vehicle? And if they're not facing you, you can't just gesture... you end up running at them in a panic to physically involve yourself in their danger.

I'm not going to rag on the quality of the workforce that results from high turnover because that's obvious, in addition the hours and payrate are pretty crap so that adds on top of it, but my real beef with how the company doesn't try to increase the quality is about drug testing. I don't care if you smoke marijuana recreationally but if you come to work too high to function then you are creating danger. If I can't depend on you to stop a package wall from falling down then I don't want to work with you. I don't need to get crushed, thanks. And the high turnover seems to mean that a huge number of my coworkers are too drunk or high some mornings to be worth a damn. And honestly I think members of management know about it and ignore it because they are just as bad. There have been times in my operation where half a department is too stoned to work well.

The people I work with are pretty OK, I make sure they know anything that helps them work better and in turn they respect me. If only management functioned as well as my department, this company would really be something.

PT Car Washer

Sounds exactly like my hub. We have 1 deaf person who is an Art 22.3 midnight/pre load. Most of my hub time is during the twilight sort and they are a pretty good bunch. Spent a little bit of time on midnight years ago and the difference is night and day.

10 point

My experience has been that the company pushes people who don't speak english into its housekeeping contractor. There have been times that I've tried to ask them for help cleaning up something and it's difficult to get a message across, but that's not a real problem. The most problematic part is that they seem to distance themselves from us because they can't talk to us, so there's kind of a factional mentality, I would say. It's not like we hate each other, it's just easier not to sit at the same table in the break room.
We do hire deaf people in the hub. That has been stressful. Have you ever tried to yell "Watch out!" at a deaf person who is moments away from being hit by an over 70, a falling package wall, or a vehicle? And if they're not facing you, you can't just gesture... you end up running at them in a panic to physically involve yourself in their danger.

I'm not going to rag on the quality of the workforce that results from high turnover because that's obvious, in addition the hours and payrate are pretty crap so that adds on top of it, but my real beef with how the company doesn't try to increase the quality is about drug testing. I don't care if you smoke marijuana recreationally but if you come to work too high to function then you are creating danger. If I can't depend on you to stop a package wall from falling down then I don't want to work with you. I don't need to get crushed, thanks. And the high turnover seems to mean that a huge number of my coworkers are too drunk or high some mornings to be worth a damn. And honestly I think members of management know about it and ignore it because they are just as bad. There have been times in my operation where half a department is too stoned to work well.

The people I work with are pretty OK, I make sure they know anything that helps them work better and in turn they respect me. If only management functioned as well as my department, this company would really be something.
We have a part employee that is deaf. He's the hardest worker on his shift.

Its comical to watch the sups go crazy when he washes the inside pkg car windows while bracing his arm/hand on the center of the steering wheels.

He doesn't know the horn is blaring the whole time. Lol

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
We have a part employee that is deaf. He's the hardest worker on his shift.

Its comical to watch the sups go crazy when he washes the inside pkg car windows while bracing his arm/hand on the center of the steering wheels.

He doesn't know the horn is blaring the whole time. Lol

I'd bet he knows.:devil3:

barnyard

KTM rider
If it does not make a difference then why do employers require employees to understand spoken and written English?

The reason that it is required is that the company is then only responsible for posting safety and informational notices in English. If reading English is not required, the company then has to post all notices in a language that comprises more than a certain percentage of the work force (I do not remember the percentage.)

My wife used to work at a company that did not require English. Her job was to find translators for all of the notices that they posted. They posted in Spanish, Somali and 5 others (thinks my wife, neither of us want to get up and look at a sample file that info.) It was a VERY, VERY good gig for the translators. The Somali translator was paid $50/page.