Local 89 Freddy

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
No, the lawsuit is still ongoing but I don't see it going anywhere. Keep in mind that the company already had employees at $16.50, which was $1.50 more than they would have been on August 1st had the MRA rates not gone into effect since those employees would have only been at $15 after receiving their .50 progression raise. So the union basically wanted the company to double dip and move them to $17 an hour. This was all filed before the company decided a few weeks later to bump everyone up to $20 or $21 an hour. So in the span of 1 month and a half, new employees and those with 5 or less years of seniority got a $5.50 cent raise! So with this ongoing lawsuit, there is no way the union or the company can or should give progression employees their .50 cent progression raise on top of that because then employees who have been here for less than a month would make more than an employee who has been there for 15 years! So that lawsuit is dead on arrival as of right now. If these MRAS go away in January like they are supposed to, then the union might have a leg to stand on, but as of right now fighting to get those employees an extra .50 on top of what they currently make would be wrong and a slap in the face to every other seniority employee. No way should they make MORE than a 15 year veteran.
They got me with this the last contract I was under as a part timer. Starting rate was $8.50 when I started. A new contract came out to $14 starting rate and if you were under $14, then you got bumped up to the new rate. I was above $14 so I asked what would I get? Nothing. I was furious but did nothing about it. Kudos to you for having the balls to stand up.

On to another topic, am I hearing you say they are starting guys out at $20-21 now? I better see a major raise for drivers in the next contract if that’s true.

Last edited:
This is why an actual pt progression and full scale would be nice.
That was the way it worked when I started. 90 days to top rate. Instead of having a different pay rate for almost every PT employee and now FT employees with the 22.3 and the 22.4 and RPCD and 4 year progression. Is a 5 year progression next contract?

Yeet

Why? PT starting wage did not increase for 20 years. Your a delivery driver. Not a rocket scientist.
I’m not a delivery driver, Mr car washer M.D. I take on way more risks and responsibilities then some schmuck loading a truck. You don’t report to DOT. You don’t have to deal with random drug screens. You don’t have a license you have to maintain. You don’t risk your life driving into a hurricane. Keep washing your cars, b*. You don’t know what we go through. I take on more, WAY MORE. Pay me more.

I’m not a delivery driver, Mr car washer M.D. I take on way more risks and responsibilities then some schmuck loading a truck. You don’t report to DOT. You don’t have to deal with random drug screens. You don’t have a license you have to maintain. You don’t risk your life driving into a hurricane. Keep washing your cars, b*. You don’t know what we go through. I take on more, WAY MORE. Pay me more.
I do report to the DOT, I do have to maintain a drivers license, not too many hurricanes in the Midwest but lots of blizzards and below zero temps every Winter. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I HAVE TO GO THROUGH. PAY ME MORE.

Yeet

I do report to the DOT, I do have to maintain a drivers license, not too many hurricanes in the Midwest but lots of blizzards and below zero temps every Winter. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I HAVE TO GO THROUGH. PAY ME MORE.
Your pissant class E does not compare. You know what I’m talking about yet you deflect. I have to make a lifestyle change to uphold my license. Pay me more.

Yeet

But you might get wet in those wash tunnels and you have to drive through those blizzards of yours never leaving the yard and at speeds of up to 15 MPH. Yup, you and I are on the same level. 😂

Yeet

Man having a CDL ain't nothing special. Just look at about 90 percent of the people that have a CDL.
It’s really not that hard. But there are a lot of hoops we have to jump through and I’m not going to sit here and listen to some a*hole tell me he deserves the same for washing package cars.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
I get ya man. I have 30 years driving these things, over 20 OTR. I'm way too jaded to be subjective on anything in transportation. I will say I wouldn't want to be parking package cars in some of these small centers though lol. Insane how they pack em in some of these places.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Why? PT starting wage did not increase for 20 years. Your a delivery driver. Not a rocket scientist.

When I hired in the state minimum wage was set at $2.30 a hour, as a collective bargaining part time employee I started at $5.50.

Brought up today’s standard using that formula the part time new hires should be starting at $21.

If you have part timers continuing to work over 30 hours a week they should be classified as full time with all the benefits associated with that promotion. The Company is more than willing to keep them in a permanent part time classification in order to prevent paying more into their pension and health and welfare plans.

Just study how the part timer’s pension under the Central Supplement is formulated. It stops after 35 years, no more increases no matter how further they work. On average the Company has to pay into the Health and Welfare coverages $ 100 dollars a week more to cover a full timer.

Another issue for high seniority part timers is the transfer to a full time position under the Central. You basically start all over again in a separate pension trust, we still have an issue with high seniority part timers not going full time just because they would lose out in their pension benefits if they decide to before age 65. This problem has been going on since the 2008 Contract and I do not see any urgency from the International to fix it. Most of their lack to improve on the pension language has to do with weak negotiating and leadership playing politics, pitting regions against each other.

This election is a prime example.. the two top candidates on the Vairma ticket are heavily invested in the Western pension plans that are paying on average twice as much than the Central and Southern for the same amount of service years.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If you have part timers continuing to work over 30 hours a week they should be classified as full time with all the benefits associated with that promotion.

Totally agree.

The more realistic solution would be a percentage.

If a certain number of PT employees were caused to work over 30 hours a week consistently....

a new full-time position would have to be created. By seniority.

When I hired in the state minimum wage was set at $2.30 a hour, as a collective bargaining part time employee I started at $5.50.

Brought up today’s standard using that formula the part time new hires should be starting at $21.

If you have part timers continuing to work over 30 hours a week they should be classified as full time with all the benefits associated with that promotion. The Company is more than willing to keep them in a permanent part time classification in order to prevent paying more into their pension and health and welfare plans.

Just study how the part timer’s pension under the Central Supplement is formulated. It stops after 35 years, no more increases no matter how further they work. On average the Company has to pay into the Health and Welfare coverages $ 100 dollars a week more to cover a full timer.

Another issue for high seniority part timers is the transfer to a full time position under the Central. You basically start all over again in a separate pension trust, we still have an issue with high seniority part timers not going full time just because they would lose out in their pension benefits if they decide to before age 65. This problem has been going on since the 2008 Contract and I do not see any urgency from the International to fix it. Most of their lack to improve on the pension language has to do with weak negotiating and leadership playing politics, pitting regions against each other.

This election is a prime example.. the two top candidates on the Vairma ticket are heavily invested in the Western pension plans that are paying on average twice as much than the Central and Southern for the same amount of service years.
You have a grasp on the realities of the PT workforce at UPS. Especially for high seniority members. Why should I have to start over in seniority when going FT. And I enjoy the freedom of choosing when or where I want to work or the number of hours worked,