local sort jumping a cover driver?? Help!!

542thruNthru

The fact that 22.4 get dibs on ft driver positions. Really hurts any stand anyone wanted to make.

I would be pissed if I was a PTer for years and some off the street 22.4 hire with 6 months seniority got a RPCD job before me.

I'm so glad we don't have to deal with that here. Its complete BS in my mind.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I would be pissed if I was a PTer for years and some off the street 22.4 hire with 6 months seniority got a RPCD job before me.

I'm so glad we don't have to deal with that here. Its complete BS in my mind.
And some people weekends just don’t work for them and that’s part of why they had considered ups a career

The Milkman

I qualified to cover drive in October of last year and have driven quit a bit on and off since. I occasionally drive air in the morning and work some preload. I also drive every Saturday. There are 5 or 6 full time drivers retiring this year and i was hoping to move up the line. Now I am finding out a few guys from local sort are qualifying to drive in the next month. They have been with the company longer but i have been cover driving longer. Can they jump me in seniority? Is there anything i can do to protect my place in line or will i be pushed back down to the bottom of the line again? Help please! I have a baby on the way and 2 other kids to provide for. I cant afford to not drive after we have gotten use to the income.

Seniority has it's place in Union Jobs. You just have to be patient. In due time your seniority will come into play to your advantage. It is only fair that those with more company time than you should get a crack before you. You knew when you got hired that becoming friend/T would be a challenge. Be thankful that you have your foot in the door to have a chance to become a driver. it is what it is, and the payoff down the road is worth the wait

WTFm8

Depends on your supplement language.

Mine states first day driving is your driving seniority and applies to bidding new/open positions. Doesn’t matter how long you’ve been inside.

djvette80

Some people have second jobs and families. They can't take the chance of being a cover driver and not working fulltime at points during the year. So they wait their turn to become a FT driver. Just like you'll have to. Just because you started cover driving first doesn't mean anything. Heck someone could start at UPS at 18 and can't drive till they are 21. So because of that their 3 years of seniority shouldn't count?

Sorry you feel screwed over but it's how it works and it's the right thing.

So what do they do when they work at a 40 hour a week job, making 15 an hour and get called to drive ? seriously asking. wouldn't you much rather work for twice that instead. Then your stuck in situation where you have to either call in to you full time job or pass up driving. I imagine its hard to find a job that wouldn't mind you calling in. Im really not trying to be rude. Just feels like im never going to have the opportunity if i keep getting jumped. sorry to seem ungrateful.

djvette80

Seniority has it's place in Union Jobs. You just have to be patient. In due time your seniority will come into play to your advantage. It is only fair that those with more company time than you should get a crack before you. You knew when you got hired that becoming friend/T would be a challenge. Be thankful that you have your foot in the door to have a chance to become a driver. it is what it is, and the payoff down the road is worth the wait

I didnt know it would be a challenge. I have had five cover drivers ahead of me for almost a year now. Now when people are finally retiring suddenly everyone is trying to qualify which i get. im just a little frustrated because i have been driving 3 or more days a week plus Saturdays for 7 moths now. im worried all of that will now come to an end.

Mycow

They hope to pass probation. That's their risk not yours. Yours is just hope they use you. I think it was worth it when I was cover if they didn't schedule me for the week if I drove that week it was top rate. 2 14 hour days at top rate is equal to week of cover pay just about

KoennenTiger

We don't have part time cover drivers here. We have TCD utility drivers. Our cover drivers are FSP (full service providers). I'm not sure if they are guaranteed 40. Though us drivers with our own route used to be able to just give a cover guy who didn't have work that day our board and go home. Sometimes they'd hide so they wouldn't have to work. They don't let us do that anymore.

I mean here we'd call you a utilabuse driver so hey pal, get ready to be abused. You're not a driver yet. And I mean seven months?! I worked part time in the night and then went to a full time job in the day for years. For YEARS. Before I could even become a utilabuse driver! :censored2: dude come on

542thruNthru

So what do they do when they work at a 40 hour a week job, making 15 an hour and get called to drive ? seriously asking. wouldn't you much rather work for twice that instead. Then your stuck in situation where you have to either call in to you full time job or pass up driving. I imagine its hard to find a job that wouldn't mind you calling in. Im really not trying to be rude. Just feels like im never going to have the opportunity if i keep getting jumped. sorry to seem ungrateful.

Most PT at my building work a 40hr job and UPS. Cover Driver is not a guaranteed 40 hour week which I'm sure you know. So they decline it till a FT "RPCD" job becomes available. Everyone suffers in their own way while they wait.

I worked cover driver 5 years. Was sent back many time to work preload when their was no work. Luckily I had no family or I'd have been screwed. I did 9 years preload/cover driver.

The Milkman

I didnt know it would be a challenge. I have had five cover drivers ahead of me for almost a year now. Now when people are finally retiring suddenly everyone is trying to qualify which i get. im just a little frustrated because i have been driving 3 or more days a week plus Saturdays for 7 moths now. im worried all of that will now come to an end.

Just Hang in there. That's all you can do. I started at the bottom of seniority in my center in 82, but slowly I climbed the ladder being able to finally get decent vacation picks,and when I bid a route there were always more guys/gals ahead of me. But in due time I was up there in the top 10 as guys retired and transferred. Now I am into my 12th year of retirement looking back on how I got here and enjoying every minute of it. Time flies and if you stick it out you will someday be enjoying the fruits of your labor and the sacrifices you made over the years, again I remind you, there are many outside your hub that would change places with you in a heartbeat

Just Hang in there. That's all you can do. I started at the bottom of seniority in my center in 82, but slowly I climbed the ladder being able to finally get decent vacation picks,and when I bid a route there were always more guys/gals ahead of me. But in due time I was up there in the top 10 as guys retired and transferred. Now I am into my 12th year of retirement looking back on how I got here and enjoying every minute of it. Time flies and if you stick it out you will someday be enjoying the fruits of your labor and the sacrifices you made over the years, again I remind you, there are many outside your hub that would change places with you in a heartbeat
And your retired so early. Couldn't do 50 and out?