local sort jumping a cover driver?? Help!!

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
Funny how titles are different around the country. In the NW a part time driver is called a utility driver. Full time drivers fall into two classifications. Bid or cover. All a cover driver is, is a full time driver who doesn't have a route. I was a utility driver about a year, cover driver 15, and a bid driver 12.

And yes, it's all in seniority. I was in your shoes. I still had to wait my turn. Luckily I didn't have to wait long.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I qualified to cover drive in October of last year and have driven quit a bit on and off since. I occasionally drive air in the morning and work some preload. I also drive every Saturday. There are 5 or 6 full time drivers retiring this year and i was hoping to move up the line. Now I am finding out a few guys from local sort are qualifying to drive in the next month. They have been with the company longer but i have been cover driving longer. Can they jump me in seniority? Is there anything i can do to protect my place in line or will i be pushed back down to the bottom of the line again? Help please! I have a baby on the way and 2 other kids to provide for. I cant afford to not drive after we have gotten use to the income.
Generally NO you cannot jump ahead of people with more seniority. There may be exceptions as pointed out.