Looks Familiar...

oldngray

nowhere special
1000.jpg

Johney

Amazon built a massive building pretty much right on the grounds of the Miami Opa-Locka airport right down the road from our Hialeah hub.

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.
Here is just a thought I'd like to lay out for some "constructive" discussion. I know that "constructive discussion" is asking a lot from this group, but what he heck; here it goes:

I'm under the "impression / understanding" that due to such incredibly low shipping rates that UPS has negotiated with Amazon, that UPS makes almost no, if any, profit off of Amazon deliveries.

I'm not positive that it is a true statement, but if true, that means the profitability of UPS would not be "financially" harmed at all by losing Amazon. UPS would just be cutting an expense (customer) that isn't generating any profit.
In other words, is UPS just crying about possibly losing a customer (Amazon) that doesn't do anything to add to the quarterly profits ???

What are some thoughts on this ???

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Here is just a thought I'd like to lay out for some "constructive" discussion. I know that "constructive discussion" is asking a lot from this group, but what he heck; here it goes:

I'm under the "impression / understanding" that due to such incredibly low shipping rates that UPS has negotiated with Amazon, that UPS makes almost no, if any, profit off of Amazon deliveries.

I'm not positive that it is a true statement, but if true, that means the profitability of UPS would not be "financially" harmed at all by losing Amazon. UPS would just be cutting an expense (customer) that isn't generating any profit.
In other words, is UPS just crying about possibly losing a customer (Amazon) that doesn't do anything to add to the quarterly profits ???

I think we probably break even or make a small amount on most Amazon. What does do however is increase stop density therefore increasing the margins on surrounding packages.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive

UPS is crying about it because they fear Amazon will and indeed they will encroach further into the shipping industry. Probably within ten years they will be making some drone deliveries, and they do deliver in some of the metropolitan areas. Eventually driver-less auto will become approved and they won't need UPS a bit. This is why that article about UPS looking into delivering couches, and larger appliances popped up on the home page a week or so ago.
And if you noticed that two-tiered pay system with hybrid driving positions, then you might think about looking for a new career because UPS is looking to sack the already weak Union.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Was told by our DM that the benefit of Amazon is that they pay the utilities bills for UPS. They aren't a cash cow but are a steady stream of money.

Chester

UPS is crying about it because they fear Amazon will and indeed they will encroach further into the shipping industry. Probably within ten years they will be making some drone deliveries, and they do deliver in some of the metropolitan areas. Eventually driver-less auto will become approved and they won't need UPS a bit. This is why that article about UPS looking into delivering couches, and larger appliances popped up on the home page a week or so ago.
And if you noticed that two-tiered pay system with hybrid driving positions, then you might think about looking for a new career because UPS is looking to sack the already weak Union.
Wow this post is full of misinformation.