Lost another brother.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It could be my imagination, but it seems as if multiple heat related deaths have been after drivers have been out awhile for injuries. I think they didn’t realize they were no longer acclimated to the heat and didn’t take it easy for a few days after retuning.

BigGuy2732

Slow it up in the heat. Drink electrolyte drinks. If we gotta suffer in this heat, at least get paid some OT! And don't get the vax! You don't want to be a victim of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome and then have them blame it on heat stroke.

HavenoEDD

Air conditioning shouldn’t have to be bargained for and shouldn’t be ripped out of trucks. Company has questions to answer and I’d like to see O’Brien and this new union address this.

Heat injury’s are 100% avoidable. Slow down, find shade, hydrate and take breaks.

When brothers are dying due to heat stroke, exhaustion etc at some point enough has to be enough. The next time a supervisor mentions over/under remind them of this poor guy….it doesn’t say Jack in the contract about these numbers.

Work effectively but look after yourself out there.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Had a driver collapse in our center during summer. That hot metal floor in the package car is no joke, he was lucky he did it in front of a business and they came out to check for their package pretty quickly. Probably would of died if he was on a rural route out by someone’s house who wasn’t home. I think most of the time it is just the driver wanting to get off early, you just want to be like oh I’ll get a drink after I finish the section or I don’t want to break from this area and have to come back later but I’m out of water.

I’ve caught myself doing that before, once severe dehydration kicks in it’ll cloud your mind and judgement leading to heat stroke.

We had two drivers (at least- pretty big building) in the hospital from the heat last year. Guess what. Both of them skipped their lunch and breaks to try to get done. Funny how all the other manual laborers are always sitting in the shade from 12-1 on those hot days.

Non liberal

We had two drivers (at least- pretty big building) in the hospital from the heat last year. Guess what. Both of them skipped their lunch and breaks to try to get done. Funny how all the other manual laborers are always sitting in the shade from 12-1 on those hot days.
Yeah, I get it though. I try and skip lunch as well just because I like making the money. Just have to watch it in the heat.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Cool solutions are heat related breaks that are outside of any lunch/breaks required per your local supplement.
One of the “cool solutions“ methods is to take your lunch, at the appropriate time (likely the hottest part of the day), in a cool ac space. If you need to get drinks, rest, cool down, or take a mental health break due to the heat, that is on company time. Safety is number 1. Any issues from management call your BA, shop stewart, OSHA, email Carol, your health and safety co chair, local news channel Etc. Seriously do not play around with your health in the heat. Drivers need to take ownership of heat related safety issues because the challenges out in the heat are all too real.
Well said.

Integrity

Binge Poster
UPS leadership should be ashamed of themselves for allowing drivers to drive without A/C, this is the year 2022.

Teamsters leadership should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to continue in this day and age.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
UPS leadership should be ashamed of themselves for allowing drivers to drive without A/C, this is the year 2022.

Teamsters leadership should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to continue in this day and age.
Oh please ..air conditioning in package cars?

blowing cold in my face every other stop would probably make me sick

You think Jesus had A/C?

SMH
🧔‍♂️✊

Integrity

Binge Poster
Oh please ..air conditioning in package cars?
Yes. I firmly believe that UPS will eventually be forced to provide climate controlled delivery vehicles.
blowing cold in my face every other stop would probably make me sick
I don't think so. I think it is pretty much known that change of temperatures don't make people sick. Bacteria and viruses make us sick.
You think Jesus had A/C?
No, air conditioning was not yet invented when Jesus walked the earth.

Thebrownblob

Oh boy this argument again? AC in the cab would do nothing. Plenty of air with doors open. It’s the back of the truck that’s brutal. And I don’t foresee UPS adding reefers anytime soon sooo…. Until then stay hydrated and get into a cool place if you’re feeling bad.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Oh boy this argument again? AC in the cab would do nothing. Plenty of air with doors open. It’s the back of the truck that’s brutal. And I don’t friend foresee UPS adding reefers anytime soon sooo…. Until then stay hydrated and get into a cool place if you’re feeling bad.
A/C will do nothing correct ..going on strike soon these yuppies worried about a/c

SMH
🧔‍♂️✊