Lost my Diad today

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
This is the base commercial scanner model our Diad is based on. Now add customization and programming.

70,000 were rolled out. 70,000 isn't going to bring that pice down to 600 dollars.

EDIT I just noticed this is REFURBISHED price which further solidifies my point

View attachment 39988

Yeah, because I'm sure UPS buys them from this website, one at a time. No bulk price or anything.

UPSGUY72

Yeah, because I'm sure UPS buys them from this website, one at a time. No bulk price or anything.

UPS doesn't buy them from the Website and the one UPS use aren't exactly like the one you see online. You have to add in the price of the software and other R+D cost. UPS most likely did get a Bulk price discount there are a limited amount of companies that supply hand scanners and even a smaller amount that supply ones that UPS could use.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
You obviously didn't read the thread or my post skippy.

I was showing a base price of a REFURBISHED scanner that is SIMILAR to what we use. RnD and programming will only add to the cost. No amount of bulk pricing his going to get it down to 600 dollars.

Dracula

Still wouldn't cost UPS as much as a cell phone.

When I was driving, the last DIAD was the last one before the smaller ones you guys now carry. They were made by an Israeli company that UPS bought outright. The way it was told to us, they bought the company so they could tomahawk the costs eliminate the profits in order benefit the mothership.

I highly doubt that only one company has the tech for the latest DIADS. And if more than one company makes them, their costs get harpooned by a company that always plays hardball.

I would be shocked if UPS pays anything close to $600 for the latest DIADS. They are basically a cell phone with a laser.

I love how this forum is built up where some guy can come on here and admit what he did wrong--a simple mistake--and a bunch of holy rollers tears the man down like a pack of ignorant supervisors. No wonder our union solidarity is neck and neck with the approval rating of Congress.

Pathetic.

Dracula

Also this thread would have been about ONE replacement scanner, not a bulk amount

That's an even dumber argument, SKIPPY.

I've got news for you, UPS doesn't buy anything by the piece. They buy it buy the gross, the pallet load, the truck load, or the warehouse. The only way they would say one piece would cost them money is because they CAN.

It's funny this thread comes as it does. Friday night, I just happened to be talking to a friend on the phone about how much the railroad is screwing up, bringing in our trailers in late, costing the company sort, time and money; in the meantime, boosting many a feeder driver's pockets, as we sit at the railyard, waiting for hours on trailers.

He mentioned that his sister-in-law works accounting for one of the railroads that we use. According to her, UPS pays their bills at the very last second, just before they become past due.

Why?

Because they can. The longer they hold on to their money--vast sums of money--the more they gain. UPS might not have much to say about railroad on-time arrivals, but they have a lot to say about where and when their money goes.

Now go macro to micro. Do you really think a monolith like UPS feels the loss of a SINGLE, hand-held, data device? One of hundreds of thousands?

Of course not.

Unless, unless...they can hang it over the head of an hourly employee's head. Then, the costs of that DIAD costs a fortune.

And with the help of a bunch of internet vultures, they can almost make it sound like a true story.

Dracula

UPS doesn't buy them from the Website and the one UPS use aren't exactly like the one you see online. You have to add in the price of the software and other R+D cost. UPS most likely did get a Bulk price discount there are a limited amount of companies that supply hand scanners and even a smaller amount that supply ones that UPS could use.

Yeah, and anything with software and R&D costs, costs a fortune at first. And then, as time goes buy, the costs hit the floor. How long have you had that DIAD you currently use? As long as the laptop you use at home? How much do you think that laptop is worth after a year?

R & D and software costs are a walk-thru-the-door cost. Once you are through the door, those costs have vanished. You can't get them back. If your Intel core i7 Windows 7 gets stolen, try getting the face value back from your insurance company.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

When I was driving, the last DIAD was the last one before the smaller ones you guys now carry. They were made by an Israeli company that UPS bought outright. The way it was told to us, they bought the company so they could tomahawk the costs eliminate the profits in order benefit the mothership.

I highly doubt that only one company has the tech for the latest DIADS. And if more than one company makes them, their costs get harpooned by a company that always plays hardball.

I would be shocked if UPS pays anything close to $600 for the latest DIADS. They are basically a cell phone with a laser.

I love how this forum is built up where some guy can come on here and admit what he did wrong--a simple mistake--and a bunch of holy rollers tears the man down like a pack of ignorant supervisors. No wonder our union solidarity is neck and neck with the approval rating of Congress.

Pathetic.
Glad we got that straightened out!
You should all be ashamed!
Brotherhood ... Smotherhood!
Y'all just suck!

Dracula

Rarely do I argue.
I float like a boat on the ocean.
And throw up on myself.

Your post, reminds me, I need to get back out there, instead of constantly blowing up my older shots. Stretching the old, isn't making the new.

oldngray

nowhere special

Pathetic.

UPS has always bought companies for the tech instead of buying tech from a company.

helbert

That happened to my coworker two years ago someone found it a month after. BUT LP want to charge him for the diad $2,500 And suspension.

O

OLDMAN3

That happened to my coworker two years ago someone found it a month after. BUT LP want to charge him for the diad $2,500 And suspension.
Key word...WANTED. How could he be suspended without previous discipline? They were blowing smoke.

watdaflock?

Has this ever happened to anybody? I went back in my car to look for it no luck. I think it fell out of the car. Any idea what the consequences would be? Supervisor knows. Just wondering what the magnitude of the situation is.
55a939f6d301485dd75e3d30ecff7345e8edfced0aa7fa58a721a741e0eab376.jpg