Lost my Diad today

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Has this ever happened to anybody? I went back in my car to look for it no luck. I think it fell out of the car. Any idea what the consequences would be? Supervisor knows. Just wondering what the magnitude of the situation is.
Slow down Youngblood, if your in the truck and your driving put it back in diad slot or in your cup holder, problem solved. Better have a good lie ready lol.

Notretiredyet

Most of my stops require use of the handcart so I keep a pouch on it to put diad in rather than wearing it. On my hand carries I use the diad clip with the plastic belt holster, or the pocket of my vest if it's on. The only problem is dash slot doesn't fit properly with diad clip attached. Watched my clipboard bounce out of the truck many times after hitting a pothole, those holders were like springboards at a pool. One good bump would launch that clipboard faster than you could reach for it, and it would be on the floor at best.

worldwide

Lots of mid range smartphones are in the $600 range. I imagine the V is easily more expensive.

"The DIAD V's full specifications are roughly comparable to a low-end smartphone, with a 1GHz processor and 1GB of internal storage (expandable to 32GB with Micro SD.) Still, given that the last update was over five years ago, that's a big jump from the 400MHz processor and 128MB of memory on the DIAD IV. It's also moved from the Windows CE operating system to Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5."
http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/29/2833318/ups-diad-v-handheld-shipping-computer-launched

About 100,000 DIAD V's were deployed to the field.
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...build-next-gen-handhelds-for-ups-drivers.html

Although not about the DIAD V, this is an interesting read on DIAD IV. Technology is not cheap ($22M to develop DIAD IV and DIAD III cost $100M) but the positive is that generally speaking, overall costs will continue to be driven down as new technology emerges and much of the technology infrastructure is already built.

"Atlanta-based UPS spent $22 million to develop the DIAD IV, which will be used by 70,000 drivers worldwide, according to spokeswoman Donna Barrett."
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...7m-on-tri-mode-wireless-driver-terminals.html

oldngray

nowhere special
"The DIAD V's full specifications are roughly comparable to a low-end smartphone, with a 1GHz processor and 1GB of internal storage (expandable to 32GB with Micro SD.) Still, given that the last update was over five years ago, that's a big jump from the 400MHz processor and 128MB of memory on the DIAD IV. It's also moved from the Windows CE operating system to Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5."
http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/29/2833318/ups-diad-v-handheld-shipping-computer-launched

About 100,000 DIAD V's were deployed to the field.
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...build-next-gen-handhelds-for-ups-drivers.html

Although not about the DIAD V, this is an interesting read on DIAD IV. Technology is not cheap ($22M to develop DIAD IV and DIAD III cost $100M) but the positive is that generally speaking, overall costs will continue to be driven down as new technology emerges and much of the technology infrastructure is already built.

"Atlanta-based UPS spent $22 million to develop the DIAD IV, which will be used by 70,000 drivers worldwide, according to spokeswoman Donna Barrett."
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...7m-on-tri-mode-wireless-driver-terminals.html

I think the IV cost about $1400 when it first came out but the price had dropped to about $800 at the end of it's run. I'm not certain but those numbers popped into my head.

oldupsman

I left one on my back bumper once. Went back to look for it and a truck driver had it. I think it was DIAD 1. Would be like putting a TV tray in a pouch.
I always appreciated the Diad 3 and 4.
Their flat construction saved many a driver a mile down the road when they left it on the bumper :thumbup:

Left mine on DIAD 1 on the rear bumper the first month we had it. Drove half mile down the road to my next stop, looked at my
holder and realized what I had done. Ran to the back of the car and there it was on the bumper.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Those so called smartphones cost a lot due to demand, not because of its cost of production. I'm a business major, so I know what I'm talking about. UPS can get a ton of conpanies to produce them. And we all know the diad isnt all that technology sophisticated, UPS buy them in bulk - so eventually they get a discoun To sum this up, UPS doesnt pay over $600 per diad.

When you tell us, you know what you're talking about....

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1432346788.586613.jpg

oldupsman

We have a driver who had a rural route and lost his DIAD by sitting it on his truck. A road crew doing brush clearing on the side of the road found it TWO YEARS later and sat it on top of a road sign and the same driver recovered it. It was recharged and still worked! Couldn't believe it

Almost identical story. Driver on a rural route swerved to avoid a head-on on a narrow country road. Other drivers fault.
Put the package car on its side and rolled. Guy had on his belt. Not a scratch. DIAD flew out of the car. Couldn't find it.
Township called 6 months later saying the road crew found it. Still worked.

JackStraw

Never lost a DIAD, but many times I've walked out of a store without my hand truck. Next time I need it, I go to un-hook it, and "HUH? WTF?" LOL. One placwe had a price tag on it when I came back.

livin the dream

I would like to think the union would protect us from this, assuming it was a one time thing. obviously he didn't lose his board on purpose. then again, same goes for late air etc. obviously I didn't have late air on purpose

PT Car Washer

I would like to think the union would protect us from this, assuming it was a one time thing. obviously he didn't lose his board on purpose. then again, same goes for late air etc. obviously I didn't have late air on purpose
Having late air and loosing a $3000(?) piece of equipment is two different things. How many times a week do you expect to get away with it?

O

OLDMAN3

In 1991 I dropped the DIAD 1 as I was exiting the package car. It fell strait down the sewer grate. I called the sup and he came out. We both stared at the sewer opening and he eventually lifted up the grate so the opening was large enough to crawl down. He told me to crawl down and get the DIAD. NO ******* WAY!

He finally crawled down and got it. I also dropped one out the driver's door and it was run over by a truck resulting in a cool multi-colored pattern on the shattered screen.

Ring Sport

Never lost a DIAD, but have broke a couple over the years. Pulled the rear overhead down on one and busted a DIAD V fighting off two dogs. Screen doesn't hold up so well.

Geo926

Never lost a DIAD, but many times I've walked out of a store without my hand truck. Next time I need it, I go to un-hook it, and "HUH? WTF?" LOL. One placwe had a price tag on it when I came back.

Haha I've done this too. Left it in front of office buildings after loading up the truck from a pickup. Would come back an hour later and still sitting at the curb.