Low IQ's and Conservative Values Linked

bbsam

Staff member
When you say not taught, what does that mean?

Not mentioned?

Not included as a sidebar discussion of alternative thoughts?

Not discussed in the realm of evolution is a theory based on observable data in the physical world versus a metaphysical explanation?

I certainly do not support censoring it's discussion in school ... that will only drive people towards it.

Consider the source. Consider a text written 2500 years ago. What is observed in the physical world? Sun, moon, earth, sky, sea, fish, plant life, animals, man. How far off is this from evolution? Not far I would surmise considering the observable facts. Now, add in the metaphysical God as the beginning of it simply for the sake of having a beginning and without any human attributes to that God. Have we now moved too far from evolution? Could it be that the phrase "...and God created..." fills in the unknowable evolutionary changes? Because as far as the order goes, I think the Bible comes remarkably close.

bbsam

Staff member
True but the way I see it, in ALL cases, something doesn't come from nothing.

Hmmm, bet you didn't expect to see me say that now did ya!
:wink2:

BTW: Read the chapter 2 creation story from the standpoint of man moving from being a hunter-gather to an agrarian type existence and the story begins to reflect a much more observant writer as to the nature of mankind 10k years ago as he began a transitional process. Adam being made of the soil and in fact the hebrew for Adam being more a transliteration from the word aw-dam or ha-adom (the man) meaning ruddy or red which again can reflect the color of some soils. If you have a Strong's Concordance, you can look up the words translated Adam and man to see what I'm talking about.

Adam was instructed in regards to the garden almost in similar ways someone might tell a person to work the land and what about the word translated garden? In the hebrew it means a walled up or protected area or in another sense you could say that Eden instead of a garden was a kingdom or early city state of some kind. The hebrew word translated garden being gan gan meaning fenced but reflects back to a primitive root word ganan or gaw-nan meaning protect or defend.

When you consider the way the early "Kingdom" of Israel and it's religious symbols in the temple reflect back to the presence of god in the garden, the idea that Jesus was the last Adam so to speak, the idea of the Eden story begins in a way that early semitic man might have by oral traditions told his story of transitioning from hunter-gatherers to agrarian and then with the early Patriarchs, the building of the first city states and organized empires. The metaphysical aspects and the moral implications may have been added later, say during a Mosiac influence or priestly influence (see the "P" source in the documentary hypothesis) and the 2 stories are thus combined into the Eden story we know today.

These are the kinds of discussions that can open up as a result of discussing the creation story and I do agree they have merit but are christians ready for this? Especially in the face of impressionable children? I'd warmly welcome it but I can see real problems especially for fundamental christians.

And even the bible is evolutionary. Read it in relation to god, how god interacts with man and even the nature of how god manifests himself and god is a idea in continuing flux. For example, Adam and even Abraham walked with god almost in the same manner and we would walk with each other (even ate a meal with) but Moses was not allowed to see god except as a manifestation of a burning bush or as a mountain spewing fire and smoke. No man but the high priest could enter the Holy of Holies out of fear of seeing god and thus be struck down with death. And it's the Moses god that so resembles the Midianite volcano god and it's worth noting that Moses spent much time in Midian before returning to Egypt and this region does have active volcanic activity. And then in early means, god had man redeem for his sin by one measure of sacrifice and then during the temple era of ancient Israel, the method of sacrifice was done in numerous methods and then we have the final sacrifice in Jesus. Regardless of the reasons, it's still a evolving process to salvation throughout time so god's way are evolving ones. Can we be sure he won't change his mind again?

Again, are christians prepared to have their children exposed to such ideas and such discussions in the first place?
I think as Christians we are prepared and in fact I see absolutely nothing wrong with such discussions. Frankly, I would be disappointed in my faith if it would shrink from such rigor. It seems that many agnostics and athiests view religion as foolish and yet there are scores of men and women of faithe throughout history who have been anything but.

island1fox

:happy2: I am not trying to "hijack" this thread but I would value some of your opinions on the following.

My Sister is presently dating a very Liberal College Professor. Over martinis (a mistake) He bought up the subject of evolution and that he enjoyed teaching the theory of Darwinism as one of his courses.

I innocently asked him with the millions if not billions of people around the world that believed in some sort of "Intelligent Design or Deity" should that be also taught to students as a theory.

He became very agitated with me and claimed I knew nothing about seperation of Church and State. I stood my Martini ground and told him that he was very mistaken --I was not talking about teaching any specific religion but rather the theory of another type of Creation. To say the least --do not talk politics or religion with people you do not know with alcohol involved. We both ended up being jerks and saying things that we would later regret. What say you about teaching the "theory" of Intelligent design ?

bbsam

Staff member
:happy2: I am not trying to "hijack" this thread but I would value some of your opinions on the following.

My Sister is presently dating a very Liberal College Professor. Over martinis (a mistake) He bought up the subject of evolution and that he enjoyed teaching the theory of Darwinism as one of his courses.

I innocently asked him with the millions if not billions of people around the world that believed in some sort of "Intelligent Design or Deity" should that be also taught to students as a theory.

He became very agitated with me and claimed I knew nothing about seperation of Church and State. I stood my Martini ground and told him that he was very mistaken --I was not talking about teaching any specific religion but rather the theory of another type of Creation. To say the least --do not talk politics or religion with people you do not know with alcohol involved. We both ended up being jerks and saying things that we would later regret. What say you about teaching the "theory" of Intelligent design ?
I think the two of you are silly. At the college level, evolution can be taught in "science" classes and intelligent design in ethics, literature, humanities, philosophy, and religion. Why do you think the two HAVE to always occupy the same space?

island1fox

bbsam,

You sound like an expert. Are you a College Professor ??

You can easily find an evolution course in any College.

Mixing Intelligent Design with other courses ??? Or even finding it in Arts or Humanities ?? Said nothing about the same place .

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam,

You sound like an expert. Are you a College Professor ??

You can easily find an evolution course in any College.

Mixing Intelligent Design with other courses ??? Or even finding it in Arts or Humanities ?? Said nothing about the same place .
I may be confused. Why when he said he liked teaching evolution and Darwinism would you bring up intelligent design? What class was he teaching? As the professor, is it his call? Was it really an innocent question, or were you just trying to be a dick?

island1fox

bbsam,

Leave the personal attacks aside. I asked for an opinion. There are two very seperate schools of thought on this subject. There are many people for and there are many people against teaching "Intelligent Design" as a theory the same as other "Theorys" are taught in Public schools.

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam,

Leave the personal attacks aside. I asked for an opinion. There are two very seperate schools of thought on this subject. There are many people for and there are many people against teaching "Intelligent Design" as a theory the same as other "Theorys" are taught in Public schools.
Do you think there is a difference at the university level compared to the elementary level?

bbsam

Staff member
It's when you get to the university level that everyone gets messed up!! (IMO)
But isn't it at the university level when they are subjected to all the different theories of evolution, design, economics, quantum physics, philosophy, and others? Do you suggest ingorance of competing theories is preferential or that the messing up should begin at an earlier age?

moreluck

golden ticket member
But isn't it at the university level when they are subjected to all the different theories of evolution, design, economics, quantum physics, philosophy, and others? Do you suggest ingorance of competing theories is preferential or that the messing up should begin at an earlier age?
18 years of being one way.......one year in college and you're a damn atheist. You can believe any form of creation you want and I will accept it as long as God is the creator at the very start....like the drop of ooze in evolution....etc.

bbsam

Staff member
18 years of being one way.......one year in college and you're a damn atheist. You can believe any form of creation you want and I will accept it as long as God is the creator at the very start....like the drop of ooze in evolution....etc.

Ignorance is bliss? Really, universities don't breed athiests. Only when the individual stops asking questions or stops listening to answers does that happen.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Ignorance is bliss? Really, universities don't breed athiests. Only when the individual stops asking questions or stops listening to answers does that happen.
Well, my world has a "higher power" in it and that's the way, uh, uh ,I like it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I did say something close to this so I don't know for sure if that is what you are drawing from. I said that, in effect, science is a theory that is accepted with a faith that the studies and tests are all correct and none are fabricated or tweaked to show the results they want.

For something to come from nothing there must be a miracle involved.

OK, so let's say that in the beginning, there was nothing. Is nothing "something"? And what about God? Where did He come from? Who created Him? I've always heard the "always was, always is, always will be" line, but that's not sufficient. Really. Nobody knows the origins of the universe or God except through second-hand accounts or theory. Evolution seems much more plausible (to me), but it too fails to answer the question of where it all began.

island1fox

bbsam,

You act as there is no question or controversy concerning my question or this debate.
Ben Stein had a documentary entitled "Expelled"

Simple question: Why is the Theory of "Intelligent Design" not taught at public Universities.

I always thought Liberals were open to discuss all views and theories under their big tent.

One unproven theory is good to teach --Darwinism---Another unproven theory is not good to teach --Intelligent design ???

bbsam

Staff member
I'm under the impression that intelligent design is taught at public universities although it may not be called that and not all teachers may teach it.